Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened

Alright fellas,
    Here’s a scenario that’s playing out right now and I’m curious what y’all thoughts are. My FIL has 300 acres high fenced in south texas that he released a dozen axis on. For two years they were fine and reproducing, the whole 9 yards. Well over the last year pre freeze there are zero on the property. None on cameras, none seen in person for a full year now. I’m thinking the guy he pays to fill feeders either brought in day hunters while he wasn’t there or trapped them and sold.
    Thoughts?

What happened

Hard to say. Maybe hole in the fence somewhere. Hard to think someone would be as stupid to wipe out a whole herd on a property he was supposed to be watching/feeding. I can see a couple maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any predators on the place?

We purchased 9 axis and in 2 months coyotes cleaned them out! Now we killed all the coyotes and installed predator wire around the entire place. Starting to see fawns and less animals stressed from being chased to death.

Coyotes love Axis and Blackbuck!

Comment

Coyotes

Comment

. I’m thinking the guy he pays to fill feeders either brought in day hunters while he wasn’t there or trapped them and sold.
          Why do you think that? Is he sketchy or have a past with this kind of stuff?

Comment

I try to assume the best of people but I might be a little suspicious of the guy he hired to feed if that guy has never said a word about seeing fewer animals, signs of other hunters, animal remains or any thing strange.

You would think if they died naturally and you were out there with any frequency, assuming there were multiple feeding locations, that he would have seen some indication worth mentioning to the guy paying him.

Comment

1. Whole in fence line, or maybe a gate was left open
              2. Coyotes or cats.
              3. Poached
              4. Trapped and sold

I know a guy in south Texas that put axis, fallow and blackbuck on 500 acres HF. Around 30 animals. He had about 20 missing in no time. 2 big cats cleaned him out. Got them on game came.

Comment

300 is small enough that they could not hide so they are either dead or some how got out.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  300 is small enough that they could not hide so they are either dead or some how got out.
                  I think they could easily hide on 300 acres in s Texas but I would expect some game cam photos? I would bet coyotes.

Comment

UFOs

Comment

Maybe they went to vote.
                      Last edited by JWHunt; 03-12-2021, 09:11 PM.

Comment

If I suspected the guy who was watching my place had something to do with vanishing critters I would be changing guys watching my place ASAP

Comment

Curious if you get a response you and your family didnt already consider

Comment

Well here’s one. Guy I know has a 100 acres high fenced home place. Has about 8-10 axis. We see them about every 3 months. Every time I think something got to them they show themselves then disappear again for a couple months

Comment

Coyotes and bobcats.

Coyote population In south Texas is a lot greater than the hill country where they are used to living in. Bobcats kill them also... look in the creek bottoms that’s where the bobcats will ambush while the deer are watering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X