Kids rifle build opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids rifle build opinion

I’ve been wanting to build a rifle for my kids using a manners cs stock for the adjustable LOP.

I would like some opinions on cartage. Something that would be a little more efficient in a 16-18” barrel shooting around 100grain bullet.

A 12” suppressed Grendel is what my oldest shoots now and it kills just fine but I would like to get a bolt gun built. I figure I will get my money’s worth with 4 boys under the age of 8.

I was considering doing a SBR bolt gun with a switch lug for when they get older and want to shoot something different, but I don’t know if it would be worth the hassle.

25-06 or the boring old .243

Comment

I’m planning on using a short action so 25-06 would be out. I’m not sure if there is a good option for 25 cal in a short action. Maybe 25 wssm but not sure how they recoil and I would HAVE to reload for it.
      I was thinking maybe the 6mm creed but I don’t know if it would have too much recoil either. The rifle will be suppressed when the kids are shooting.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

4 boys under 8, I'd get them a howa mini in grendel right now and start working on a 260 build.

Comment

While I’m not a 308 fan....it’s hard to beat the efficiency of it in a short barrel. Roll 110-125 grain bullets and let em eat.

6 creed. 7-08. Both would be good. Or a 22 creed or fast twist 22-250.

Grendel is best suited for a gas gun. Way better options for bolt actions.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              While I’m not a 308 fan....it’s hard to beat the efficiency of it in a short barrel. Roll 110-125 grain bullets and let em eat.
              In my opinion, the .308, 7-08 or .260 is very hard to beat for this application. I am a big .308 fan and can't think of a better whitetail or pig gun that is polite enough for the shoulders of growing young men. Personally since we are giving opinions, I would stay away from the .243. in my mind it is fantastic for yotes, blackbuck and javie sized critters but doesn't have the muscle for big heavy pigs caked in Texas mud.
              Last edited by Jon B; 03-03-2021, 04:51 AM.

Comment

My 4yr old has been practicing with his 8yr old brothers howa mp1500 6.5 creedmoore. He shoots it well enough to harvest a deer or hog but he's not ready to take a life yet. The 8yr old on the other hand, he's been keeping me busy at the cleaning station!!! The gun is pretty heavy so there's not much recoil and it shoots really well!

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Comment

If the gun is going to be suppressed, go with a 6.5 CM and load up some 100gr barnes. I've got one cut to 16.5" suppressed and barely notice any recoil. Pigs were all DRT and the buck I shot went 50 yards.

As they get older and want to go after bigger game, you can load up some 140gr. and kill basically anything in Texas.

Comment

I put this 6 Creed together for my nephew on a Manners CS. He’s the smallest 5 year old in his class be a full head, and he handles it just fine on his own. That said he’s using my barreled action for the time being, but his action is sitting in my safe and we’re just waiting on the barrel to come in. Going with a 20” carbon 6 Creed shooting factory 103s like he’s been doing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	694ED872-5818-4A70-B4CC-7E2584108E13.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	24645529

He’s killed 4 pigs with it in the last 2-3 months, and none have made it more than 20 yds. I’ve killed a lot more than that with it, and few rarely run. Personally I prefer the 108 ELDM for hogs. I’ve got a pretty good body count on my 22 Creed for hogs as well, and Trophy8 can attest to its abilities for dropping them.
                    Last edited by TX03RUBI; 03-03-2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Just do the 6 creed and then it can double as your truck gun we've been talking about....do it

Comment

Short/heavy barreled .243, 7-08, .308, 6.5 Creed, 6 Creed. I wouldn't worry about velocity losses with the short barrel as I'd bet shots at critters will be sub 300.

Comment

243 with 18'-20' threaded barrel. Tons of versatility from blazing fast predator rounds to heavier deer rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                            I put this 6 Creed together for my nephew on a Manners CS. He’s the smallest 5 year old in his class be a full head, and he handles it just fine on his own. That said he’s using my barreled action for the time being, but his action is sitting in my safe and we’re just waiting on the barrel to come in. Going with a 20” carbon 6 Creed shooting factory 103s like he’s been doing.

He’s killed 4 pigs with it in the last 2-3 months, and none have made it more than 20 yds. I’ve killed a lot more than that with it, and few rarely run. Personally I prefer the 108 ELDM for hogs. I’ve got a pretty good body count on my 22 Creed for hogs as well, and Trophy8 can attest to its abilities for dropping them.
                            Good to hear. My kids are on the small side also so I’m glad to hear it fits him well.
                            Any reason you went with the CS vs the CS2?

I kinda like the CS for the narrower and shorter forend but I don’t know if you can find them.

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
                              Just do the 6 creed and then it can double as your truck gun we've been talking about....do it
                              Maybe... just maybe. I’ll just tell the better half it’s for the kids lol

Comment

Working...
                              X