No announcement yet.

Hagerman Nocona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well against all odds, I managed to get it done this weekend. Took the first deer of my life on Sunday morning, big mature doe at 15 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_DeerVito View Post
      Well against all odds, I managed to get it done this weekend. Took the first deer of my life on Sunday morning, big mature doe at 15 yards.
      Congrats!

Comment

Congrats, post up some pictures

Comment

Tried adding one to the first post, but it kept giving my fits so I went without
          Last edited by Danny_DeerVito; 11-30-2020, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Tried adding one to the first post, but it kept giving my fits so I went without
            I had a little one antlered buck, he was broke off, came right in to the base of my tree and got a pass. Haven’t seen the big boy yet.

Comment

Originally posted by firemedic731 View Post
              I had a little one antlered buck, he was broke off, came right in to the base of my tree and got a pass. Haven’t seen the big boy yet.
              Think I saw the same little guy mid-morning on Saturday. Being that I was out there for some meat and my first kill he may have not been so lucky if he hadn’t kept his distance from me lol.
              Besides him and the doe I was fortunate to take, my buddy and I only saw one other small 8. Hard to tell at times if he was legal or not, but never got close enough where we had to make that decision.
              Worth noting that the 8pt was following around the doe I took, but didn’t see him until a few minutes after my shot. Just wasn’t passing up my first shot opportunity on an old doe.

Comment

Finally managed to get the images working, had to resize it.
                Being by myself, could only take some pictures like this. Not any good references to judge the size, but it felt like she was around 100-110lbs after field dressing.
                Double lung and clipped the heart, ran less than 80yds and died in the creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally managed to get the images working, had to resize it.
                  Being by myself, could only take some pictures like this. Not any good references to judge the size, but it felt like she was around 100-110lbs after field dressing.
                  Double lung and clipped the heart, ran less than 80yds and died in the creek.

nice shot! ahhhh the ole creek... walking that sand has kicked my butt many times. After the last trip my calves hurt for 3 days. how did you get her out? I brought my meat hauling pack, was planning on quartering it in the field and packing it out if I get one.

Comment

nice shot! ahhhh the ole creek... walking that sand has kicked my butt many times. After the last trip my calves hurt for 3 days. how did you get her out? I brought my meat hauling pack, was planning on quartering it in the field and packing it out if I get one.

It’s definitely quite the workout, always gets my hips more than anything.
                    Typically went out there by myself and had the same plan, packing out the pieces.
                    But had a buddy out there hunting also this time, so we strung her up over a 1.5-inch thick “log” and carried her out, then came back for our gear. All-in-all about 4hrs to field dress and get everything to the gate (from about 1.5 miles in).
                    I might invest in a little sled for next season, probably the best option for traveling through sand and all that tall grass.

Comment

It’s definitely quite the workout, always gets my hips more than anything.
                      Typically went out there by myself and had the same plan, packing out the pieces.
                      But had a buddy out there hunting also this time, so we strung her up over a 1.5-inch thick “log” and carried her out, then came back for our gear. All-in-all about 4hrs to field dress and get everything to the gate (from about 1.5 miles in).
                      I might invest in a little sled for next season, probably the best option for traveling through sand and all that tall grass.

We must be hunting the same area... trying not to plaster the info all over the internet though lol. But I ran into a guy at the gate and he said he talked to the game warden, said everyone hunts that area too. Thought it was a little harder to get to and not many people would go that far back but apparently I was wrong. That’s where my camera was that got broken into. I was looking at the hawk crawler cart, but I think even that would still be worse than packing it out. Maybe look at the jet sled.

Comment

But hey, congrats on the doe, glad it wasn’t a buck one less hunter to worry about haha kinda stinks that it’s a one deer county but I’m getting to the point I need meat so I might stop passing on deer and start letting arrows fly soon.

Comment

We must be hunting the same area... trying not to plaster the info all over the internet though lol. But I ran into a guy at the gate and he said he talked to the game warden, said everyone hunts that area too. Thought it was a little harder to get to and not many people would go that far back but apparently I was wrong. That’s where my camera was that got broken into. I was looking at the hawk crawler cart, but I think even that would still be worse than packing it out. Maybe look at the jet sled.

Yep the more people I meet out there, the more I realize almost everyone is going in there at least a mile.

Comment

But hey, congrats on the doe, glad it wasn’t a buck one less hunter to worry about haha kinda stinks that it’s a one deer county but I’m getting to the point I need meat so I might stop passing on deer and start letting arrows fly soon.

Much appreciated! Yeah I figured I’d go ahead and get out of y’all’s way lol.
                            Given what I’ve heard about how hard it was hunted last year, probably gonna be better in the long run that it’s just one deer.
                            Good luck the rest of the season, interested to see if anyone closes the deal on the big guy in there.

Comment

Be very careful if you drive north of Nocona to where the turn off to Lake Nocona is at. There’s a yellow flashing light on the north and south approach. People sitting at the stop sign will pull right in front of oncoming traffic. There have been some really bad wrecks there. I’ve had numerous people whip out in front of me while I was pulling long trailers.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
                                Be very careful if you drive north of Nocona to where the turn off to Lake Nocona is at. There’s a yellow flashing light on the north and south approach. People sitting at the stop sign will pull right in front of oncoming traffic. There have been some really bad wrecks there. I’ve had numerous people whip out in front of me while I was pulling long trailers.

I would camp at one of the parks on the lake and that interchange always made me nervous. So difficult to see any traffic coming from either direction, having a hill just north of the light and a turn in the road just south.
                                It’s a little easier at night when you can use headlights to judge it, but I would still always accelerate hard out of that turn just in case.

Comment

Working...
                                X