Texas justice gone wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heron View Post
    The better question is "WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE"!?!

First, there was no conviction of rape/sexual assault, thus no "rapist".

Second, I would have hoped that the well publicized rush to judgment in the Kavanaugh situation would have eliminated posts like this - NOTHING WAS PROVEN IN A COURT OF LAW. THE PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE FOR THE ACCUSED IS STILL A GOOD INSTITUTION THAT SOME OF YOU WOULD FOOLISHLY DISMISS NOT THINKING ABOUT HOW THAT COULD COME BACK AROUND AND BITE YOU OR ONE OF YOUR LOVED ONES!!! BASICALLY, STOP AND THINK BEFORE YOU POST POTENTIALLY SELF DEFEATING GARBAGE LIKE THIS!!! OTHERWISE, YOU ARE AS GUILTY AS ANYONE ON THE LEFT FOR PREJUDGING OTHERS!!!

Now, for those who deal in more than just naive/juvenile/knee-jerk emotions (as played upon by the "source" ABC (and other such petty "sources") - the parent company of the ever-so-trustworthy ESPN (who have given us such admirable heroes as Michael Sams and Caitlyn Jenner)), consider the propriety of applying basic, fundamental due process rights as guaranteed under the Constitution (versus trial by biased media and the brain challenged who gleefully react to such biased reports) such as (1.) the presumption of innocence (sadly, dismissed these days if you are a male accused of assaulting a female), (2.) the right to a trial by jury of your peers (as was discouraged by the Obama Administration's "Dear Colleagues" Letter applying to Title IX cases), (3.) the right to cross examine one's accuser (again, discouraged by the Obama admin.), and (4.) the right to be represented by legal counsel (see denial of such by Obama admin's letter - not a law approved by Congress or even a Regulation, but simply an authoritarian edict).

Basically, the point is that just because you see something on Mickey Mouse TV (ABC) doesn't make it true. The fundamental, due process protections that have been put in place over the last couple of CENTURIES are there to protect the innocent accused. AN ACCUSATION/ALLEGATION IS NOT A CONVICTION!!! FOR ANYONE WHO QUESTIONS THAT, PLEASE TAKE SEVERAL MOMENTS (HOURS, DAYS, YEARS OR WHATEVER IT TAKES) TO LET THAT SINK IN!!!

While I know nothing about either the accuser or the accused, I am a firm believer in various Constitutional protections that I (and you or your loved ones) would want in the event that I would ever be falsely accused of a crime. Until proven in a court of law with representation for both parties in front of a jury of my peers with a right to cross examine my accuser and review all evidence brought by my accuser (including evidence that would contradict my accuser's version (keep in mind the old saying that "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned") such as, in this case, the accuser claimed to have been drugged yet blood tests found no support for this claim) and any lack of support of such claims.

To summarize, don't be a sucker when you don't know all the facts and certainly don't draw conclusions based on what an overtly liberal media source feeds you. Even if it somehow makes you feel good or justified or "righteous".
    I agree with all of this, but it also doesn't mean that nothing happened......

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
      What is going on with our state? Texas use to put criminals away. Now they are letting them walk free.
      Here a college student is convicted of reap and gets a slap on the wrist.https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/n...ity-party-rape
      Then a man cuts someone up and puts body parts on a back yard grill. The victim's cousin helps and testified but the man is found not guilty! https://abc13.com/not-guilty-verdict...tonio/4890455/
      I could see this if was in California but I just don't understand this is happening in this great state.
      He was never convicted of rape

Comment

Originally posted by smtx View Post
        the first one. Remember when waco cops played judge, jury, and executioner and shot innocent bikers? Yea nothing surprises me there

and baylor money strong. College towns hide things. Theres a lot of crime that happens in san marcos that no one hears about just so people don't get scared and stop sending their kids.

Follow the money.. Anywhere you are
        ^^^^ this

Comment

The better question is "WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE"!?!

First, there was no conviction of rape/sexual assault, thus no "rapist".

Second, I would have hoped that the well publicized rush to judgment in the Kavanaugh situation would have eliminated posts like this - NOTHING WAS PROVEN IN A COURT OF LAW. THE PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE FOR THE ACCUSED IS STILL A GOOD INSTITUTION THAT SOME OF YOU WOULD FOOLISHLY DISMISS NOT THINKING ABOUT HOW THAT COULD COME BACK AROUND AND BITE YOU OR ONE OF YOUR LOVED ONES!!! BASICALLY, STOP AND THINK BEFORE YOU POST POTENTIALLY SELF DEFEATING GARBAGE LIKE THIS!!! OTHERWISE, YOU ARE AS GUILTY AS ANYONE ON THE LEFT FOR PREJUDGING OTHERS!!!

Now, for those who deal in more than just naive/juvenile/knee-jerk emotions (as played upon by the "source" ABC (and other such petty "sources") - the parent company of the ever-so-trustworthy ESPN (who have given us such admirable heroes as Michael Sams and Caitlyn Jenner)), consider the propriety of applying basic, fundamental due process rights as guaranteed under the Constitution (versus trial by biased media and the brain challenged who gleefully react to such biased reports) such as (1.) the presumption of innocence (sadly, dismissed these days if you are a male accused of assaulting a female), (2.) the right to a trial by jury of your peers (as was discouraged by the Obama Administration's "Dear Colleagues" Letter applying to Title IX cases), (3.) the right to cross examine one's accuser (again, discouraged by the Obama admin.), and (4.) the right to be represented by legal counsel (see denial of such by Obama admin's letter - not a law approved by Congress or even a Regulation, but simply an authoritarian edict).

Basically, the point is that just because you see something on Mickey Mouse TV (ABC) doesn't make it true. The fundamental, due process protections that have been put in place over the last couple of CENTURIES are there to protect the innocent accused. AN ACCUSATION/ALLEGATION IS NOT A CONVICTION!!! FOR ANYONE WHO QUESTIONS THAT, PLEASE TAKE SEVERAL MOMENTS (HOURS, DAYS, YEARS OR WHATEVER IT TAKES) TO LET THAT SINK IN!!!

While I know nothing about either the accuser or the accused, I am a firm believer in various Constitutional protections that I (and you or your loved ones) would want in the event that I would ever be falsely accused of a crime. Until proven in a court of law with representation for both parties in front of a jury of my peers with a right to cross examine my accuser and review all evidence brought by my accuser (including evidence that would contradict my accuser's version (keep in mind the old saying that "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned") such as, in this case, the accuser claimed to have been drugged yet blood tests found no support for this claim) and any lack of support of such claims.

To summarize, don't be a sucker when you don't know all the facts and certainly don't draw conclusions based on what an overtly liberal media source feeds you. Even if it somehow makes you feel good or justified or "righteous".
          So by your telling of the story - he is innocent.

Was there not a punishment passed down? What was that punishment for? Did the judge just create the consequences out of thin air?

Comment

Apart from the whole rapist/not rapist thing, how is it the dude that suffocated then BBQ'ed the other guy gets totally let off, while the cousin, who struck a plea deal to testify against the BBQ guy, gets 30 years?! Did I read that right? How the F does that happen?!

Comment

So...should every applicant to an institute of higher learning go through a criminal background check? And where do you draw the line? Sexual assault? Simple misdemeanor assault so a fist fight keeps you out? How about an arrest without a conviction.
              And what about if its years later and and the alleged perpetrator has been on the straight and narrow for years?

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                The accusation of rape isn’t enough to be considered guilty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                This. Prosecutor lost a similar case the week before and lost. Punishment is what they recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by bps3040 View Post
                  This. Prosecutor lost a similar case the week before and lost. Punishment is what they recommended.

I’ve seen enough false rape accusations in my life it’s hard for me to take them serious without concrete evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    Apart from the whole rapist/not rapist thing, how is it the dude that suffocated then BBQ'ed the other guy gets totally let off, while the cousin, who struck a plea deal to testify against the BBQ guy, gets 30 years?! Did I read that right? How the F does that happen?!
                    I guess the jury felt that grilling meat wasn't against the law.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                      I agree with all of this, but it also doesn't mean that nothing happened......
                      I agree and appreciate the fact that you are willing to look beyond rivalry which is petty when compared to a young man's life and precedent that may affect others across the country. As far as I know, the young man may be guilty of rape. But that has not been proven in a court of law as determined by a jury of his peers.

My concern is that news from various media sources is taken as truth in this country with little thought as to the consequences.
                      Last edited by Heron; 12-14-2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                        So by your telling of the story - he is innocent.

Was there not a punishment passed down? What was that punishment for? Did the judge just create the consequences out of thin air?
                        As has been well documented, the accused was "innocent" of rape under Texas law. I don't know if he is a rapist or not. My concern is with the diminishing presumption of innocence in cases where males are accused of rape/sexual assault and ongoing trial by media in such cases. After the Obama "Dear Colleagues" letter and the Kavanaugh hearings, you should be concerned about that as well, especially if you have any children or loved ones who may attend college.

Comment

While the Texas justice system is far from perfect, how many truly innocent people would you convict in order to convict someone who is truly guilty of the crime of which they are accused?

Seriously, please give me a number of how many innocent persons you are willing to sacrifice for "justice"?

PS - to be fair, the innocent persons might be you or a loved one. We're talking principle here, not true justice.
                          Zero innocent people should ever be locked up.

And that's why its beyond reasonable doubt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

All I can say in reference to people rushing to judgement, and all the talk about convicting on such and such. While working as LEO, I would rather see 10 "guilty people" walk than one innocent person serve prison sentence. I don't know much about this Waco deal, only what I see reported by the News, and I would not **** on half those reporters if their brain was on fire.

Thought I would never say stuff like that after being in law enforcement for 30-years, but one thing I can say I've learned in the past 7 or 8 years, there are some LEO's that couldn't investigate their way out of a wet paper sack if it was open on both ends. Some are just lazy.....Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of really good LEO's, but that handful is what is the problem.

And, I take it that most of the people on TBH are God fearing Americans, then as such, you should take a moment and read the Constitution. Innocent until proven Guilty....

And I will say, as a Private Investigator, I can say that I've been appointed to assist the defense on 3 sexual assault cases where the man was facing a long prison sentence. One was facing a life sentence, mostly because he had been to prison twice before for other reasons. When it was all said and done, my investigation showed that the woman had lied about the alleged rape because she wanted revenge against him. And the DA about freaked out when I presented him with a 13-page written statement from the woman on how she lied, why she lied and the fact she still wanted him to go to prison. Oh, and the video of her telling me the entire story about the lie was just the icing on the cake.

So enough, and somebody go to the classifieds and buy my AR-15
                            Last edited by DFWPI; 12-14-2018, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                              I’ve seen enough false rape accusations in my life it’s hard for me to take them serious without concrete evidence.

Yep. One of my friends used to prosecute rape in a large metro area in Texas. He became jaded due to the large number of "victims" who ultimately recanted and were apparently trying to hide their behavior from spouses/fiances/boyfriends and parents. Not all accusers fell into this category but enough to put this prosecutor on his guard. False accusations of rape are, sadly, very common.

Comment

I usually don’t post much BUT this is a really a Sore subject with me. There is a lot of opionions here on guilt or not and this and that. I can’t really go into detail but till
                                You have a loved one taken away and the family is really thrown to the wolves you really don’t understand how many rights the criminals really have. I’m out but our Judicial system is lacking a lot

Comment

Working...
                                X