Calling TBH GMC/Chevy mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling TBH GMC/Chevy mechanics

What would cause a 2014 GMC Yukon 5.3l vortec motor to die when you shift it into gear?

Car was running good, wife left and went to town on short trip. No problems. Came back parked car and about 30 minutes later I am going to move it in driveway. Crank it and shift it into gear and it dies. Did this 5 or 6 times. Runs smooth and will accelerate if you push gas petal in neutral as normal.
    I even tried stepping on brake and giving it gas to drive and as soon as I shift it into gear it dies like someone turning the key off.

I have never ran into this on any other vehicles. Anyone got any ideas?

Not an expert but maybe fuel pump going out.

Comment

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of that. Almost sounds like a safety switch if it were a lawnmower/tractor/etc…but I can’t think of any safety feature that would cut off a Tahoe…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All I gotClick image for larger version

Name:	c7a85977ee5721cb7af2cffa72ed9ba5.gif
Views:	1
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	24687132

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

gotta love electircal problems. you need a wiring diagram to help find the gremlin. Look for the 12v and grounds into and out of the TCM transmission control module. then you will need to get after it with a meter to find it.

Comment

Lockup converter not unlocking?

Comment

Update on this
              Car never dropped any codes. I put two cans of SeaFoam in it and two days later after it idled for a little while it drove again. Took it to the mechanic he hooked it up and it didn’t show any codes. We think it was bad gas. Drives like it always did now.

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
                Not an expert but maybe fuel pump going out.
                Could be, but if the pump was going out bad enough to where the vehicle dies when putting it in gear, it would likely run rough even when in Park or Neutral.

OP, I can’t say for certain as all the electronic crap on newer vehicles complicates things so it could well be a relay or something else electronic. That said, I had an older Ford truck years ago that developed a vacuum leak and did the same thing. I don’t remember what the exact issue was as that’s been over 30 years ago so apologies if I’m sending you on a wild goose chase there.

Comment

Clean the throttle body out thoroughly, with some carb cleaner. Open the throttle blade, spray the bore, and both sides of the blade, then wipe the bore and blade down, till they are nice and clean.

On fly by wire systems, when the throttle body gets gummed up, the computer does not compensate for the lack of air flow, by opening the throttle blade more. So they will die randomly, aft first, when there is more of a load put on the engine, such as being put in gear. Later as the build up gets worse, they just flat won't start.

Comment

TCC solenoid. Torque Converter control is what it sounds like to me. You should be able to disconnect it to see if that solves the problem?

Hey guys - hopefully this hasn't been beaten to death on here already...but my searches were giving all sorts of results. The long version...I've got an 06 3500 with the 6.0L-4L80e combo in it. Truck has 270K (170 miles) and I don't have the full history but it has always driven and shifted perfe...
                    Last edited by savage1134; 07-30-2022, 12:49 PM. Reason: Adding link

Comment

Working...
                    X