Sucker rods as rebar??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sucker rods as rebar??

Steph and I were wanting to build a small pavilion to entertain/dance on.. 20x30 or 30x30

One of the ideas I had was to pour the concrete myself, and use sucker rod instead of rebar.. I have plenty of 5/8 sucker rod I can use… do I have to have rebar, or will this work fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like it would work, but you might want to look at selling the sucker rod and buying rebar. I'm sure the sucker rod is more expensive per lb.

Comment

I'm thinking you'd want rebar with its rough surface so that it anchors within the concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by BernieH View Post
        I'm thinking you'd want rebar with its rough surface so that it anchors within the concrete.
        This. I would assume sucker rod is way too slick

Comment

For something that small I would just go fiber reinforced concrete and forget the rebar. I have a 25 x 25 carport the has had a diesel F250 and a Honda Accord on it for the last 6 years and it doesn't have a single crack. It's 5 1/2" thick and the only footers are were I put my weld plates. Not a single beam in it.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
            Seems like it would work, but you might want to look at selling the sucker rod and buying rebar. I'm sure the sucker rod is more expensive per lb.
            Originally posted by BernieH View Post
            Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
            This. I would assume sucker rod is way too slick

Add these three up... best advice!! The shape of re-bar is what it is for a reason... keeps the concrete from sliding up and down on the re-bar... Sucker rod is made to have a smooth finish so it will slide smoothly back and forth through the pack-off without wearing the packing down... consequently it won't allow the concrete to adhere to it and hold it steady/keep it from moving/cracking...

Comment

Use rebar and do it right. You are talking $600 in rebar for a 30 x 30.

Comment

If it isn’t going to be heavy load bearing, consider remesh instead of rebar. And make sure you put down a vapor barrier before pouring

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Add these three up... best advice!! The shape of re-bar is what it is for a reason... keeps the concrete from sliding up and down on the re-bar... Sucker rod is made to have a smooth finish so it will slide smoothly back and forth through the pack-off without wearing the packing down... consequently it won't allow the concrete to adhere to it and hold it steady/keep it from moving/cracking...
                  That won't matter. Rebar is for load transfer.

My point is that 5/8 sucker rod is overkill for something that only needs 3/8 rebar.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                    If it isn’t going to be heavy load bearing, consider remesh instead of rebar. And make sure you put down a vapor barrier before pouring
                    Mesh is more expensive than rebar right now.

Comment

No ridges on sucker rods.

Comment

I'm really surprised no one has asked what the substrate is. Really makes a difference. Forgive my ignorance but I'm not familiar with Cuero.

Comment

If it was me at my house with free rod.I would use the rod and get fiberglass mix in the concrete.Good sub grade and that combo will carry a lot of weight for a long long time.

Comment

Sell the sucker rod and buy rebar and spent the rest on refreshments.

Comment

Rebar holds the concrete together with its ridges, sucker rod is to slick.

Comment

Working...
                              X