Clear All

Stolen Rifle

Ruger M77 Mark II
    Chambered in .223 Remington
    Black Synthetic Stock / Stainless Steel Barrel
    Leupold 3x9 VARI-X II Scope
    Serial No. 78390459
    Engraved Name and “1996” on floorplate

This is my brother’s first rifle, and I own an exact twin (see photo). My Dad bought these for us in 1996 and had our names engraved in the floor plates. When Dad passed in August, I went home and found the rifle missing from his safe. He had a pretty massive stroke a year or so earlier, and was not very cognizant of his surroundings, etc., so I can imagine stealing a gun from him would have been relatively easy.

I immediately reported the stolen firearm to the Burnet County Sheriff’s Dept. and it was logged in the FBI’s NCIC database. The likelihood of it showing up in a pawn shop or gun store is slim, but if it does, the serial number will tip off the FBI’s system and it will eventually get back to us.

I just thought I’d put this on TBH because someone may come across the gun somehow and help my brother get it back.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bobcat13; 05-02-2019, 09:24 AM.

That stinks man. We went through something similar when my Papa passed. We found guns that we had no idea where/when he got them or if he borrowed, traded or bought them. We also couldn't find one that we knew he had. I am afraid your situation will be similar in the fact that you might not ever find out the truth but I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Don’t give up hope . . . I had a rifle (and several other firearms) stolen many years ago and got the rifle back 20 years later. It showed up at a pawn shop. Was well used, but I had the action trued and fitted with a 6.5-284 custom barrel. It’s a fine shooter now.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
        Don’t give up hope . . . I had a rifle (and several other firearms) stolen many years ago and got the rifle back 20 years later. It showed up at a pawn shop. Was well used, but I had the action trued and fitted with a 6.5-284 custom barrel. It’s a fine shooter now.
        Man that is awesome.

Comment

Still no sign of the shotgun, rimfire rifle, or revolver. Still glad to get the rifle back - the first centerfire rifle I ever bought.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
            I hope we're this lucky. The detective told me more often than not, you never see it again, but he's returned some guns after they turned up thirty years later.

Comment

There is a high demand for those Zytel stock 77's so it may turn up. They are becoming more rare all the time and especially with the engraving it's unique. I would try searching gun broker every so often also. Good luck with the search, hope it makes it's way back to your brother.

Comment

Will keep an eye out. What name is engraved on the floorplate?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  "Billy Jack Jay"

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    Or two, kinda like the Bobcat in his avatar!
                    Last edited by uttlc; 05-02-2019, 11:33 AM. Reason: I think that's a bobcat...

Comment

My brother had his house robbed and all his guns stole years ago. He reported it like you. Several years later a guy was busted road hunting by Game Warden and he had one of my brothers rifles. Ironically, someone we knew. Don’t loose hope, it will turn up. Crooks be stupid!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What are the chances that a shady family member could have stole it??

Comment

Any possibility of him giving it away or selling it on accident?

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Do you think it was stolen when he was still at home, or after he passed ? My 1st thought is, if it’s the only gun/thing missing from the home, he sold/traded it or someone who has access to his stuff friend/family took it. Was the home broken into? Did he have a nurse coming over?

Comment

If the house wasn’t robbed, l bet it’s sitting in a family/friends or caretakers house now. If he didn’t get rid of himself

Comment

Working...
                              X