Gun for bear hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meathunter View Post
    I am going bear hunting in April. Spoke to the guide and was told to expect shots out to 700 yards. It is spot and stalk. Anyways, speaking to the guide he said he prefers hunters to shoot 300 win mags. That is a lot of gun. Anyone with bear hunting experience have any thoughts on a caliber that will reach out there and still have some knock down power. Just do not want to buy a gun for one hunt. I own a .270, 7mm-08, 6.5 creedmore, .243, 30-30, .223 and do not know if any of these will get it done. I know shot placement will be key, as it is with any shot. I was thinking of picking up a 308, but do not know much about the caliber.
    by the range he is saying as possible i am going to go out on a limb here and guess we are not talking about black bears and it looks like everyone is assuming it is,,,, if it is black the 270 or 7mm08 would do, maybe in the 6.5.... but if it is grizzly or brown bears i would listen to him,,,,, i would maybe even consider something bigger, like a 338.....

Comment

7-08..

Caliber don’t mater if you can’t make a shot past 500 yards.

Comment

It is black bear. He said they will see them across a valley sometimes, making for long shots. He also told me that his clients physical conditioning often plays a role in how close he can get them. I plan on showing up in shape. As far as not wanting to shoot a gun that caliber, I have no problem shooting any gun. I have killed elk with a .243. I am a shot placement guy. Just don’t want to spend the coin on another gun that will be used for one hunt.

Comment

I’m heading to NM for black bear in Oct and we’re going to use 30-30. But we’re using dogs and taking em that way.
          I may be speaking prematurely but I’d consider letting you borrow my 300WM. We’d need to talk a bit more first. May be others willing to do the same closer to you.

Comment

If your guide can only get you within 700 yards of a black bear ... he sucks!

They're soft animals. Your favorite deer rifle is adequate.
            Study shot placement before you go.

Comment

I’m heading to NM for black bear in Oct and we’re going to use 30-30. But we’re using dogs and taking em that way.
              I may be speaking prematurely but I’d consider letting you borrow my 300WM. We’d need to talk a bit more first. May be others willing to do the same closer to you.

Comment

Originally posted by meathunter View Post
                It is black bear. He said they will see them across a valley sometimes, making for long shots. He also told me that his clients physical conditioning often plays a role in how close he can get them. I plan on showing up in shape. As far as not wanting to shoot a gun that caliber, I have no problem shooting any gun. I have killed elk with a .243. I am a shot placement guy. Just don’t want to spend the coin on another gun that will be used for one hunt.

If you plan on being in shape just make sure they are too. 700 yards seems to be the lazy answer and way to many variables at that range. Spot them and hump it to get them within sub 350 and use anything you already own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

.270 is plenty on blacks. Shoot a good bullet and practice to the distance mentioned. .243 is more than enough at that range.

Comment

30-06

Comment

yea, don't listen to what your guide tells you. That's a surefire way to come home empty handed. I'd assume you will be hunting in the mountains. Cross canyon shots are not unusual. It's not like you can go down to the bottom and sneak up on a bear. You probably won't be able to see crap until you are in spitting distance. Or the bear is long gone by the time you get to where he was.

Hunting over bait is one thing but spot and shoot are completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo1 View Post
                        If the closest your guide can get you to a bear is 700 yds. my recommendation is to find another guide ! Shot placement is key- with a gun a .308 is adequate.
                        X10 ! I can’t believe a professional guide would tell someone that. No guide is going to want his hunters shooting that far. Very few hunters can shoot past 300yrds tops. Heck most can’t hit a deer at 100.

Comment

As mentioned above, bear are not hard to kill with good shot placement, and your 6.5, 270, and 7-08 should all be sufficient given that you do your part. However having said that, all that long hair can soak up a lot of blood and bear fat can often plug bullet holes, so if you want a good blood trail to follow (and who wouldn’t) then there is something to say for the larger calibers, and especially the right combination of caliber, bullet type, and velocity to give you a good trail over and above kill ability. You don’t say whether you will be hunting in the spring or fall but either way, you may be dealing with thick long hair (spring) or thick fat layer (fall).

Comment

black bear are soft in the "grand scheme of things"...get closer.

Comment

I’ve honestly never heard of an outfitter expecting his clients to make a 700 yd shot. I was seriously question this guide!!!!

7mag, 30-06, 300 win mag would be my top 3 choices

Comment

Use your .270 with a good quality bullet / ammo. And practice......

No need to buy a new gun unless you really want to

Comment

Working...
                                X