Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    Edit!

So do you or do you not want to milk the goat ?

Comment

Edit!

Well if you don’t want the best then Spanish goats are also good for meat.

Comment

Are a lot goat growing up. I believe most was Spanish goats granddad picked up at the auction cheap. We would pen them up for a few weeks and pour the feed to them and then butcher.
        I have considered getting 1-2 to butcher out but wife gives me headaches about wanting to butcher them out. She wants them for pets. ( **** city girls )

Comment

Originally posted by COPPERHEAD View Post
          These are known for good sausage!
          If you’ve never had Middle-Eastern Fried Mountain Oysters, you haven’t lived
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Don’t overlook getting one calf a year too. Bottle fed one last year. I was gonna keep it to butcher, but had a freezer full of venison. We decided to take it to auction as well. Made $500 off it.
            You made 500 after you fed it or you sold it for 500 more than you paid?

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            If you’ve never had Middle-Eastern Fried Mountain Oysters, you haven’t lived
            Its nuts you didnt see that pic was posted up the page.

Comment

Haha... This is funny, but I've been considering it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                You made 500 after you fed it or you sold it for 500 more than you paid?

Its nuts you didnt see that pic was posted up the page.

Bottle fed it until it ate on its own. Bought two round bales and he fed in my pasture. That was pretty much the extent of my costs. Sold at auction for $590. I spent about $100 feeding him.

Comment

Kiko/boer cross has worked well for me. I started with just boer and had to worm them once a month just to keep them alive. I bought a Kiko buck and kept all the females out of him. I know worm every 3/4 months. I breed them back to a boer buck and majority of the kids look boer.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                    Just make sure you're recording all this homesteading-esque action so you can get those Youtube monies.
                    Shooooot....I have more followers on tbh than on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_jane View Post
                      Kiko/boer cross has worked well for me. I started with just boer and had to worm them once a month just to keep them alive. I bought a Kiko buck and kept all the females out of him. I know worm every 3/4 months. I breed them back to a boer buck and majority of the kids look boer.
                      Good info. That was initial reason for the interest in kikos was the resistance to parasites and less hoof problems in East Texas soil.

Comment

Dogs and yotes

Comment

Whatever you do, keep no more than half the carrying capacity of your property as those things will turn your property to dust and even eat the scrap metal laying around.

If you're already going to have goats for meat you might as well get you an Alpine or Nubian for milking.

Personally, I'm not a fan of goat meat or milk as my family raised, butchered, and sold them for 40 years. Ate and drank way too much of it as a kid. They're technically low maintenance when it comes to some things like feed and being fairly hardy but they can be a real PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            Dogs and yotes
                            That is definitely east tx knowledge you are sharing in this statement. Just because you don’t hear the yotes howling barking they are still there.

Comment

Good info. That was initial reason for the interest in kikos was the resistance to parasites and less hoof problems in East Texas soil.
                              Yeah I learned about them the hard way. Kikos are high but worth every penny in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                                Dogs and yotes
                                I'll resort to that if I get hungry enough. But in reality I would have to run out of deer, hogs, rabbits, quail, goats, grandkids.. before I resorted to eating dogs and yotes.

Comment

Working...
                                X