Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All my vehicles are high enough to just use a creeper

Comment

I roll under my F350 and crawl under the CEO/CFOs Tahoe.

Comment

I've always changed my own, except just one time and then that guy cross-threaded my drain plug ... I mean, you had one job to do and screwed it up.

Oil ... I like Valvoline and switched all my vehicles to synthetic because I get tired of changing it so often.

Comment

Originally posted by hittman View Post
          So far it's a resounding do it yourself dummy! I figured it would be and that's the way I've been leaning... Especially with the $85-100 price tag that I've been getting quoted....

Do y'all drive up on ramps or use a jack?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
          $85-100 ????

Other ... I use ramps.

Comment

Kevin at Kwality Auto next to the antique mall is a great guy to deal with and they do a punch card deal where every 5th(i think it's 5) one is free.

Comment

I have my vehicles done, and do my own equipment(tractors, utv,etc). Local oil service shop is about $15 higher than I can buy and do it myself, and they grease, top off any fluids as need, check transfer, tranny, and rear axle fluid levels, report anything leaking, and vacuum the front, and clean the windows. That is a lot of service for $15. When I was younger I did it myself, but older I get the more my time is worth doing other things.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                $85-100 ????

Other ... I use ramps.
                I know.... 8 qts of oil adds up I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                  I have my vehicles done, and do my own equipment(tractors, utv,etc). Local oil service shop is about $15 higher than I can buy and do it myself, and they grease, top off any fluids as need, check transfer, tranny, and rear axle fluid levels, report anything leaking, and vacuum the front, and clean the windows. That is a lot of service for $15. When I was younger I did it myself, but older I get the more my time is worth doing other things.
                  The places I have called so far have been $35-50 more than my cost [emoji19]

Comment

I am one of those who swore I would always change my own oil. (I'm no mechanic, but I can do that!) I broke that vow quite a few years ago when my wife started driving low-slung Japanese cars - I also grew weary of finding a place to dispose of the old oil. I have become willing to pay for the convenience. I take my truck in to an oil change place when they open at 8:00 and I'm back in the road in 20 minutes.

Comment

I know.... 8 qts of oil adds up I suppose

Mine takes three gallons of Royal Purple. When I had the 1/2 ton gasser, I paid Ford to change it ($45 for “The Works”) because it was less than what I could do it myself. Now with the diesel and the oil I choose to run I do it myself. I do however take my brides Buick to Ford for The Works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I service all of mine own as well.
                        I have;
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel - Shell Rotella Oil, Wix Oil Filter, Wix Fuel filter and Wix Air filter from the O cost about about $60 - Kwik Kar (local franchise) charges $135 for just the oil change and meanwhile I will grease the u joints, they don't.

2004 Toyota 4Runner (easiest ever)
                        2009 Toyota Highlander
                        Mobile 1 oil and filter from the O costs about $40 for both. Local franchise charges $120

Where I get the most joy now in doing it, is my eight year old has taking a liking to getting under the cars with me, and turning wrenches. He's now shared that he would like to get a car/truck whatever to build and drive when he gets into high school.

Think I may take him up on that. I found a 1972 Dodge Ram Custom 200 with a 318 in it and a manual four speed. Thinking about getting it and putting a diesel in it, and then converting to a dually. Could be a cool project for both of us to do over the next eight years.

Comment

I use to prescribe to the motto most on here do. I’ll do it myself to save money.

At some point, your time becomes worth more than what you’re paying. Then you start paying people to do it. I’m close to paying someone to mow my lawn because of it. $50 or 2 hours of my time? I’m worth more than $25 an hour in my mind.

I think if you owned a business, this would be even more relevant.

But, on my vehicles I like to do it myself because people cut corners, and I hate that. Especially on expensive assets like vehicles.

I run amsoil on everything from cars, utv’s, air compressors, diesel truck, lawnmowers.... etc.

Comment

The places I have called so far have been $35-50 more than my cost [emoji19]

MIne is $47.00 total

Comment

When my son turned 16 I told him he had to do his truck and my truck, as otherwise he was not driving. NTB charges 19.99 for conventional oil changes, so I take wife's car down there as they rotate the tires and look over other things.

Comment

Where does everyone get rid of the used oil?

Comment

Working...
                                X