No announcement yet.

We got drawn ! Powderhorn !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring LOTs of skeeter DOPE. If there's a cool front blowing through they won't be too bad but if not they will carry you off.

It's flat with not many trees. You should bring a short or adjustable tripod and or a ground blind. I personally never travel without a ground blind due to the chance of rain. Speaking of which bring a good set of rubber boots if there's been any rain at all. Remember this is coastal marsh land.

This place it new to TPWD so there's not much out there yet regarding blinds, camping or cleaning facilities. Bring plenty of coolers and plan to stay in Port Lavaca or POC. I don't think there's a hotel in POC but there's small bay house type lodging and RV places. It's only a few miles away. A TBH'r owns or owned a small cabin in POC, Brunner or Merc, can't quite recall which one.

Best of luck, it's high on my list. Been driving by that place for years looking at the Sanbar and Axis deer wanting in the gate.

I made the 2 hour drive last year for the 1 standby spot they offered along with 50 of my best friends. I might make it again but not in October. I have plans with some buddies for the J_J with Matt.
    Last edited by Slick8; 09-17-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
      I'll see you there! I'll be standing in the Standby group hoping to get drawn
      How many standby hunts do they usually have? Doubt ill make it happen since I have work, but just curious if it is worth going down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
        Bring LOTs of skeeter DOPE. If there's a cool front blowing through they won't be too bad but if not they will carry you off.

It's flat with not many trees. You should bring a short or adjustable tripod and or a ground blind. I personally never travel without a ground blind due to the chance of rain. Speaking of which bring a good set of rubber boots if there's been any rain at all. Remember this is coastal marsh land.

This place it new to TPWD so there's not much out there yet regarding blinds, camping or cleaning facilities. Bring plenty of coolers and plan to stay in Port Lavaca or POC. I don't think there's a hotel in POC but there's small bay house type lodging and RV places. It's only a few miles away. A TBH'r owns or owned a small cabin in POC, Brunner or Merc, can't quite recall which one.

Best of luck, it's high on my list. Been driving by that place for years looking at the Sanbar and Axis deer wanting in the gate.

I made the 2 hour drive last year for the 1 standby spot they offered along with 50 of my best friends. I might make it again but not in October. I have plans with some buddies for the J_J with Matt.

Solid info thank you. Keep it coming. I was on onX last night looking at topography and could tell there ain’t much in draw and freaks and what not. Any info on what kind of terrain the stag favor. Is it the prairie land or what appeared to be oak mots on the map. Thanks again

Comment

And how big are these stag. I dont really feel like toting my 300 sendero around but I will. Was thinking my 6cm carbon gun would be fine

Comment

I saw a pic from one of them killed last year. Really cool. Kinda look like a small elk. I would think that any deer caliber with a well placed shot would get the job done.
            Congrats on the draw. Seems like that place got a lot of attention right off the bat when they put it on the draw!

Nice cat too.

Comment

Congrats. Been wanting that since they put it in the draw. Not complaining as I finally got drawn on a buck hunt for the first time in 17 years. Got Colorado Bend SP. Bad thing is my odds for Powderhorn went down next year. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                And how big are these stag. I dont really feel like toting my 300 sendero around but I will. Was thinking my 6cm carbon gun would be fine
                I drive past the wma weekly and I’ve seen 140 class deer there. Haven’t seen as many Sambar this summer as I did last but they’re definitely there.

Comment

Yea guy I talked to today said there’s some 140s just got to get kick and find them

Comment

Powderhorn

Congrats man. It’s going to be good out there. Plenty of lodging in POC and a few in Seadrift. Don’t forget to get a boil at Bubba’s in Seadrift. Good luck and straight shooting.

Comment

FYI. I was told 5-7 standby tags will be available

Comment

Dang, I wish you wouldn't have told me about the standby's...now I need to see about time off......Unfortunately I think you were drawn for the October hunt and I'll be in the panhandle hunting with Matt at the J_J.

If you use that 6 Creed, pick a good tough bullet. They're about the size of a Red Stag and the grass / scrub brush is thick out there. I'd opt for heavy iron were it me.

Comment

Dang, I wish you wouldn't have told me about the standby's...now I need to see about time off......Unfortunately I think you were drawn for the October hunt and I'll be in the panhandle hunting with Matt at the J_J.

If you use that 6 Creed, pick a good tough bullet. They're about the size of a Red Stag and the grass / scrub brush is thick out there. I'd opt for heavy iron were it me.
                          That’s my concern. Considering sending the sendero to get a proof barrel for ease of carry. After talking with park yesterday. It’s a real opportunity

Comment

Id consider getting a carbon fiber stock from APR. You'll save the same weight and not have to wait as long or do any load tuning prior to the hunt.

Or get both, who am to stop a man wanting a custom rifle....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Id consider getting a carbon fiber stock from APR. You'll save the same weight and not have to wait as long or do any load tuning prior to the hunt.

Or get both, who am to stop a man wanting a custom rifle....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                              Lol ! I’ve spent to much on customs this year already! That 6 creed was suppose to be a 6.5 Saum but since I primarily predator hunt. I opted out and wen 6

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                                FYI. I was told 5-7 standby tags will be available
                                I’ll be doing what I can to show up for the stand by.

Comment

Working...
                                X