No announcement yet.

DIY firepit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to stop welding due to running out of gas, but I got a lot of work done today. i figured out that the jack would slip inside a piece of 2 7/8 pipe, so.i welded some nuts around the pipe to keep the jack from wobbling too much like the the way the ones i looked at this morning did. Also I got most of the grate frame finished before running out of gas. I should have this done in another day or two and ready for paint and its first burn. Im pretty sure im going to need my skidsteer to get this thing out of my ship.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome! Going to follow this to see the finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
        The trailer jack can withstand the heat? I’m surprised there aren’t any plastic seals or grease on the screw- but I’ve never taken one apart.

Great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s why I chose the one I did, has all the sensitive parts down low, and with some steel and air gap between it and the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

well i got the cooking grate squared and welded and also got some gussets welded in. now its time to cut the expanded metal.

Comment

Almost ready for paint. The grate is done and 5 drain holes were cut.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

That looks stout! Interesting about the use of that jack...

Comment

I got it done and hoped to have a better picture of the finished product but ive been crazy busy. I did get a chance to snap one of it painted in matte bbq paint inside my shop. Ive seen a couple guys mention the jack, but before i built this i asked a guys at Hootens, where i got the idea, and he said they sell tons of them without issues. I also ran across a pit this week sitting outside one of the shops i visit that had the same setup. I asked the guys in they shop and they said they have used it on a weekly basis without any problems.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

The pit got its first light this weekend and worked like a champ.

Comment

Dang good job

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                            I stopped by hootens hardware in emory this morning and got to take a look at the pits they have for sale. After being asked to buy a loaf of banana bread from a recovering heroin addict, I got to steal an idea to make the swinging grate. They used a trailer jack and set it inside a piece of pipe thats welded to the inside of the pit.

I saw the same ones outside Hooten’s on Saturday.

Nice pit build.

Comment

that turned out pretty sweet!

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Working...
                                X