No announcement yet.

Pinto Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow this thread is all over the place like a hot blond in a white jeep trying to dress a deer with a belly full of pea gravel behind the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Smart to the rescue.

I'll echo what smart has said, his cooking style is similar to mine.

It's really simple-here's the basics
    Pinto beans, dried
    Salt and pepper
    Chilli powder
    Onion
    Garlic
    Paprika-gives a nice red color
    Sugar-the above will be little bitter, I use brown sugar
    Rotel tomatoes
    Jalapeno or other favorite peppers
    Bacon or salt pork-fry before adding to soup and add the grease.

Here's a few things I add and are all optional. This is the ultimate cook to taste meal. This is a favorite among family and friends of mine.

Cumin
    Anhco chilli powder and dried ancho papers.
    Brown onions, garlic, ancho and jalapenos in oil or bacon grease and add to soup
    Chicken stock mixed with water 50-50
    Liquid smoke- I make mine from brisket drippings and freeze in 1/4 cup containers.

I'm actually making a lot today. Here it is about an hour into cooking. I'll post a bowl later today. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200119_110956.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	24605152

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^ Two slices are just for a pound of beans. I add salt and garlic cloves to season the beans. Once cooked, these beans can be used for any bean recipe.

Too said beans for making ranchero beans I would add lots of bacon. Bacon is cooked and drained, then onions, jalapeños/seranos are cooked to tender. Cooked beans are added in pot and salt is adjusted to taste. Towards the end I add chopped tomatoe and whole cilantro with stems so it can be removed. That is the basic ranchero style recipe.

I like to add sausage which almost makes a meal out of the beans.

Comment

This is how mine starts out... 2lb of dried beans washed, chunk onion, two large diced japs, 12oz of salt pork sliced into pieces, various spices, some bouillon cubes and let er absorb it all.. No pre-soak or anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Start.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	24605153

This is towards the end right before the flour is added to thicken. cant find any pics of them post flour with the creamy base. I need to snap some of those next time

Click image for larger version

Name:	Finish 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	24605154
        Last edited by Smart; 01-19-2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          This is how mine starts out... 2lb of dried beans washed, chunk onion, two large diced japs, 12oz of salt pork sliced into pieces, various spices, some bouillon cubes and let er absorb it all.. No pre-soak or anything.

[ATTACH]988547[/ATTACH]

This is towards the end right before the flour is added to thicken. cant find any pics of them post flour with the creamy base. I need to snap some of those next time

[ATTACH]988548[/ATTACH]

Those look awesome. Sometimes I’ll put grilled German sausage in mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
            Those look awesome. Sometimes I’ll put grilled German sausage in mine

Thank you.....same here a few times....but its been in addition to the salt pork. I like the extra bulk/bite occasionally.

Do you just add raw small slices?

Comment

Grill and slice

Comment

I’m a Casserole brand of beans and fiesta pinto bean season kind of guy.

Comment

H-E-B pinto beans, fiesta seasoning, onion, ham hock, can of rotel, cumin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Soo good

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                      If any of you have been to Herrera's restaurant in Dallas, that is what I am going for.

copy me that copymethat meal planner recipe manager recipe clipper copy recipe shopping list add recipe organize recipes

here is the recipe for herreras, or close enough.

Comment

Got it!! Thanks!

Comment

Salt garlic powder deer sausage onion course ground black pepper and 1 whole jalapeño

Comment

Working...
                          X