No rifled shotguns allowed at LBJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No rifled shotguns allowed at LBJ?

That’s what I’m hearing. If that’s the case, something needs to done or said about it. That’s total bs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if I remember correctly it is no buckshot at LBJ.
    Ain't hard to call the office or game warden though.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
      That’s what I’m hearing. If that’s the case, something needs to done or said about it. That’s total bs.

well since a rifled barrel on a shotgun actually makes it a rifle,,,, i have no problem seeing it, a shotgun is a smooth bore,,, i have found several shotguns that shot the old full bore style slugs very well,,,,

Comment

Never heard that one unless its a new rule although I have heard rifled shotguns have come a long way in accuracy and range recently. I know some projects only allow muzzleloaders but not shotguns and some vice versa. Neither makes any sense to me, both are limited range. There should be 3 groups, you have you archery which now includes crossbow, limited range which is all shotguns and muzzleloaders, and then you have rifle.
        Last edited by bossbowman; 08-06-2020, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
          Never heard that one unless its a new rule although I have heard rifled shotguns have come a long way in accuracy and range recently. I know some projects only allow muzzleloaders but not shotguns and some vice versa. Neither makes any sense to me, both are limited range. There should be 3 groups, you have you archery which now includes crossbow, limited range which is all shotguns and muzzleloaders, and then you have rifle.
          I’d like to add pistols to the limited range category.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
            Nope, should have just called that last category centerfire.

Comment

A rifled slug gun is still a shotgun, not a rifle, as defined by the feds. Some states even go so far to say rifles shoot metallic cartridges and shotguns shoot plastic hulls and that’s how they make the distinction.

There’s 20k acres out there. They site safety as a concern, but I’ve never heard of anyone being shot by a wayward slug out there. No more inline MZ, either, only traditional flintlock and percussion caps with is a huge fire hazard.

Actually, horse riders are far injured more out there than hunters.

I can see if there had been prior incidents, but this came out of the blue.

Doesn’t make any sense.

Pat,

As far as buckshot, you may be correct, however I’ve never read anything saying you can’t. I know a few guys who killed deer and pigs with buckshot.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                Nope, should have just called that last category centerfire.
                You can slap a rifled barrel on a shotgun and shoot 200 yards. I don’t exactly call that worthy of your “limited range” category. Good thing neither one of us is making the rules.

Comment

Yep. Smooth bore shotgun and primitive muzzloader only. Lots of mad folks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Where is it actually in writing? I see it on Facebook, but not on the USDA website.

Stupid rules.

Comment

Doesn't everyone strip down naked, and only use Trad equipment? I might wear a loincloth, but that's about it. Most of the time I just chase them down on foot, while holding my skinning knife in my teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                        Where is it actually in writing? I see it on Facebook, but not on the USDA website.

Stupid rules.

Ranger Jeff Stoney is in the process of changing it now. He took the recommendation of one guy....think about that, one guy, to make the new change. Stoney didn’t even know the difference between inline and traditional BP and says he knows very little about archery.

Comment

Wish they did this on more of our public lands

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                            You would have to be more specific, on pistols. Revolvers and autos would fit into the limited range guns. But the single shot handguns, can reach out there a few hundred yard with ease. Really someone who knows what they are doing and has the right revolver can reach out there quite a ways. TPWD does not allow handguns on many of their hunts, I noticed.

For quite a while now, guns classified as muzzle loaders can reach out there at least 200 yards, likely farther. I have not gotten into muzzle loaders, don't really know what is possible with them.

I have read a little on modern slug guns and slugs, I think those can reach out to 200 yards, or close to it and put game down.

When you get into specialty guns, they can have quite a bit better performance, that common guns of the same classification.

Comment

If there is a change for limiting range it should be smooth bore shotguns and do muzzleloaders like Colorado. You gotta stuff the tube and no magnification if memory serves me right. Open sights and I don’t even think you can have fiber optic enhancement. This takes it down to 100 yards or less.

Can you shoot rifles slugs in a rifled slug gun? Just sounds like it would cause issues if groves did not match. I figured rifled slugs were for smooth bore guns trying to get some stabilization.

Comment

Working...
                              X