8 Point Genetics Question - Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 Point Genetics Question - Area?

Of all the free range grounds that you have to hunt, are there any that a majority of the bucks over 3 years old are 9 points are greater?

If yes, do you mind sharing what area of the state the grounds are located in, for example far west (west of a line from Childress to Midland to Sanderson), west (San Angelo area west to Midland area), panhandle, north (of I-20), east (of I-45), central, coastal region (Beaumont to Matamoros and 60 miles in from coast) or south (south of S.H. 90)?

Of the four grounds I hunt, 2 central, 1 west and 1 east, the majority of all bucks older than 3 are traditional slick 8 points. I will say that the grounds out west continues to show improvement each year with more multi-tined bucks.

Thanks for your time.

Rwc

Yes, we are in South Texas (Duval County). Almost all of our deer over three years old have more than 8 points. We shoot just about every 8 pt we see beginning at three years old. There are a few 8 points that we let roll each year. If they are exceptionally big framed 8s we will let them reach maturity before we make a decision. I understand that this plan does not work for everyone and some do not agree with killing three year old 8 points. However, we have to eliminate mouths off the pasture and we have far better three year olds to leave than basic 8s.

Comment

I hunt two places, one is about 30 mins N of Austin, the other is about 30 S of San Angelo. I would say both places have mostly 8pt genetics. The place near San Angel is large (5k acres) with a legitimate management plan. 8pts 3 years old or older are to be shot.

That being said it you give me 120"-160" of antler on a deer and give me the option of all those inches being on an 8,10, or 12 pt fame, I will take the 8pt every time. Put a 150" 8 next to a 150" 12 and the 8 will look like the 12's daddy. I've never been mad at 8pts.

Comment

Best quote I have ever heard was God made all deer to be 8 pts, anything more than that is just a bonus. I love me some big framed out 8s. Lots of places would be better off letting there deer get old than they would shooting all the 2-3 year old 8 pt deer off. Can't shoot big deer if you don't let them get some age. But lots of folks ***** about never seeing any big deer but shoot every 100 pt 3 year old 8 pt they see instead of letting them put on another 2-3 years of age and growth on. Way to much emphasis put on genetics in this state by folks on place to small to actually manage their herd.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
          Yes, we are in South Texas (Duval County). Almost all of our deer over three years old have more than 8 points. We shoot just about every 8 pt we see beginning at three years old. There are a few 8 points that we let roll each year. If they are exceptionally big framed 8s we will let them reach maturity before we make a decision. I understand that this plan does not work for everyone and some do not agree with killing three year old 8 points. However, we have to eliminate mouths off the pasture and we have far better three year olds to leave than basic 8s.
          Appreciate the response, do you mind sharing the size (acres) of your place?

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
            I hunt two places, one is about 30 mins N of Austin, the other is about 30 S of San Angelo. I would say both places have mostly 8pt genetics. The place near San Angel is large (5k acres) with a legitimate management plan. 8pts 3 years old or older are to be shot.

That being said it you give me 120"-160" of antler on a deer and give me the option of all those inches being on an 8,10, or 12 pt fame, I will take the 8pt every time. Put a 150" 8 next to a 150" 12 and the 8 will look like the 12's daddy. I've never been mad at 8pts.
            I too love a big framed 8 point, and I am not mad at them either. But I assure you, I like the heck out of big multi-tined bucks also! I am just attempting to collect a little data with out getting into a "management of 8 points, culling to enhance horn characteristics....debate..."

Rwc

Comment

I hunt close to your area in Bosque County. We have a lot of 8pt deer as well. We try and let our deer get to 5.5 before taking them. Our issue is that our deer seem to grow larger racks every year up to 3.5-4.5 but then just stay about the same or decline after that age. I think its a genetic issue on our place.

Comment

Most of our deer up to 3 years are usually 8 or 9 pt. SETx

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                  Appreciate the response, do you mind sharing the size (acres) of your place?

Rwc
                  2900 acres. Low fence. We are blessed with big neighbors with very little hunting pressure around us. Like I stated, our plan does not work for every scenario, but it has been successful for us.

Comment

Originally posted by VMBowhunter View Post
                    I hunt close to your area in Bosque County. We have a lot of 8pt deer as well. We try and let our deer get to 5.5 before taking them. Our issue is that our deer seem to grow larger racks every year up to 3.5-4.5 but then just stay about the same or decline after that age. I think its a genetic issue on our place.
                    Majority of my Bosque River bucks seem to have there best frames during there 5 to 6 years.

Good looking Tom in your Ava.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      Most of our deer up to 3 years are usually 8 or 9 pt. SETx
                      Appreciate your response. Do you see them putting on multi-tined frames after 3 or 4 or do most 8’s stay 8’s when they turn 4 and older.

And I do understand that in you part of the state it’s much harder to establish a history with deer do to above average pressure.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                        2900 acres. Low fence. We are blessed with big neighbors with very little hunting pressure around us. Like I stated, our plan does not work for every scenario, but it has been successful for us.
                        Yes sir, I agree, it is working for your area.

Rwc

Comment

I hunt mainly in Clay County which I think would be in the panhandle section of your list and we see an even distribution of different frames, 8,9,10,11,12 points I would say that there are a lot of 8's but wouldn't call them predominant, anywhere between 7-10 points is the usual. I will say that last year our biggest buck on camera was an 8 though... I got nothing against a big 8! Shoot we had a good sized 6 shot off our place last year that I liked too! lol

Comment

Man I love a big 8pt. I hate the 8pt genetic. Our low fence rule of thumb is any 8pt 4 yrs old or old gets a dirt nap. If they are still an 8 pt at 4 get them gone.

Comment

I'd say the majority of the deer in the "herd" that I'm hunting in SETX (Jefferson/Chambers Counties), once they make it to 3-4 years old have exceeded just a slick 8 point. With that being said, I have a killed a big (147" slick 8 point) in Jefferson County. One genetic that I've noticed with these SETX deer are throwing really odd points/racks the older they get. One particular property there are deer that will start having pretty large base point growths, upwards of 4-5 points coming off the bases and another property I have seen quite a few deer with drop tines in years past.

To answer the question though, out of say 10-12 mature bucks I see in a season across a couple different properties, maybe 2 of them will be large, slick 8 points that are 4 year olds or over.

Comment

Working...
                              X