No announcement yet.

6mm ARC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't consider one in an AR-10, but isn't the beowulf on a 15??

Comment

6mm ARC?

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      I wouldn't consider one in an AR-10, but isn't the beowulf on a 15??

Paul I had the same idea. I bought a few pieces of 6BR brass and necked them up to 6.5mm. It won’t fit in an AR15 length mag without severely compromising powder capacity. Here a pic for
      reference. It’s over .200” too long to be be able to use full case capacity.

I was thinking it would be a step up from the Grendel but after measuring water capacity of the case, it wasn’t that much difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
        The CZ and Howa mini actions are already produced for 6.5 Grendel. Just a simple barrel change at that point, but I do agree with the sentiment. I doubt any others are going to be diving off in the 6ARC bolt gun race. I’ve been waiting for this to come out, as it’s been in the works for sometime now and I happen to know a few birdies. I’m thinking 17-18” small frame AR is going to make an excellent night time hog stick.
        I would be interested in one on the Howa mini action, but I might also look into getting an upper for my AR ha

Comment

I have mixed feelings about the ARC mainly because of my Grendel and how well it works for what I need. If it’s was a little faster with a 103-105 class projectile it might be a little more interesting. I may pick up a barrel just to tinker with but may not. Can’t decide at this point.

In a bolt gun application I think the dasher or 6GT are better options.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Howa and Ruger And maybe CZ should be stepping up in the bolt game. Then again they never picked up the 6.8.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              I have mixed feelings about the ARC mainly because of my Grendel and how well it works for what I need. If it’s was a little faster with a 103-105 class projectile it might be a little more interesting. I may pick up a barrel just to tinker with but may not. Can’t decide at this point.

In a bolt gun application I think the dasher or 6GT are better options.

Sierracharlie out…
              Only thing this will have going for it being pushed by hornady and being picked up by the military is it will have ammo on the shelves for it everywhere. Can't find any of the boutique 6mm rounds on shelves. I was seriously considering running a 6 dasher for next build but I may have to give this 6ARC a serious look for both a bolt gun platform and an AR platform deer and pig killing sticks.

If this thing really takes off I this little round is liable to outrun the .243 for starting kids off and getting them their first deer rifles especially if CZ picks it up which I am sure they will.

Comment

Dang...looks like we need an AR-12.5 A 6br/dasher based case would be cool but the gun needs to fit the round & the AR-10 is a boat anchor.

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                Paul I had the same idea. I bought a few pieces of 6BR brass and necked them up to 6.5mm. It won’t fit in an AR15 length mag without severely compromising powder capacity. Here a pic for
                reference. It’s over .200” too long to be be able to use full case capacity.

I was thinking it would be a step up from the Grendel but after measuring water capacity of the case, it wasn’t that much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                  Only thing this will have going for it being pushed by hornady and being picked up by the military is it will have ammo on the shelves for it everywhere. Can't find any of the boutique 6mm rounds on shelves. I was seriously considering running a 6 dasher for next build but I may have to give this 6ARC a serious look for both a bolt gun platform and an AR platform deer and pig killing sticks.

If this thing really takes off I this little round is liable to outrun the .243 for starting kids off and getting them their first deer rifles especially if CZ picks it up which I am sure they will.

I agree on the backing it will have from Hornady. As a hand loader I tend to steer away from the mainstream stuff just cause I like to be different, hence my love for the 260 and 257AI. Personally, I think you’d be better off with the Dasher in a bolt gun because you’ll be able to get 105-110 class projectiles up to 3000 plus and the Arc may not be able to do that. If you aren’t a hand loader and wanna run the same cartridge on more than one platform, the ARC might be the better option.

I think it will be a great round for kids and novice shooters with factory ammo availability. Just don’t think it will fill a ballistic niche that isn’t already covered for me.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    I’m really surprised someone hasn’t already done this. As much as I love the Grendel, to get max long distance performance it really needs to run 130 class bullets. The problem is due to mag length restrictions that cuts into powder capacity and lowers velocity.

The 6mm 100 class bullets will do well in this cartridge.

I was thinking with the Grendel needing a longer barrel to stay above questionable expansion velocities, that the 6 ARC could do so with a much shorter barrel, to accommodate a suppressor for night time pig shootin.

I don’t reload, and don’t want to. I like being able to grab ammo at Cabelas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I was thinking with the Grendel needing a longer barrel to stay above questionable expansion velocities, that the 6 ARC could do so with a much shorter barrel, to accommodate a suppressor for night time pig shootin.

I don’t reload, and don’t want to. I like being able to grab ammo at Cabelas.

Just a heads up Dale the data I looked at of the ARC was tested with a 24” barrel. Cut 6 to 8 inches off that and you could be in the same speeds as the Grendel with a smaller bullet. Food for thought but obviously will vary by individual firearm.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                        Just a heads up Dale the data I looked at of the ARC was tested with a 24” barrel. Cut 6 to 8 inches off that and you could be in the same speeds as the Grendel with a smaller bullet. Food for thought but obviously will vary by individual firearm.

Sierracharlie out…
                        I the 18-20” range the 6 still had the advantage. I didn’t look any shorter than that. Speed kills even when you give up a LITTLE velocity. Not a lot just a little. I’ve dropped some big **** with a 75 BTHP at 2680. I’m pretty sure a 103 at 2800 will do a bit better job. That and I intend to work up a 87 BTHP load around 3k to do a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                          I the 18-20” range the 6 still had the advantage. I didn’t look any shorter than that. Speed kills even when you give up a LITTLE velocity. Not a lot just a little. I’ve dropped some big **** with a 75 BTHP at 2680. I’m pretty sure a 103 at 2800 will do a bit better job. That and I intend to work up a 87 BTHP load around 3k to do a bit better.

While I agree with most of your statement, factory ammo is rated at just over 2800 out of a 24 inch barrel. Cut that to 18 or 16 for the AR platform, let’s say, and the velocity is less impressive. I know you have a good knowledge base of rifles and their components and have no doubt you will get a load for that 87 that cooks but I’m talking factory ammo. I’ll keep my Grendel personally. That’s just my thoughts on it.

Hand loading adds a whole new dynamic.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

All else being eaual, a 95-100gr pill should be significantly faster than a 123 from the same case.

Love my Grendel too, but I’m intrigued.

Comment

I just don’t see the need. 64gr .224 Gold Dots at 2990 fps in front of a hefty dose of Power Pro 2000-MR out of my 18” AR kills stuff dead dead dead. Hornady scored on the 6.5 Creedmoor when the 260 already existed so I’m not counting it out when it comes to a mass following. The bolt face dims are going to limit them though.

Comment

Should make a fine 600yd target gun or human puncher. For hunting though nothing in the AR15 will give you 1000flb of energy passed 350yds and stay spec. I'll keep my 6.8.

Comment

Working...
                                X