No announcement yet.

Let's see the spring food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are some great plots still going strong sleepy and low fence. My peas hit 8” and disappeared in this plot but I got a bumper crop of goat weed. What’s the best way to terminate it? There is some grass below the weed. Spray it all or mow the goat weed tops and then spray the grass to get better coverage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
      We put out 100lbs of ic peas last evening, ran the disc/drag over it, and looks like 1.5-2” rain overnight. Should be good to go if it didn’t wash some away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Hey! I got one of those plows! Handy little thang

Comment

What is everyone planning on doing for field prep in the coming weeks before Fall planting? In Mills County we are thinking field-prep end of August and plant September 11th-18th.

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy D View Post
          What is everyone planning on doing for field prep in the coming weeks before Fall planting? In Mills County we are thinking field-prep end of August and plant September 11th-18th.
          I use to plant mid September... here some of why I don’t anymore:

Too hot

Usually too dry

If not too hottie dry I can 100% guarantee army worms.

It’s just not worth the risk. We are completely different than mid west.

If I need to spray, I spray mid September, and plant October- mid November if needed ( if that late you can leave out any brassicas and go straight cereal grains)

All you need to do now is have soil tests done and lime NOW IF NEEDED. Some plow and wait, makes zero sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post

Too hot

Usually too dry

If I need to spray, I spray mid September, and plant October- mid November if needed ( if that late you can leave out any brassicas and go straight cereal grains)

All you need to do now is have soil tests done and lime NOW IF NEEDED. Some plow and wait, makes zero sense to me.

Pretty much sums things up

Comment

Too hot

Usually too dry

Are you able to lime all your plots? I have some in remote areas that need a ton an acre and I have no way to do it. The local spreader guy said he aint taking his truck down there.

Comment

Maybe.....

I’m testing now a product and will have real results when I get soil test results back

You can spread this with cone spreader and 400# CLAIMS equal to a ton of ag lime

Comment

Maybe.....

I’m testing now a product and will have real results when I get soil test results back

You can spread this with cone spreader and 400# CLAIMS equal to a ton of ag lime
                  Let me know for sure. I am interested

Comment

Too hot

Usually too dry

I hear ya.. but the past 4-5 years we’ve been trying the mid or late October route and it just hasn’t produced better results for us. The previous 6-7 years before, we were mid September planting and seemed to have better plots. Idk.. we are pretty torn lol

Comment

If we don't get some rain, I'm not planting anything. Even the weeds aren't growing this year.

Comment

Got 1/4” rain last night. It really “perked” things up. The deer must have got the munchies this weekend cause they are bald spots in this thick mess! I’ve never had em make it to September

This is the best I’ve grown... but they are mowing them down now. I guess forage quality has finally craped the bed. Protein consumption has increased 3x in past month too
                        Attached Files

Comment

Had to check a trap before I started spraying this morning. Seen these 3 headed to the pea patch
                          Attached Files

Comment

Maybe.....

Did you use 98G?

I loaded up 1,000 pounds in the bed of my truck at Potts last year before spring plots. My 1 acre plot called for two tons per acre aglime, so I loaded up 1,000lbs of the 98G. I really think I needed more. Probably poor soil samples on my part, but it did increase my pH some.

Comment

98g is what I tested last fall. I’m waiting on test results to see what improvement if any occurred.

Comment

98g is what I tested last fall. I’m waiting on test results to see what improvement if any occurred.
                                Nice. I’d like to see your results. Mine came up about a half a point.

Comment

Working...
                                X