No announcement yet.

Bullet weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i like the light weight hi velocity rounds,, such as a 300gr hp at 2050fps in the 45-70.... after nearly 40 yeasr of using it i have never had a great need for more or less for deer and hogs

Comment

All depends on caliber and shot placement/ hunting distance. Close distance lbullet weight doesn’t matter to much depending on critters but as you stretch out you want the heaviest bullet with the highest BC:velocity ratio that you can get. Imo

Comment

I use a 165 gr soft point for deer and a 180 gr. soft point for hogs out of my 30-06. I havent had to track more than 5 yards yet its the baddest load around.

Comment

Thats with a max distance of 215 yards though. Never had a longer shot with that gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Light weight, fast, heavy construction (bonded, copper, etc)

Comment

I always try to find a load that my rifle shoots the most accurate with. I hope it is the heavier bullets because I like higher BC and like shooting longer distances. Faster rounds can wear barrels out quicker and I like to shoot as much as I can so I don't want to be burning a barrel up. Especially in a barrel with tighter than normal twist rate for the caliber.

As far as hunting at normal distances goes lets be real here, its a bullet out of a high powered rifle at shorter ranges so anything will be fast enough. A deer or hog wont duck or jump the bullet like they duck or jump the string when bow hunting. The factor that will be bigger than speed is the type of bullet and bullet performance. Some screaming fast round not made for hunting can blow up and do damage on impact but might not get the penetration and do the damage internally that will drop the animal dead. Which is what we all want boom and drop dead not boom and track it forever. In an '06 just get whatever hunting ammo that your rifle shoots accurately and is in your price range and you will be fine. I wouldn't worry to much about it unless you are going after something that is pretty big like an elk or something.
              Last edited by DuramaxDude; 08-10-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I’m a speed chaser, 257 WBY, 300 Win Mag, 300 WBY, 7mag have been my go to. I will still hunt with a 257, but I have transitioned to a 280 Rem with 120s.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                  I’m a speed chaser

You got trouble wit deer jumping the bang?

Comment

All depends on the twist.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                      You got trouble wit deer jumping the bang?

No problem wit jumping, just flopping

Comment

For deer sized game I like lighter and faster. I like my .257 with 110 grain accubonds, my .270 with 130 grain interlocks and a 7mm-08 with 140 grain accubonds.

For bigger game I like a heavier bullet but it’s relative, my .300 win is spitting a 180 grain at 2960 FPS which isn’t a slouch

Comment

Working...
                        X