• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat help needed ( Volvo Penta)

Anyone have the Volvo Penta 4.3 L I/O

Good, Bad, Ugly ?

Stay away or great motor...

Anyone

Its not the best nor the worst. We had most our issues with the out drive.

Comment

The engine is a GM, parts available most anywhere. I've heard the Volvo outdrives are "less" common and " more expensive" to maintain than a standard merc outdrive.

Comment

That’s a 4.3 Chevy V6, they were bomb proof. Basically a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I own one. Haven’t had it too long. I’m the 2nd owner. Boat is 20 years old and cranks everytime. Strong enough to pull a skier. Quiet enough to talk while driving. Not sure what else I can say

Comment

We had two in my dads sea ray. We didn’t really have good luck with them, but I don’t know how much of that was the motors fault. I will say look closely at the outdrive for corrosion and leaks.

Comment

I was always told inboard for freshwater and outboard for saltwater.

Comment

I have one but is 5,0. no problems with motor or out drive probably 17 years old runs looks like new , garage kept boat. (fresh water use only)

Comment

Better than a Mercruiser outdrive. Long blocks are the same just different bolt ons.

Comment

What year and model?

The 4.3 Gl is a good motor (carb)
                    The 4.3 Gxi is a great motor (injected)

Volvo's single prop outdrive maintenance/repairs can be more labor intensive due to its design, which may increase cost of ownership slightly compared to a Mercruiser Alpha drive.

I am not a tech, but do sell boats for a living. My opinion is based on customer feedback, conversation with certified techs, and personal use.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X