No announcement yet.

Nuclear stress test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They should have someone around if something happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
      Thanks.

Comment

A chemical stress test is much easier than the treadmill, and if you have a cardiac emergency, you are in a good place for one , only better place would be in a ER

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
          Worse thing about any stress test is that it can miss so much. A calcium score is a much better test to determine heart health. Good luck on your test.

-john
          Apple's and oranges. A stress test will identify an existing decrease in blood flow, an active blockage either by soft plaque or calcified plaque. A calcium score will only tell you if there is calcified plaque present and would lead to additional testing.....such as a stress test.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
            How many have had a nuclear stress test? I'm scheduled for one on the 19th. Honestly, I'm a little scared. On a treadmill you can bail out if something doesn't feel right. On the nuclear you can't do a durn thing. The last stress test I had was in '16. I went from the treadmill straight to the ER. I am not looking forward to this at all.
            I do one every year,I don't understand what your saying about the treadmill,they will inject the nuclear dye and put you on a treadmill are speed your heart up with meds.It's the same stress test you did earlier they are just injecting a dye to see what your heart is doing,they will take a lot of 3 d pictures,be ready to lay on a table perfectly still for about 20 minutes while this camera make's a revolution around you , you will do this before the treadmill and after to compare pictures and what your heart is doing. Good luck,hope it turns out good.

Comment

My cardiologist ordered one this spring but insurance pushed back. In the meantime they approved the calcium score so I went in the tube. When that plus my EEG were perfect I just dropped the stress test. Was only there based on family history as my Dad and Bro (7 years older) both have stints. Bro probably can't run a mile though and is heavy. I've been working out hard the last several years doing my best to battle genetics

I guess I need to find a new doc now that I've moved north though.

Comment

[QUOTE=Goldeneagle;14239303]This one is not on a treadmill. It is chemically induced. My knee's have gotten so bad that a treadmill is out of the question.[/QUO

Sorry I didn't see you were doing the chemical stress test,it's not bad at all.They will inject the dye, take pictures of your heart resting then inject the chemical to speed up your heart,you will feel your heart speed up but it last a minute are two ,then they will give you a shot in your IV and stop it,again you will feel it slowing you down.Then back for more pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                  Apple's and oranges. A stress test will identify an existing decrease in blood flow, an active blockage either by soft plaque or calcified plaque. A calcium score will only tell you if there is calcified plaque present and would lead to additional testing.....such as a stress test.
                  Because of my families genetic issues with high cholesterol I go to a doctor that specializes in the field. While he is normal his brother, who is a cardiologist, who is in his mid 30's, and who has already had 2 open heart surgeries is not normal. ......his mother also has it as did 5 of her siblings. He had an Uncle do a stress test, pass with flying colors and then drop dead in front of Cabelas 2 days later. He has probably participated in more cholesterol studies than anyone else alive. He will tell anyone that will listen that stress test miss way too many things to be considered useful. He might be wrong but I know he feels strongly about this...and well I trust him with my life so to speak.

-john

Comment

I've had both the treadmill and the chemical induced stress test. Yes, the chemically induced is a little more "stress"ful IMO but it is what it is. It's a somewhat claustrophobic feeling when your heart starts raising and you find it hard to breath when you are just laying on a treatment table. On the treadmill...at least you knew how you got there.

Comment

I get one of those Monday-Thursday minimum...

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        Maybe.

Comment

I've only had one and I will take the treadmill any day over the chemically induced heart attack. Granted they have you hooked up to antidote IV but with mine the abdominal cramps and chest pressure where scary and very uncomfortable, just like a real attack. BTW, I am a survivor of 4 heart attacks so far and a recipient of 2 stints. My first was Oct 19th, 1989 when I was only 43.
                          My last one was 4 years ago.

Comment

ZERO to worry about, unless you don't like needles.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                              Because of my families genetic issues with high cholesterol I go to a doctor that specializes in the field. While he is normal his brother, who is a cardiologist, who is in his mid 30's, and who has already had 2 open heart surgeries is not normal. ......his mother also has it as did 5 of her siblings. He had an Uncle do a stress test, pass with flying colors and then drop dead in front of Cabelas 2 days later. He has probably participated in more cholesterol studies than anyone else alive. He will tell anyone that will listen that stress test miss way too many things to be considered useful. He might be wrong but I know he feels strongly about this...and well I trust him with my life so to speak.

-john

There are outliers in every field, including particular patients and particular doctors. Medicine is based on the averages of outcomes across years of treating patients and constantly adjusted and tested with new studies. A standard of care is developed based on all of this information. Sometimes people drop dead 2 days after their doctors follow the standard of care, that shouldn't change the treatment plan for the thousands who didn't.

I have been involved with cardiac medicine for 20 years. I have met a few "cowboy" cardiologist that think they know things the rest of the medical community doesn't. I wouldn't put my life in the hands of their ego.

Can a stress test be normal and someone die of a heart attack, absolutely. Can a patient have zero calcified plaque and die of a heart attack, absolutely. There is no silver bullet screening exam that will eliminate cardiac death but there is a standard of care based on what will keep the most people alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilik2hunt View Post
                                I do one every year,I don't understand what your saying about the treadmill,they will inject the nuclear dye and put you on a treadmill are speed your heart up with meds.It's the same stress test you did earlier they are just injecting a dye to see what your heart is doing,they will take a lot of 3 d pictures,be ready to lay on a table perfectly still for about 20 minutes while this camera make's a revolution around you , you will do this before the treadmill and after to compare pictures and what your heart is doing. Good luck,hope it turns out good.
                                This is what I did when i turned 50. My family history of early heart attacks made my doctor order one. I had no issues with the test during or after.

Comment

Working...
                                X