Hog Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Problems

The pigs on our lease have become way to comfortable. Last year I only saw them one time during daylight. The year before we killed 2 big boars and saw them about 25% or less of the time we sat in our blinds. This year we have pictures of all hours of the daylight hours and fewer deer pictures because of them.

So I decided I was going to go sit in my blind since it was 37 degrees and see how the hogs were effecting the deer movement. I walked up on a group of 12 or more smaller pigs and sows and when I got to my blind there were 9 bedded up in a big pile about 90 yards in front of my blind in one of my cut out shooting lanes. I have never went hog hunting with a gun prior to the season opening, but I was going to make an exception this year because of so many hogs on camera. I was really wanting to wait on a big boar so I held off till I finally saw one with a small group about 50 yards thru the thick cover. He was easily 300+ but just would not move out of the thick cover. As it got darker and colder (35 degrees by now) I knew I was going to shoot one of the smaller boars if the big one stayed in the cover. Finally the big boar chased 2 smaller boars away from him and I was able to confirm it was the bigger one and he gave me a very small window thru the mesquites and when he walked back thru the small opening I let the big dog bark. I think I may have shot to early because it was a neck shot and they all ran in different directions. It was almost dark and made it difficult to spot any blood and I only looked close to where I shot since there was no way I knew what direction he ran. My main goal was to try to get them out of their comfort zone, run them off for a while or make them go nocturnal. In all I saw 6 different groups of pigs for a total of 50+. I really do not like shooting any firearms at out lease prior to the season , but I do not think it will do as much damage to the deer hunting as the hogs do since they are keeping the deer off of the feeders. I do not like feeder pens , but I may have to go that direction if things do not change. Thoughts.

I would say kill every one you see and put a little pressure on them. Hogs don’t seem to put up with human activity like deer do.

Comment

If we are trying to have the biggest impacts we will normally go for the sows first. If the piglets are young enough they might die and she definitely won't be having another litter. The big boars are cooler to kill for sure though! Start hammering them and their behavior will definitely change. If you have that many coming in you might look into running a trap or two to take out more at once.

Comment

I agree with adding some type of pressure, and definately look into making/buying a circle or box trap.

I have a different opinion regarding population control on pigs, maybe someone can enlighten me. If you shoot a boar, think about how many different sows he can breed. Yes, sows can obviously have multiple litters at a very young age. Have any wildlife biologists done studies on boar vs sow removal?

Comment

I have more hogs at my place than I have ever seen since I bought it 5 years ago. I have killed 6 hogs since opening weekend, and it seems like they don't care if we are out there. The little ones will run off and the bigger ones hang out until I start shooting, and usually they hang around until one gets shot. Its been crazy for sure!! I just wish my pistol goodies would hurry up and get here, so I could really have some fun!!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

Something I’ve noticed this year, at least where I’m at is there are little to no acorns for a change.

Comment

Here is the boar that I hopefully killed last night and the group that was bedded in my shooting lane. One other thing I noticed is that several of the pigs were getting some of the grass that was dead in their mouth and taking it to the thick cover where the big boar was. They did this several times and I decided that they were making some kind of bed since it was wet, windy and cold. They were not eating the grass.

Comment

Don't think I've seen the grass behavior before, and that's a pretty good sized boar, hope you got him. In my experience, the big boars who are intact are mostly loners, and will usually group up with a sounder when female(s) are close to going into heat.

Comment

Why shoot the big boar? Shoot the sows first (piglet factories) but don't let the boars get away.

Comment

Have to trap them...You cant shoot enough of them to make a difference. Need a trap large enough to catch the whole sounder.

Comment

I agree with trapping. Set up the feeder in or over the trap. Set it late to condition them late at night. You can also put a hog stand in the area to push them with a rifle or when you get low on pork sausage. We run three traps with feeder year round for control and off season hunting. Plus pigs are great table fare.

Comment

Sit in a bow stand with some buck shot and stop shooting when you’re out of shells. Doesn’t matter if they drop as long as you can get some pellets in them.

Comment

We're closing in on 100 killed on our lease since about February-ish (?) and they just keep coming. And we're MLDP so we're shooting them with rifles. LOL

Comment

Trap for sure. I like shotgun idea too. Get 2 or 3 guys or kiddos In a popup and cut loose on them.

Comment

I have found killing big boars will actually increase the number of hogs on your place. With the dominant boar gone younger boars will move in on his territory often bringing their sounders with them. Sounds like you have more hogs than a few guys with rifles can fix. Hunting pressure will keep them away, but they need to feel it day and night. Trapping may be you best bet.

Comment

Working...
                              X