Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Private Land in Sam Houston National Forest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Land in Sam Houston National Forest?

I'm always surprised when I see private land, and even privately-owned homes, within a national forest or national wildlife area. What does that mean? For example, if I buy a few acres of private land within the Sam Houston National Forest, then I own the land, but it's also part of the National Forest, right? Does that mean I have more restrictions on hunting than if I bought land outside the NF? Are other people allowed to cross my property? Any other implications to owning land in a NF?

If you buy it you own it. It is NOT part of the national forest. All private rights apply

Comment

I guess I'm just misinterpreting the map, then. When I look at a view like this, there are a lot of parcels for sale, within the green area labeled as SHNF. But, those individual parcels are not actual NF land. That's normal, private land, that just happens to be intermingled within the general borders of the NF, right?
      Attached Files

Comment

Yep all yours. It is your own hunting sanctuary. A place for the deer to go when all the hunting pressure kicks up in the National Forest. As long as you provide everything the deer needs and keep the pressure to a minimum it will reward you with lots a great bucks year in and year out.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for explaining that. I've been wondering about this for years. And I like the idea of knowing that no one is going to build a Walmart or apartment complex in your back yard.

So, any disadvantages to buying property that's within the NF?

Comment

Just curious about what site that is that shows the tracts for sale?

Comment

That image came from HAR.com.

Comment

Don't give away all the secrets, it will just drive the price higher.

JK

I think that is the HAR site. Houston Area Relators

Comment

You are looking at the administrative boundary vs. the tract boundary. There are out tracts of land within all of our Ntl. Forests

Comment

The shaded grey is ACTUAL boundaries of NF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brad96 View Post

So, any disadvantages to buying property that's within the NF?

constantly dealing with folks hunting the NF that either don't realize or don't care that your land is private and trespassing and hunting your place...

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                        https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd640794.pdf

The shaded grey is ACTUAL boundaries of NF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Thanks for the link. Wow, I didn't realize that most of the so-called Sam Houston National Forest that shows up green on the map is not actually NF land at all. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          constantly dealing with folks hunting the NF that either don't realize or don't care that your land is private and trespassing and hunting your place...
                          Yeah, that would suck.

Comment

There can also be leases within the forest for cabins etc.. Folks own the cabins but lease the land from the NF. Lots of them up here.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              Bingo. We have a small tract of land on Toledo Bend right on the lake surrounded by Sabine National Forest. My wife hunts it with a permanent blind and feeder which of course are not legal on SNF and I hunt SNF.
                              The disadvantage is what is stated above. I just filed Criminal Trespassing on 4 people who rode their 4 wheelers all over my land and ran over the corn I had just put out for pics. You should see their faces from my hidden camera, the GW did. Awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X