Question for the AR experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the AR experts

So I recently bought an AR, put a good scope on it and have it dialed in tight at 100 yards.
    I found a box of 55gr Winchester ballistic tips that I can stack the shots on top of each other.

The question..... I'd like to kill a deer with it..... good idea or no ?

Absolutely take a neck shot dead deer every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

High shoulder shot will deck a deer. Or neck shot.

Comment

Nope. I think the ballistic tip in 223 is designed as a varmit bullet, very thing jacket to break up quickly. They make a ballistic tip in larger calibers designed for deer but I don't think in 223. If you are using 223 for deer pick a bullet designed for it, seceral good ones out here if you can find them.

Comment

I killed quite a few deer, in my youth, with a .222, 45 or 50 grain bullets.
          Head, neck, and heart shots. Usually no exit on the heart shots, but they did die.

Comment

Im far from an expert but I would suggest neck or head shots pending your ability and if you are shooting does or bucks. The high shoulder shot is a great shot if you have the right projectile. Personally, this would not be my projectile of choice for a high shoulder shot, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
              Nope. I think the ballistic tip in 223 is designed as a varmit bullet, very thing jacket to break up quickly. They make a ballistic tip in larger calibers designed for deer but I don't think in 223. If you are using 223 for deer pick a bullet designed for it, seceral good ones out here if you can find them.
              What about a 556 - 55gr FMJ ? better or no ?
              I would much rather have a heavier 223 bullet, maybe a 65 or 72 grain.... Ill keep looking until Im out of time.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                Im far from an expert but I would suggest neck or head shots pending your ability and if you are shooting does or bucks. The high shoulder shot is a great shot if you have the right projectile. Personally, this would not be my projectile of choice for a high shoulder shot, ever.
                This. I don’t particularly care for plastic tipped bullets. The faster they go, the more they blow apart in general. Ammo is fairly hard to find right now, but if you can find something in a tougher bullet that will shoot in your gun you’d be better off.

Comment

The issue with the ballistic tip in the lighter calibers is lack of a blood trail and not enough power to put them on there butt (unless of course you're near the spine) Its a great round and I've killed lots of critters with it but typically with a neck or head shot.

For a hunting round on the 223 platform I recommend the 62gr Federal Fusion. My wife and kids have successfully killed multiple deer with that round taking shoulder shots.

That being said, if you are confident in your ability and the gun being a tack driver just put it in the high neck or ear and its good night with no tracking needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                    What about a 556 - 55gr FMJ ? better or no ?
                    I would much rather have a heavier 223 bullet, maybe a 65 or 72 grain.... Ill keep looking until Im out of time.
                    FMJ not a good choice. You will get the penetration but no expansion. Unless you connect with a spine or brain shot deer will run off and probably die and no blood trail. Unfortunately it's not a good time to be looking for different ammo.

Comment

Try a controlled expansion bullet like Federal Fusion 62gr or Speer Gold Dot 62gr.

I know it's hard to find right now but ask around and see if any fellow TBHrs have some they are willing to part with.

I'm in Dallas and hunt Wichita Falls area. I'd be willing to help out a fellow TBHr if they were really in a bind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Artemiz View Post
                        Try a controlled expansion bullet like Federal Fusion 62gr or Speer Gold Dot 62gr.

I know it's hard to find right now but ask around and see if any fellow TBHrs have some they are willing to part with.

I'm in Dallas and hunt Wichita Falls area. I'd be willing to help out a fellow TBHr if they were really in a bind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                        Thanks, Ill look and see what I can find.

Comment

Don’t hesitate to use the ballistic tip. If you hunt in an open area lung shoot them but if you hunt in south Texas full of mesquite take a high neck shot deer can’t walk with a blown out spine and throat.

I’ve literally killed at least a dozen deer with 50gr vmax out of a 16@ ar and countless hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is it the best choice? No

Will it kill a deer with a well placed shot? Yes

Comment

I had this same question a while back and searched the internet high and low for answers. What I got was mixed opinions. Here's my own opinion, not based on experience, but just based on what I've read.

You can kill a deer with a 55 grain bullet in .223, but it is less than ideal, and I probably wouldn't do it. If you insist on shooting deer with an AR-15 in .223/5.56, I think one of the best rounds you can use is the Speer Gold Dot .223 in 72 grains. I base this on its performance on ballistic gel. This round creates a lot of internal damage.

AR-15's typically come in 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9 rifling. 1:9 works better with lighter rounds, like 55 grain. 1:7 works better with heavier grains like 72 grain. 1:8 works well with both. You can shoot lighter grains with 1:7 rifling or heavier grains with 1:9 rifling. It's just less than ideal.

Comment

Working...
                              X