No announcement yet.

Question for the AR experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not with a ballistic tip. Regardless of shot placement.

Comment

I have had no issues with a 55 gr ballistic tip, but they are all well placed shots !

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
        The issue with the ballistic tip in the lighter calibers is lack of a blood trail and not enough power to put them on there butt (unless of course you're near the spine) Its a great round and I've killed lots of critters with it but typically with a neck or head shot.

For a hunting round on the 223 platform I recommend the 62gr Federal Fusion. My wife and kids have successfully killed multiple deer with that round taking shoulder shots.

That being said, if you are confident in your ability and the gun being a tack driver just put it in the high neck or ear and its good night with no tracking needed.

I have a friend who said he would give me a box of Hornady Black 223 75gr BTHP. Yes or No ?

Comment

Another vote for "If you shoot them in the neck or head, they'll die."
          I wouldn't shoot one in the chest cavity with the 55gr ballistic tip, I'd find a soft point bullet or another caliber altogether for that work.
          Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-27-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

BT might work but I wouldn't use them and FMJ is a solid NO in any caliber for hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              This. I don’t particularly care for plastic tipped bullets. The faster they go, the more they blow apart in general. Ammo is fairly hard to find right now, but if you can find something in a tougher bullet that will shoot in your gun you’d be better off.

WAY to general of a statement for today’s ammo, many of today’s toughest hunting bullets have plastic tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                I have a friend who said he would give me a box of Hornady Black 223 75gr BTHP. Yes or No ?
                This would be a much better option.

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                  This would be a much better option.
                  If they shoot in your gun. Need a fast twist for that bullet.

Comment

I've killed many deer with a .223 Rem. Usually a 55gr Ballistic Tip knocks them down. I know they are a varmit bullet, but I've yet to have a deer "stop" one of these rounds. The bullet usually goes in a .22 and come out the opposite side the size of a quarter.

Recently I shot a 175 pound boar with the same round, Hit it, and the boar dropped right where he stood (Lung shot).

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
                      Is it the best choice? No

Will it kill a deer with a well placed shot? Yes
                      Yup.

A neck shot ALWAYS works.... until it doesnt.

Comment

Gonna see how they shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When it comes back Barnes 77grn. Is good

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post

Gonna see how they shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            That is match ammo, please don’t shoot a deer with it. The BT refers to boat tail, not ballistic tip, and the HP hollow point is extremely small, it’s not designed to open.

Barnes, Nosler Partition, or another lead soft point bullet (Sierra Game King, Winchester 64 gr, etc) would be all if use.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                              That is match ammo, please don’t shoot a deer with it. The BT refers to boat tail, not ballistic tip, and the HP hollow point is extremely small, it’s not designed to open.

Barnes, Nosler Partition, or another lead soft point bullet (Sierra Game King, Winchester 64 gr, etc) would be all if use.
                              My brother shot a mature doe in the rear lungs area at 100yds with a 223, 77gr bthp match bullet and we recovered but it was a good 100 yards away from site of impact and kind of blind luck that we spotted eyes in the underbrush.

We confirmed double lung towards the rear but not much hydrostatic shock.

If I had to use match ammo I would go for heart or neck shots at shorter distances.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
                                Nope. I think the ballistic tip in 223 is designed as a varmit bullet, very thing jacket to break up quickly. They make a ballistic tip in larger calibers designed for deer but I don't think in 223. If you are using 223 for deer pick a bullet designed for it, seceral good ones out here if you can find them.

I have to agree with above. I bought some remington .223 several years ago that were 55 grain trophy bonded bear claws. Did the trick very nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                X