Jobs around Katy/Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobs around Katy/Houston

After being unemployed since March. I have tried to find a new job, but not much is out there for a young Petroleum Engineer.

Anyone have any leads/day work they know of? I’m sick of sitting around continuing to apply and get rejected or no responses. Hoping things start to open back up after the first of the year and turn around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not your field, but petroleum engineers can easily switch over to civil work. If you ever want to switch over road and bridge (work doesn’t stop) feel free to contact me. My company is working on I-10 from brookshire to sealy, 249&99 direct connectors and several projects along 45 and the kemah area.

Comment

Can you switch to the refining side or even polymer processing operations from feedstocks?
      Other opportunity’s that are not degree specific...Quality Engineering, Manufacturing Engineer, Production Supervisor/Manager in manufacturing plants
      Add on some continuing Ed in the following
      Project Management
      Six Sigma
      Lean Manufacturing
      You obviously have the smarts & skillset just might have to branch out to other technical or engineering roles
      Good luck

Comment

That really stinks man. Same thing happened before I graduated back in ‘05 from A&M. A lot of graduates decided to stay back and get Masters because of the state of the industry. Luckily, I landed a job with COP and then things picked up from there. O&G has a lot of good times, but a lot of downturns, too. I’m going to encourage my son to pick a different industry when the time comes... thought I’d never say that. But, with politics playing a huge role and more and more potential for these idiot progressives to take offices I don’t have high hopes that the industry will be stable enough for a new career. That all said, you have a lot of the skills needed to perform engineering in other industries. Heck, right now the sky’s the limit for you. I wouldn’t look at salary as much as what actually interests you... and this is coming from a guy that picked my engineering degree based on highest avg salaries per egree LOL. Thanks fully, I’ve really enjoyed my jobs the last 15 years.

Anyways, good luck and if I hear of anything for entry level engineering I will PM you.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
          Can you switch to the refining side or even polymer processing operations from feedstocks?
          Other opportunity’s that are not degree specific...Quality Engineering, Manufacturing Engineer, Production Supervisor/Manager in manufacturing plants
          Add on some continuing Ed in the following
          Project Management
          Six Sigma
          Lean Manufacturing
          You obviously have the smarts & skillset just might have to branch out to other technical or engineering roles
          Good luck

Really good suggestions here if you have the means to take some of these classes.

Comment

A career shift is definitely something I am considering and unfortunately continuing education is not in the cards right now. I am currently searching for a new position that will be a fun career and that will support my wife and I in most oilfield crashes. I’ve kind of decided I don’t want to fight them my entire life.

Comment

In the meantime why don’t you apply as a 3rd party T/A planner? It’s temp but a good turnaround 6/8 weeks can definitely bank you around 40/50k. I am learning p6 scheduling and other programs as I want to jump into that field less stress and having to deal with grown babies on a daily has definitely pushed my drive to go that route

Comment

Originally posted by Zjesse22 View Post
                In the meantime why don’t you apply as a 3rd party T/A planner? It’s temp but a good turnaround 6/8 weeks can definitely bank you around 40/50k. I am learning p6 scheduling and other programs as I want to jump into that field less stress and having to deal with grown babies on a daily has definitely pushed my drive to go that route

Not a bad career path - Planner/scheduler or cost controller. Although with his degree I would push him more toward project management.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                  Not a bad career path - Planner/scheduler or cost controller. Although with his degree I would push him more toward project management.
                  Project management comes with experience as well I would build up his experience before trying to jump on to a project management role he might have he might not we don’t know that but I’m sure he will have the knowledge and skill to exceed in it if it were play out in a job position for him come available. Scheduling/ planning also portrays to a project management function/ duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Zjesse22 View Post
                    Project management comes with experience as well I would build up his experience before trying to jump on to a project management role he might have he might not we don’t know that but I’m sure he will have the knowledge and skill to exceed in it if it were play out in a job position for him come available. Scheduling/ planning also portrays to a project management function/ duty.

I would love to get into some type of project management after I understand the ins and outs of a business so that I have the experience. Going to get my FE and PMP certificate are two things high on my list when I start a new position.

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
                      I would love to get into some type of project management after I understand the ins and outs of a business so that I have the experience. Going to get my FE and PMP certificate are two things high on my list when I start a new position.

That’s more power to you! Learn the ins and outs is the best way to go instead of just jumping in a role, I learned the hard way when I was younger and work put me in a spot of site superintendent I got complacent and didn't check my double check because I was depending on everyone else to do my job. I was almost barred from the site (some members work there) but I had great mentors thought guided me and lead me to succeed and learn a valuable lesson. Over the years I have learned a lot and now I look back and see that I wasn’t ready back then but the paycheck made me think I was.

Comment

Kiewet has job openings in Houston area

Comment

Originally posted by Masmak View Post
                          Kiewet has job openings in Houston area

I have applied multiple times to multiple positions if you know of someone there Just to get my foot in the door. I’d love to meet them or talk with them.

Comment

Try these guys , they are having trouble finding Building engineers at the moment in several cities .

PM me if you do not hear anything back and I could probably get your resume to an actual person.

Comment

Jobs around Katy/Houston

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
                              I have applied multiple times to multiple positions if you know of someone there Just to get my foot in the door. I’d love to meet them or talk with them.

I’d call this fellow I found on LinkedIn. Call 8-8:30, or 5:00 or later. Don’t leave a message. Say you’re a new grad in petroleum engineering and you’d like to buy a cup of coffee and get his opinion on jobs within the industry.

The worst he can do is say no.

I searched LinkedIn for the company and location = Houston.

99% of people are too chicken ***** to pick up a phone and make the cold call and ask. Be the 1%.

Comment

Working...
                              X