No announcement yet.

Hog Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love shooting pigs with my bow. I like having them come in during daylight hours. But really after you ventilate a few they will avoid that set up for a while.
    Then I go to the one they are hitting for some more fun.
    And I think the light acorn crop is making them more apt to hit the feeders as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

We have bunches of them in Leon co
      We put 10 hog panels around each feeder
      The deer come in good to the feeders
      If we wouldn’t do that it would be hopeless
      We trap n shoot them year round doesn’t
      Seem to put a dent in them

Comment

Waiting for the big boar isn’t going to help in the least bit. You’re passing up too many other kills to get a chance at one. Kill everyone you see and are able to. Maybe, just maybe, you’ll scare them a little bit.

We will kill the same group of hogs on the same field 2-3 times a night sometimes. And we will kill a lot more than 1. Our best is 18 from one sounder at once, and many times we’ve got 14-16 from the same sounder. They keep coming, and we barely put a dent in the population killing 30+ a night.

Comment

Pigs

Originally posted by tpack View Post
          The pigs on our lease have become way to comfortable. Last year I only saw them one time during daylight. The year before we killed 2 big boars and saw them about 25% or less of the time we sat in our blinds. This year we have pictures of all hours of the daylight hours and fewer deer pictures because of them.

So I decided I was going to go sit in my blind since it was 37 degrees and see how the hogs were effecting the deer movement. I walked up on a group of 12 or more smaller pigs and sows and when I got to my blind there were 9 bedded up in a big pile about 90 yards in front of my blind in one of my cut out shooting lanes. I have never went hog hunting with a gun prior to the season opening, but I was going to make an exception this year because of so many hogs on camera. I was really wanting to wait on a big boar so I held off till I finally saw one with a small group about 50 yards thru the thick cover. He was easily 300+ but just would not move out of the thick cover. As it got darker and colder (35 degrees by now) I knew I was going to shoot one of the smaller boars if the big one stayed in the cover. Finally the big boar chased 2 smaller boars away from him and I was able to confirm it was the bigger one and he gave me a very small window thru the mesquites and when he walked back thru the small opening I let the big dog bark. I think I may have shot to early because it was a neck shot and they all ran in different directions. It was almost dark and made it difficult to spot any blood and I only looked close to where I shot since there was no way I knew what direction he ran. My main goal was to try to get them out of their comfort zone, run them off for a while or make them go nocturnal. In all I saw 6 different groups of pigs for a total of 50+. I really do not like shooting any firearms at out lease prior to the season , but I do not think it will do as much damage to the deer hunting as the hogs do since they are keeping the deer off of the feeders. I do not like feeder pens , but I may have to go that direction if things do not change. Thoughts.
          I got friends with suppressors and thermals and we can take care of that problem free of charge

Comment

We had the same problem until we found a local trapper and now he runs 4-6 traps all summer and by October we usually catch 100 or so and they are scarce during deer season. Traps are the best way to put a dent in them

Comment

Trap em.
              Trapped and killed 30 something since April.
              Only ran the trap about 3 weeks total.
              Corral trap or c trap is what works best for me. Rarely catch any in any other kind of trap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X