No announcement yet.

Rattlesnake ballistics test anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't think the .22 shot shells would be worth a crap, so that's why I use my .38 and shot shells. Kills 'em dead right quick.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
      This is why I switched cylinders in my revolver and went to .22 mag rat shot.
      NAA Pug with 22mag snake shot works like a champ!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        I carry a Taurus Judge loaded with 410 shells. It’s a sure fire snake killer.

Stick to plinking cans with your gun.
        See avatar. Works everytime

Comment

I've been liking the .38 CCI in my Ruger

Comment

I carry the .38 CCI shot shells in my S&W They work well on the rattlebugs

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              It was inside a brick pillar at my moms house to begin with. I was gonna shoot it with a bullet but I didn't want to possibly break a brick and send a bullet out the other side and in to the house. So I figured the shot would flatten on the brick.
              I can see that.

Comment

Actually I was gonna seal up the hole and starve that sucker out. It was out at my mom's house and she said that was a no go. She wanted him dead.

She texted me this morning and another dog got bit. 5th dog that's been bit in a matter of weeks. 2nd one this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff Dog View Post
                  I carry the .38 CCI shot shells in my S&W They work well on the rattlebugs
                  This is what I use.

OP, pics or it didn't happen.

Comment

I use the CCI 44mag shot shells snakes don't like it !

Comment

This is the shot that got him 5" behind the the head. One shot passed through the ribs and was on the other side stuck in the meat. The hole you see at the top of the picture hit through the back bone and the pellet was completely flat and a chunk broke off of it. That one did the most damage. Besides the pellets to the head of course.

Most of the pellets that hit their mark were just under the membrane on top of the meat.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by okrattler; 09-12-2022, 11:22 AM.

Comment

This one was the shot that got him about mid length. I think there was only like 2 that were stuck just beneath the skin on the shot in the previous picture.

This is what surprised me most. Snake skin is pretty thin stuff.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I have killed several copperheads and coral snakes with the 22 and the crimped rat shot cartridges. They took more than one shot.
                          On the other hand, I don't recall ever taking more than one shot with my 38 shotshells, and I have killed a bunch with them. I loaded them myself using the old yellow Speer capsules (in the 70's). I probably used #8 shot.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                            I have killed several copperheads and coral snakes with the 22 and the crimped rat shot cartridges. They took more than one shot.
                            On the other hand, I don't recall ever taking more than one shot with my 38 shotshells, and I have killed a bunch with them. I loaded them myself using the old yellow Speer capsules (in the 70's). I probably used #8 shot.
                            I've heard the crimped shot shells for .22lr are way better. I haven't ever tested them before.

Actually if I'm not mistaken Marlin had a gun years ago that was called a Garden Gun which was smooth bore specifically for the use of those shells. I could be wrong on that but I think so.

Comment

These are all the pellets I recovered. The big jagged looking ones on the right is what hit the backbone. Quite a few hit the snake Just not very many penetrated deep enough to hit vitals. I think his head got the worst of it but I didn't take any pictures of that.
                              Attached Files

Comment

That's pretty disappointing performance. That would only **** off a really big snake...
                                Adios,

gary

Comment

Working...
                                X