Non successful booked hunt payment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deerslayer64d View Post
    Update- my faith in humanity has been restored, the hunt is over , they returned at 10:00 am unsuccessful, the guide apologized and offered my deposit back for not getting it done and I told him no need to apologize as it’s hunting and not a zoo , if it had been a meat hunt it would have been over the first hunt but we were looking for a certain class of deer and nothing less, I shook his hand and gave him $200.00 more dollars, to me this was for him offering my deposit back ! The hunt continues for a 150+ class deer for my son .
    Alls well that ends well! Unfortunately these things happen and everyone has a different perspective on how things play out. An unsuccessful hunt should almost be expected as to set expectations. The guides are almost always hands and rarely owners (as may be the case here) so everyone with enough money to book a $4k hunt should budget a bottom/middle/top end tip for their guide. Hardly ever should that be zero but it feels like lots of people are looking for a reason to leave zero.

Comment

I can't speak for this hunt and how the guide acted. I would have been t-d off as well. I am real glad it worked out.

Tim is trying to defend an outfit nothing like his own. Hunting is hunting, but effort does matter. I hunted with Tim a few years ago and it was obvious he had worked his @$$$ before and during the hunt. The hunt exceeded my expectations and I had multiple opportunities at fantastic bucks.

I understand that not all hunts work out, but no one on that hunt can say he wasn't doing his part.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
        Tim is trying to defend an outfit nothing like his own.

I agree with this ^^^ statement. That’s why it’s such a head scratcher that he’s defending them. I don’t think Tim would ever provide the crappy service the OP received.

Comment

Better man than me.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            I agree with this ^^^ statement. That’s why it’s such a head scratcher that he’s defending them. I don’t think Tim would ever provide the crappy service the OP received.

He wouldn’t. He goes above and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
              Trophy8- I’m grumpy? Go back to your 3rd grade reading teacher and get her to help you read my post again. I simply said I wouldn’t hire a young kid as a guide. How do you get “grumpy” out of that? So you can’t read, you assume way too much, and when you don’t understand the narrative, you make-up your own. Seek some counseling.
              Past post history of yours. Not simply one post. Seek my hind end with your lips.

Comment

I have never been on a booked hunt before so I’m not sure of the answer to my question. I booked a three day hunt for my son for a 150 class or better deer and left a $500 deposit to hold the hunt , this morning will be his last chance to get it done but my hopes are not high as we haven’t seen anything near that class of deer yet , he outfitter had sent me pics of two target deer prior to the hunt , one of the deer had been shot two days before we arrived and the second deer he decided wasn’t old enough the first morning when it showed up, the rut is on and the deer are moving all day yet the Guide slept from 10:30 am until around 3:00 pm instead of hurting with my son trying to find a suitable deer , this is a BIG cattle ranch in erath co that in my opinion promotes good opportunity for a spot in stock hunting with deep draws that are thick with brush and lots of open area above the draws, I have provided all meals for everyone, myself my son the guide and his Freind, Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and prepared all meals as well as cleaned up after all meals , dishes , cooking utensils, so to my question, if they are not successful this morning what do I owe this man ? I know the deposit is non refundable and I’m fine with that but do I give him more money for his time / fuel/ feed? I just want to do what’s right and like I said before I’ve never had to book a hunt before so I’m asking.
                We are the only two hunters in camp , I opted not to hunt after the first evening so that all efforts could be contributed to my sons success,
                So who shot the deer?
                Neighbor?
                Dad?
                Hunter there last week?

My point was if it was not the neighbor then you are not the only ones hunting the place, just the only ones there at the time

Glad it all worked out in the end, hope your son gets a 150 somewhere

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                    So who shot the deer?
                    Neighbor?
                    Dad?
                    Hunter there last week?

My point was if it was not the neighbor then you are not the only ones hunting the place, just the only ones there at the time

Excellent detective work there lol.

I’m going with “the hunters that were there 2 days before them”.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                      So who shot the deer?
                      Neighbor?
                      Dad?
                      Hunter there last week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lmao!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Excellent detective work there lol.

I’m going with “the hunters that were there 2 days before them”.
                          This for the win

Comment

Not sure why y'all think I'm defending this guide. Maybe just because I asked too many questions before jumping on the bandwagon and grabbing my pitchfork?

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            Need more details on hunt structure.

If you paid $500 for this hunt that included lodging plus guide for 3 days THEN a kill fee only if you shoot something that's not a bad deal since you're also staying there.

The guide may have given up? Was he drinking last night? Did he say what time you should be in blinds this morning? He sounds lazy and doesn't deserve a tip but again, more info would help.

Now if he wants $3,750 for this hunt.... He!! to the no! He should have let him shoot the buck that came out. What does age have anything to do with it when they're selling a buck?
                            Was that defending?

deerslayer64d - Did you get anything in writing or was it just one phone call?

Are you sure you owe no more money since no opportunity was provided? Or is that the point of this thread, to try and convince yourself it's ok to leave without paying?

What's the ranch name/website? That may clear things up.
                            Or this?

I wouldn't go that far. He had an entire weekend of hunting (him and his son) that included lodging. Just a BnB anywhere would cost around $500 for a weekend.

Were you satisfied with the blind set ups, deer feeders, lodging, and uber rides to blinds? Were you happy with guide at the start and unhappy once you didn't see enough game?

You technically owe nothing. Tip is for great service. Unless they told you up front to please tip the guide that is.

I have no idea how hunting is there but all around here is slower than ever.

Whatever you decide just go with it and try to not worry. Doesn't hurt to try and talk to the guy. Only you really know the effort he put in (or didn't)

Add in an entire different debate Why should what he tips be different if they luck into a buck this morning? The guide worked "X" hard.
                            Something in this reply maybe?
                            Was just saying being out $500 isn't bad for an entire weekend for two people that saw lots of deer (just no shooter)

I even say he owes nothing.

Somewhere I asked how people on TBH knew that ranch had no 150" bucks. Was that not valid?

Anyway I sold a lot of hunts in the past. Trust me, every single person takes things differently. Some are just happy to be outside, others want their exact deer on a rope and all in between. I guarantee a few guys left here unhappy. I'm just glad they didn't post on TBH and the mob grab pitchforks

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              Thanks for clearing that up. Some places you pay in full regardless. At least you’re only out $500. Imo you owe nothing. They wasted your weekend if you don’t have a single opportunity at a deer you went there for.

If you feel the guide deserves something after today then pay what you think is right and move on.
                              Based on all the info thus far, this^^^^ is my opinion as well

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                                Trophy8- I’m grumpy?.
                                Yes, you are

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X