Need help with gun value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with gun value

Ok I have a good one for the gun braintrust here. I have a buddy that is going through some of his FIL guns becuase the FIL is not doing so well anymore. He has a NIB Colt .22 Super .38 Government. I cant find anything on the internet about price. So I was hoping that maybe one of you would know what it is worth. He doesnt want to get taken advantage of and get what the gun is worth for his FIL. Thanks in advance.

I think you got these words mixed up … Colt .22 Super .38 Government

pretty sure he has a Colt 1911 chambered in .38 Super, Government model

and he probably has the .22 LR Ciener conversion as you just replace the slide and magazine.

And/Or he also has a Colt 1911 Service Model ACE 22LR pistol.

value will depend on the series, serial number, overall condition, and if he has the original boxes and their condition … could easily be $500 to $5000+

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

and he probably has the .22 LR Ciener conversion as you just replace the slide and magazine.

value will depend on the series, serial number, overall condition, and if he has the original boxes and their condition … could easily be $500 to $5000+
      Ok thanks, Ill have him send me a pic of the label on the box. I know it is definitely not a 38 super gun. It is a 22lr. So he may not be looking at it right. He does have another new in the box Colt 22 conversion as well. When he gets me the pic Ill post it.

Comment

Ok so it looks like a Model 3150. He said the gun is new from factory and does have the original box. Here is the end of the box of the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe that this is just the .22lr conversion kit....is there a gun in that box?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
            I believe that this is just the .22lr conversion kit....is there a gun in that box?
            Yes sir there is a gun in the box. I just asked him to send me pics of the gun. Sorry not sure what all you guys need to make a good guess.

Comment

nearly all of the boxes labeled "O3150 conversion kit .22LR" included the slide with .22LR barrel, magazine, spring, and extractor. There is no serial number on the box b/c slides were not numbered, only the frame.

The styrofoam insert is press-molded to store a pistol; however the pistol would have been sold separately in it's own Colt box. (with a SN visible on outside of box). Your pictured .22LR conversion will only fit on a 5" government model pistol chambered either in 45 ACP or 38 Super. The conversion will NOT fit on a commander or officers model pistol. I've seen the conversion kits sell for $300 ~ $475.

Comment

nearly all of the boxes labeled "O3150 conversion kit .22LR" included the slide with .22LR barrel, magazine, spring, and extractor. There is no serial number on the box b/c slides were not numbered, only the frame.

The styrofoam insert is press-molded to store a pistol; however the pistol would have been sold separately in it's own Colt box. (with a SN visible on outside of box). Your pictured .22LR conversion will only fit on a 5" government model pistol chambered either in 45 ACP or 38 Super. The conversion will NOT fit on a commander or officers model pistol. I've seen the conversion kits sell for $300 ~ $475.

Gotcha. He said he found the extra conversion kit in a scope box. So he probably put the gun in the conversion box. I looked up the serial number and it came up with 2 matches on the Colt website. The 2 it came up with is the Government Model MKIV series 70 and the Government model MKIV Ace. How do I tell which it is. Here are pics of the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Call COLT and give them the SN to confirm exact details. For a nominal fee, they can provide you with a history of the pistol on Colt’s letterhead; mostly done by collectors of 100+ yr old Colt and S&W firearms. That pistol has been shot (although very few times), shows minimal holster wear, and has been disassembled before. Still in excellent condition and a beautiful piece.

Comment

Serial Number Lookup Please be advised that the information provided here is approximate, and should not be relied upon for legal, compliance, valuation, or other purposes which require definitive documentation. Enter the serial number, without spaces or dashes, to search the database. If multiple models appear for your serial number…

Link for serial number dates.

Ask your buddy to look for all the paperwork and tools that goes in the boxes and take care of the boxes. Even though the box is tattered it brings significant value to the pistol. Sometimes the right box for a Colt will bring 300.00 by itself.

They can also get in touch with these folks and they are very helpful for someone that does not know much about Colts:

We are the Premier Gun Collecting Website in the World, along with our active membership and All Colt Show & Auction held every year. We are enthusiasts, collectors, educators, and traders dealing with all things Colt-related. Check out our website and join CCA as a member today.

Comment

Post your question on this forum. Lot's of knowledgeable Colt Collectors here.

A forum community dedicated to Colt firearm owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, gunsmithing, troubleshooting, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Comment

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X