PEX Pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PEX Pipe

Looking to run some PEX pipe into cabin for my plumbing for toilet, sink, shower, etc.
    It was recommended to just stub up through floor and not run through walls, just in case something goes wrong, it would be an easier fix.
    What would you all suggest?

Also, would you suggest 3/4" or 1/2"? This will be ran off of a 12v pump from a water storage tank.

Not a matter if "IF" something goes wrong, but "WHEN"... That PEX stuff in the outdoors areas is a real pain because rodents (rats n mice) will chew it... Know a lot of instances where this piping in attics has caused major damage to houses by flooding when a pressure line gets chewed into... The manufacturing process for this stuff uses a vegetable oil rather than petroleum products to make the plastic is a lot of cases... That translates to "FOOD" for rodents... They smell it, then chew into it hunting the food... Same holds true for wiring harnesses for many of today's automobiles... Rats n mice have done major damage to newer vehicles left on our South Texas property... It's a constant battle... Same for PEX piping in camper trailers... Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Not a matter if "IF" something goes wrong, but "WHEN"... That PEX stuff in the outdoors areas is a real pain because rodents (rats n mice) will chew it... Know a lot of instances where this piping in attics has caused major damage to houses by flooding when a pressure line gets chewed into... The manufacturing process for this stuff uses a vegetable oil rather than petroleum products to make the plastic is a lot of cases... That translates to "FOOD" for rodents... They smell it, then chew into it hunting the food... Same holds true for wiring harnesses for many of today's automobiles... Rats n mice have done major damage to newer vehicles left on our South Texas property... It's a constant battle... Same for PEX piping in camper trailers... Good luck!
      What are some other options? PVC?
      All the plumbing will be ran under the cabin and either stubbed up through the floor at each location needed or ran through the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
        What are some other options? PVC?
        All the plumbing will be ran under the cabin and either stubbed up through the floor at each location needed or ran through the wall.
        You could use CPVC pipe, not sure what its actually made of tho, either. Its rated for hot and cold water use, where PVC is not. And you don't have to have an expansion tool or crimpers, like you would if using pex. Just glue and go.

Comment

I will look into CPVC.
          Didn't know that rodents would mess with PEX. We have a lot of rats/mice.

3/4" be best?

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
            I will look into CPVC.
            Didn't know that rodents would mess with PEX. We have a lot of rats/mice.

3/4" be best?
            Your choice, but all the things you listed for plumbing, can be done with 1/2.

Comment

I used pex on my build. I installed it all in PVC pipe under the house to protect it from rodents. I used the 3 inch slip pipe. Used a 16" metal box for any splices or 90s and turns and came out to fixtures with pex in 1-1/2" PVC with pex inside the PVC. Yes I just came up thru the floor and put my cut off directly on the pex. Works great. It does not look bad either because it is rather stiff and will stand straight up. I fed each room with a 1/2" feed from a manifold and tee tapped toilet, sink and shower. No pressure issues either.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                I used pex on my build. I installed it all in PVC pipe under the house to protect it from rodents. I used the 3 inch slip pipe. Used a 16" metal box for any splices or 90s and turns and came out to fixtures with pex in 1-1/2" PVC with pex inside the PVC. Yes I just came up thru the floor and put my cut off directly on the pex. Works great. It does not look bad either because it is rather stiff and will stand straight up. I fed each room with a 1/2" feed from a manifold and tee tapped toilet, sink and shower. No pressure issues either.

A little more costly, but this right here is probably the best solution for it... If you are in a place where the pipes could freeze, spray foam in the PVC after you get the PEX all fitted up. This will give you pretty good protection from freezing too.

Comment

I would use 1/2 or even 1/4 inch if using RV pump. For pressure purposes.

Comment

No reason not to just go with regular pvc. It will stand up to hot water, especially in a cabin where it won't be used a lot. 1/2" will be fine for what you describe. No special tools required, just cut clean and glue.

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Comment

I use pex in replumed my rent houses (pier and beam) and have not had one problem with rodents. Not to say I won't.

Comment

I average wiring 100 new homes per year. 90 percent of the water lines I see are run through the attic to a manifold in a closet.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

PEX is the best pipe to ever be made,IMO. It won’t freeze and break. Just can’t have in direct sunlight. I have it in 2 cabins, a barge, and my shop for 8 years or more now and haven’t had a mouse or rat problem or any other issue at all. So easy to use compared to pvc. Way more dependable.

Comment

In. Looking to re plumb our camp kitchen. 3 breaks in pvc due to freeze in 2 years. I was going to sleeve it to protect from sun etc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X