Tilt Trailer vs Ramp for UTV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilt Trailer vs Ramp for UTV's

I'm picking up the Polaris Ranger 500 that was listed here on TBH. I'm going to have to buy a new trailer for it and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on getting a tilt bed versus getting a plain utility trailer. I think I'm leaning against getting one with a built in ramp because it limits carrying lot of stuff due to the ramp. I know the tilt trailers are noisy but is there any other draw backs to getting one. What does everyone think

get one w 2 ramps that slide up under the trailer if you don't want a gate. I have never priced a tilt, but I bet they are expensive and probably rattle a lot.

Comment

What does the ramp prevent you from hauling? Most ramps are removable. I bought a 12' tandem axle with a dovetail a couple of years ago and really like it. You could probably load a sxs without the ramp, but I've never hauled anything that the ramp hindered.

Comment

I have a 12’ with a dovetail and a ramp and while it won’t haul what a 14’ or 16’ will, it’s perfect for my CanAm. I used to have a tilt trailer. It was pretty handy too, but when you unloaded it everything on the place could hear. I solved the rattling part with a piece of rubber at the latch point, but all in all my preference is the dovetailed ramp. The short tailgate/ramp is so much lighter and can serve to haul things that are longer than 12’.

Comment

I have 2 with gates 16’ & 12’ both with fold down ramps. If you go this route get the assented springs!

Comment

dovetail and gate (with assist?) or ramps that store under the trailer. Never been a fan of the tilts.

Comment

I have a tilt 5x10 wish it was 6x12. It works great, just have to make sure your weight is forward or it will fishtail.

Comment

I tried a tilt and didnt like it at all. I'd go ramps over tilt

Comment

I have a tilt trailer for a ~18foot boat, maybe used the break away twice in 20 yrs. I would go with a ramp if it was me. JMO

Comment

I had a tilt trailer for hauling a Ranger. That thing was a RATTLETRAP. Never again for me.

Currently have a trailer with a gate and another with ramps stored underneath. Like them both much better than the tilt.

Comment

I’d get one with ramps or a gate and preferably dual axles. My 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                        I had a tilt trailer for hauling a Ranger. That thing was a RATTLETRAP. Never again for me.
                        same!

Comment

I think one of the things I would not like about a tilt is everything else would have to be off of it or would slide off when tilted. I have never used one, just a thought

Comment

In order for a tilt to work the axle must be centered which causes you to constantly fight getting enough tongue weight.

Get a ramp.

Comment

Are you talking like a ride on two place snowmobile tilt trailer? Those things don't rattle at all. I would go with that over a utility trailer any day. Much lighter (Aluminum), easier to tow, you can get a splash guard so the rocks don't hit your SXS. The link is what I am talking about. We used to use them until I got my enclosed trailer to keep the road salt off our sleds. They usually can be had for ~$1000.

https://www.mgtrailer.com/2019-trito...55303-i2518509

Comment

Working...
                              X