• Show
Clear All

F150 with the 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
      F150 with the 5.0
      X2

Comment

cars and trucks will easily go 300K if they are taken care of. Sure there will be some repairs along the way, but still way cheaper than new ones, especially if you require high end packages

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
          Thats a good looking truck, how much you going to list it for?
          Not sure yet. I was offered $28k trade in last summer but it had 74k miles on it then. Probably be $25k ballpark.

Custom heavy duty bumpers, XD Rims, tires with less than 10k miles on them, may throw in toolbox and bed cover as well. Depends what I put on the new truck. I went from 1 Ton to 1/2 Ton and switching back to 1 Ton.

Comment

Ill take bad gas mileage over needing repairs any day, all day.

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
            I heard they are horrible on gas mileage. My 5.4 gets about 15mpg, I'd like to go up and not down.

Comment

I work for GM here in Houston. I see good used trucks everyday. We just sold a 2011 Chevy crew with a 5.3 and 54,000 miles for $17,000 and was super clean with no issues. Just have keep looking and be ready when you find the one. I am in charge of getting all used vehicle ready to sell. Alot of dealers do not spend money on used vehicles but I can tell you we spend the money to sell quality vehicle. Fill free to PM me if you would like. Roy

Comment

I think you can find a decent used GM or Ford in that range. I would stay away from any Ford with the 10 speed Transmission or early 3.5 EB though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory.Shumate View Post
                  My advice is after you decide what to get, google what issues people commonly have with them. For example, type “2014 F-150 problem with” and see what google auto fills in after. If you do it with GM trucks around 09 it will be all kinds of people that had to replace the engine around 100k miles after the Active Fuel Management killed their truck. I know if the turbo has any issues on those eco boost fords it is big money repairs. They all have their weak link, but some detective google work may help you find one that has a weak link you can either fix yourself, or prevent from breaking on the first place. I have a 2002 Chevy and after owning an 09 GMC for a short stent, have decided I will drop a new motor/tranny in that thing before I wrestle with the newer trucks.
                  OP, follow this. Ford with the 3.5 or 5.0 is more than reliable. The turbo failure rate is incredibly low. It is one more moving part to have to repair though.

If you are going higher miles, I would stay away from the Dodge. I've yet to meet one that didn't get a exhaust manifold leak around 100-125k miles. And if you do any driving in salt in the wintertime, the body will rust out fast. And that doesn't include the electrical and rattling dash issues that will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                    I think you can find a decent used GM or Ford in that range. I would stay away from any Ford with the 10 speed Transmission or early 3.5 EB though.
                    I am 1 1/2 years in on a 10 sp transmission without any issues. What problems have you heard?

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                      I am 1 1/2 years in on a 10 sp transmission without any issues. What problems have you heard?
                      There was a big class action lawsuit announced recently regarding them.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Yes, I'd avoid the Ecoboost engines in the F150 too. Turbo Failure rate may be low - but statistically speaking, that's probably true for almost anything that breaks! I'm sure were I do buy one of those, failure rate would be 100% on a sample size of 1!

Plus the cost to replace those turbos is just stupid.

The more of these threads I read though, the more I think just buy a Tundra & be done with it. If real world MPG is just 2-3 less on the Tundra compared to everything else, probably going to be worth it to go Toyota.

Comment

Due diligence, patience, be very realistic (possible major repairs, etc) and be willing to walk off....my rules anyway.

5.0 is pretty bulletproof....very good engine via my Ford dealer buddy.

3.5 Eco was pretty problematic early on, but, SUPPOSEDLY the early issues are now worked out. My reman 5.4 3v, which was originally VERY problematic, has all the early issues fixed. (Runs quiet and very, very well)

I deal with a bunch of truck owners, of all stripes, on a daily basis. They own every possible make and model publicly available today. Virtually to a man they're always complaining about something.

IMOP, the "war" between manufactures for fancier and sexier, when combined with EPA MPG standards, has resulted in a lot of OVER-engineering. So, so, SO many things that can malfunction. I can also testify that reading truck forums will have you believing they're ALL POS....hehehe (though great Due diligence)

Ya just gotta figure out what YOU like.....YOUR priorities, ie 4x4, crew cab, etc etc etc for example.... Do your due diligence.....search.....look....find....then roll the dice from a position of educated reality and pull the trigger.....accept the results.

Comment

Buying a used truck?

If properly maintenance pretty much any truck should last over 200k miles.

I currently have an 04 Chevy Z71 with the 5.3 that has 285k miles on it and the engine is still strong and doesn’t use a drop of oil between changes. It does have a few minor seal leaks but that’s to be expected.

I also have a Ram 2500 diesel that has 165k on it and it’s rock solid inside and out.

I wouldn’t be scared to buy a Ford Ecoboost. There had to be literally millions of these on the road. If there were major problems you’d hear more about it than some speculation and internet bitching. Turbos have been on engines for a long time and routinely run hundred of thousands of miles. The 5.0 Coyote would be a sold choice as well.

The only bad thing I’ve heard on the Chevy’s are the certain year models with the AFM. I’m not certain of the year models but I would avoid them.

As to the Dodge/Ram trucks I can only speak from personal experience. I’ve owned several of them and have had good service from all of them and little to no of the chicken little internet claimed problems out of them.

You don’t have to buy from a dealership to finance one. As a matter of fact you’ll likely do better on rate and fees at your local bank/credit union unless you buy new and there are large incentives to finance through them. I would still shop their offer to see which way makes better sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If your buying a truck with around 100k on it be prepared to put some money in it. Thats the big service interval (tuneup, trans flush, diffs, transfer case etc)

Comment

Working...
                                X