No announcement yet.

PEX Pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kept it simple at then camp house. House is raised about 3’ off the ground so I have easy access and run it off a 110volt on demand pump. Bought a 4way water hose splitter and run water with a standard 1/2” water hose. I can cut it to length and only have the 2 connections, no elbows or turns, easy to drain if a freeze is forecast.

Comment

I was planning on running under cabin and coming through the floor, so no sun exposure.
      I guess I could run the PEX in PVC on the outside to prevent the possible rat chewing on it.

Comment

Pex was pits when first introduced. It has improved a lot. I am old school but willing to change. The crimp fittings are important. I would Never put push fittings like Sharkbites etc. unless in an area I could care less if it got wet. Code varies but in most areas I believe in new contruction, fittings are not allowed in wall cavities. It is the best pipe for freeze issues as it can expand some and not break. I sold the stuff for a while and at least tried to encourage an access panel if a fitting needed to be in the wall. I am not a plumber! So be sure to confirm your requirements in your area! Never heard any issues with rodents. I just hunt and aggravate TBH nowdays so ignore me

Comment

Don’t need elbows if you have a little room. They make a plastic thing that screws to whatever and just bend pex. Plastic thing keeps it from crimping itself off.

Comment

Pex is good ****

Comment

I will take pex over PVC any day. I have not had rodent problems. Well ok mice in the shop so they are there.... I have not had them mess with my pex in the shop or in the shut off valves outside.

Comment

50% of my average day is spent dealing with damages that plumbing pipes do to people’s homes.

I’ve had to deal with a bunch of breaks in copper, pvc, cpvc, and polybutylene piping,

But only once with PEX piping, and that one was where a car hit the wall it was in and stretched the line off the fitting. Never had a single issue with mice or rats chewing through it and a lot of it is run in the attics in Florida where the palm rats are a real problem. They chew through Romex and hvac ducts, but I haven’t seen them go for the pex pipe.

Not saying it doesn’t happen, but I’ve never seen it

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                  50% of my average day is spent dealing with damages that plumbing pipes do to people’s homes.

I’ve had to deal with a bunch of breaks in copper, pvc, cpvc, and polybutylene piping,

But only once with PEX piping, and that one was where a car hit the wall it was in and stretched the line off the fitting. Never had a single issue with mice or rats chewing through it and a lot of it is run in the attics in Florida where the palm rats are a real problem. They chew through Romex and hvac ducts, but I haven’t seen them go for the pex pipe.

I came back to this thread only cause I saw your post. I had my house completely re done in pex from galvanized about 5 years ago and was getting worried. Im also about to plumb a barn bathroom in it

Thanks for that

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post

We have had two houses built in the last few years (present one 2+ years old) and plumbed with pex. To date we have no issues. Glad to see the post above.

Comment

we used PEX interior in our attic.

Comment

The majority of new house are plumbed in pex and it is a product that has been around for a long time. I would install with confidence.

Comment

OP, make sure you install a manifold on the main line. Our builder didn't and now we have to turn off all water just to stop a leak in one individual line (If it ever happens to leak).

I would go with 3/4, but as others have said, you may have pressure issues.

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses. Hoping to get some of the plumbing ran this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                            X