Which Cartridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayspr View Post
    I personally think a 7-08 may be about perfect for whitetails. Short action, light recoiling, good bullet selection, can go short barrel without sacrificing too much and most of all..........wicked on whitetails.
    I love my 7-08 for all these reasons!

Comment

Hmmm 270 Weatherby slinging 170 bergers. 1:9 twist 26" Sendero contour

Second would be 26 nosler

3rd 25-06ai with 131 blackjacks.
      Last edited by Capt.Bryan; 12-14-2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Hot 6.5 26 Nosler 6.5/300 Weatherby 264 Winchester

Comment

I sure like my 280 AI that Alamo built me. Shot my first deer with it Wednesday afternoon and I am in love. 140 grain Accubond

Comment

260 or 7-08.

Comment

8mm-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Another vote for the 257 Weatherby Mag with a medium to heavy barrel with a fast twist rate.

Comment

If it's going to be a low round count shooter and a south Texas stand gun, I'd want an extremely flat shooting but capable of long range setup.

To me that's a magnum and it would start with a 7rm with a 140 and go up from there. The nosler mags in 26, 28 and 30 would be high on my list. The 28 slinging a 140-160 at warp speed would be very flat to 400 and with good optics capable of much more.

Some of the other fast 6.5s like the suam or sst from sherman would be a good way to go as well. As would the set in 7mm.

Too often we get caught up in the new wave of long and heavy for caliber bullets. Imo-this is where light to mid-weight bullets shine. In reality that extra BC from the heavies only shines at really long ranges starting at about 700ish yards and beyond.

For example, I'm loading the 130 tipped game king in my 65 prc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Having this exact setup built now. I went with the 129 grain Nosler Long Range Accubond in a 6.5 PRC

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                      If it's going to be a low round count shooter and a south Texas stand gun, I'd want an extremely flat shooting but capable of long range setup.

To me that's a magnum and it would start with a 7rm with a 140 and go up from there. The nosler mags in 26, 28 and 30 would be high on my list. The 28 slinging a 140-160 at warp speed would be very flat to 400 and with good optics capable of much more.

Some of the other fast 6.5s like the suam or sst from sherman would be a good way to go as well. As would the set in 7mm.

Too often we get caught up in the new wave of long and heavy for caliber bullets. Imo-this is where light to mid-weight bullets shine. In reality that extra BC from the heavies only shines at really long ranges starting at about 700ish yards and beyond.

For example, I'm loading the 130 tipped game king in my 65 prc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                      This is kind of my thought process as well. Will definitely be a lowish round count shooter, so barrel life is of zero concern to me. The 28 Nosler slinging 160 Accubonds would be an absolute hammer. Just not sure I want the muzzle blast/recoil associated with it. That’s why I had sort of settled on the 280ai with the 140s. However, I am strongly considering the 6.5 saum with either 130 or 140 Accubonds. I could run this in a 24” bbl versus the 26”+ the nosler will require.

I’m not really concerned with the high BC, heavy for caliber stuff as this gun will more than likely never see a shot over 400 yards. However, I want to have minimal holdover/adjustments from 0-400 with plenty of thump when it gets there.
                      Last edited by freerhunter16; 12-16-2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I have an apr 280AI that is 24" and I am shooting 175g ABLR at 2850. If I loaded 140g accubonds I'm sure it would sling them out around 3200 fps. I love my 280ai. Not sure how much faster you are wanting to go.

Comment

30-06....

Comment

.264 win mag or 6.5 PRC.

Comment

.257 Roberts.....

Comment

South Texas stand hunting would make me lean towards .284 or larger personally. Yes they are shot with less but having them drop in the tire tracks without much effort is worth something. I'm partial to the 280ai being a long time 7mm fan before seeing the AI benefits.

Comment

Working...
                                X