• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis Experts Need Input

How long?
    How old?
    Guesses on weight?

Where does this guy rate on the axis trophy scale?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JBJTX81; 01-09-2021, 10:14 PM.

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
    How long?
    How old?
    Guessing on length?

Where does this guy rate on the axis trophy scale?

Pics are helpful huh?

Comment

I would say 35” and a nice axis.

Comment

Great cottles, nice splits, not very wide, i think he is around 32". Nice buck, not a monster, velvet is deceptive.

200+ lbs live weight
        Mature I would guess 5yo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Reaper; 01-09-2021, 10:26 PM.

Comment

32"
          3y/o
          180-190lbs

Comment

I shot a 200 lb axis a few months back. It's my avatar. First glance, that thing is thick. but looking again, it almost looks like it has a thick winter coat, not necessarily super heavy. Antlers probably around 31". The eye guards (I think others call them cottles) are awesome though!

My avatar the long side was 32"

Comment

I have one that has been hitting my protein feeder every night about 7 pm for the last 2 months. I set up a night vision scope on my crossbow, and I'm hoping to catch him next weekend
              Attached Files

Comment

I’d say 6+ and pretty heavy. I’d say he’s all of 34-35”. Good deer

Comment

They always look bigger in velvet. My guess is 32 on length as well. He’s pretty thick horned. If your looking for a narrow buck to pop he would be a good contender. Brows are awesome on him

Comment

Obviously there’s always going to be a variety of options & estimations.

I’m not nearly into the numbers ratings as I am concerned with other factors...

To me it comes down to what you like and if the deer has maxed out his antler growth. I am always hesitant to take a velvet buck because of this.
                    Is there a potential for him to wander off and get taken by someone else? Or do you have the convenience of waiting & watching him develop?
                    There are often many more things to consider as well. A lot just depends.

Comment

Rule of thumb.
                      When he puts his head down to the ground to eat and his antlers are as high as the top of his back he is around 30 inches tall measuring the contour of his antlers. Hope this helps. There is always the exception to the rule.
                      My guess is he is 22” wide 30” tall.
                      I’ve harvested several Axis deer and they are good eating. But if they are really old, grind everything except the blackstrap and tenders.

Because even the gravy will be tough.

Comment

Originally posted by RLhunter View Post
                        Haha

Comment

Originally posted by RLhunter View Post
                          Rule of thumb.
                          When he puts his head down to the ground to eat and his antlers are as high as the top of his back he is around 30 inches tall measuring the contour of his antlers. Hope this helps. There is always the exception to the rule.
                          My guess is he is 22” wide 30” tall.
                          I’ve harvested several Axis deer and they are good eating. But if they are really old, grind everything except the blackstrap and tenders.

Pretty good analysis! I am covered up with Axis and would add this - 30-33". Weight wise he's plenty mature. With his body frame he'll go 200+ easy. Our heaviest to date has been 265. He does have great fronts! Just remember when he sheds his velvet he won't have near the 'mass' he looks like he's carrying today!

Comment

He looks like around 32-33, I’m guessing 5.5 and weight in the 250 range.

Comment

Axis

32-33 great Coddles. I just got 1 a week ago that is 37/36 at 30 inches wide. Trying to post but can never upload pics. If some can help I will add it. 2107798373

Comment

Working...
                              X