AC decided to give up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC decided to give up.

I was of the understanding that MO99 could be used in place of R22. When I bought my house, the smaller of the 2 units had a leak in the inside coil. They replaced that and recharged the system with MO99, and it has been working great ever since. That was over 5yrs ago. Both my units are 23yrs old.

Learn how Freon™ MO99™ (R-438A) can be used as a retrofit refrigerant for R-22. Using Freon™ MO99™ does not require an oil change.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Bisch; 06-23-2022, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
      I run our family company down here in Victoria/Port Lavaca. It’s highly recommended to replace both inside and out when switching refrigerants. You may get away with just doing either/or, but it could also cause problems.

I appreciate your input, sir. If we have to change refrigerants, I’ll do the whole system.

If I could conceivably get 4-6 years by changing the coil for a couple grand, I’d do that.

But it doesn’t seem like the added Freon yesterday has changed anything, so I may just be screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
        I was of the understanding that MO99 could be used in place of R22. When I bought my house, the smaller of the 2 units had a leak in the inside coil. They replaced that and recharged the system with MO99, and it has been working great ever since. That was over 5yrs ago. Both my units are 23yrs old.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting….

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          More A/C issues over here....any help would be appreciated.

Our house was at 75 Monday at dark when I got home, not super alarming, but higher than normal. I keep it on 70 or 71 and it doesn't get over 73 or so even in +100 heat, then catches up by midnight or so. Tuesday it got up to 77 or 78, and only cooled down to 73 or so by daylight yesterday. Unit has run non stop, compressor is running, fans running, no ice on coils that I could see.

I had a guy out yesterday who found some ice inside the coils and put 1 1/2 pounds of freon in it. He basically said it's old and losing capacity...does that sound right?

He said we can't just replace the outside unit, because they have new refrigerant now, and the whole unit would have to be replaced. Unit is 13 years old and runs on R22, I believe. I have no reason NOT to trust the guy, and he wasn't pushing to buy a new system, but this is the first time I've used him.

Any AC experts have other ideas besides window units?
          Dale I used Don's A/C in Bridgeport. Kid named Justin. He's a good kid and shoots straight. He has a leak detector cuz I gave him one I had when he was working on mine. (It was a $300 detector I bought for $30 on clearance at Lowes a couple years ago). I guess I really didn't give it to him, he swapped me for some freon to get me thru the winter last year until we could change the coil this summer. I had a leak in my coil in the attic. It was $2800 to replace it but mine has the new refrigerant.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank all of you guys for your input, it’s exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

I appreciate your input, sir. If we have to change refrigerants, I’ll do the whole system.

If I could conceivably get 4-6 years by changing the coil for a couple grand, I’d do that.

But it doesn’t seem like the added Freon yesterday has changed anything, so I may just be screwed.

Keep in mind, if your electric bill is over $250, that’s probably coming from your A/C. I’ve had customers who were hesitant to replace their unit call me back and say they’re saving over $200 a month. A lot of companies, including us, do no interest financing on replacements as well. A lot of people focus on the upfront cost of replacement when there’s actually quite a few benefits to spending the money to save money down the road. Not to mention these units aren’t getting any cheaper.

Comment

Keep in mind, if your electric bill is over $250, that’s probably coming from your A/C. I’ve had customers who were hesitant to replace their unit call me back and say they’re saving over $200 a month. A lot of companies, including us, do no interest financing on replacements as well. A lot of people focus on the upfront cost of replacement when there’s actually quite a few benefits to spending the money to save money down the road. Not to mention these units aren’t getting any cheaper.

This is a good point as well. Our summer bills went from the mid $400s to the low $200s. We paid cash for our system but the money we are saving, would have made a nice chunk of our monthly payments through-out the year had we financed....and our AC now keeps up with the summer heat versus reading 3-5 degrees warmer than the 70 my hot flashing wife wife requires t to be set on... Worked out well for us in the end after milking an old Trane for so long.

But I certainly understand wanting to save money up front. Replacing a evap coil only on mine was not an option though....

Comment

AC decided to give up.

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  This is a good point as well. Our summer bills went from the mid $400s to the low $200s. We paid cash for our system but the money we are saving, would have made a nice chunk of our monthly payments through-out the year had we financed....and our AC now keeps up with the summer heat versus reading 3-5 degrees warmer than the 70 my hot flashing wife wife requires t to be set on... Worked out well for us in the end after milking an old Trane for so long.

But I certainly understand wanting to save money up front. Replacing a evap coil only on mine was not an option though....

If she’s done, she’s done, and I’ll replace her.

My only real reservation is that you’re on year 22 of great efficiency, and I’m on year 13 and it’s dying…

We are also in full sun up here on the prairie, where I imagine you have some established shade/trees. So I’m just trying to weigh all this out as far as longevity and efficiency.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 06-23-2022, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Electric bill of 400?! That's crazy and I'd have a stroke if mine was anywhere close to that. Never had one over 130 at the casa and we keep it 72 during the day and 68 at night.

Feel for you guys having AC problems right now just went through it with my grandmother's ac. Had to replace the whole system and cost us a ton.

Comment

Thank you again. What ton and seer would you recommend for a 2100sf house, in north Texas with little to no shade? I like to keep it 68-71, and it’s a heat pump…if that matters.

Comment

If she’s done, she’s done, and I’ll replace her.

My only real reservation is that you’re on year 22 of great efficiency, and I’m on year 13 and it’s dying…

Understand that. You should have better efficiency at 2009 than I did early 1999. I would have wanted to go the coil only route (if that's your problem) at year 13. Heck that about the time I started pumping freon in mine annually for 7ish years. My AC guy said, as long as it holds it for a year we can keep doing it but when it goes to twice a year, its time..... 2020 was the magic year...

Comment

I bet you’d could, but I’d try to put R22 back in the unit since that’s what your compressor is meant to push through the system. I paid right at $1000 to have mine fixed. That included a 30 pound jug of r22, a slightly used evaporator coil and a shade tree HVAC guy to swap out the evaporator coil. He used dang near all of my r22 since mine had leaked out most all of the Freon. 5 ton heat pump system.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                            Electric bill of 400?! That's crazy and I'd have a stroke if mine was anywhere close to that. Never had one over 130 at the casa and we keep it 72
                            $130 in the summer? Never seen that.

70 during the day and 68 at night with the wife and I both working at home for the most part. The old unit never shut off until 11 at night during the summer. If I'd have known what I know now, I'd have replaced it a lot sooner. I just kept doing the fill it and forget it not wanting to deal with it or the cost..

Comment

Thank you again. What ton and seer would you recommend for a 2100sf house, in north Texas with little to no shade? I like to keep it 68-71, and it’s a heat pump…if that matters.

There’s a lot of factors, but it’s typically best to keep the size you currently have. I’m assuming you either have a 4 or 5. Personally I wouldn’t go over 16 seer or you’re looking at really big dollar signs. 16 seer is 90% of what I sell

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Understand that. You should have better efficiency at 2009 than I did early 1999. I would have wanted to go the coil only route (if that's your problem) at year 13. Heck that about the time I started pumping freon in mine annually for 7ish years. My AC guy said, as long as it holds it for a year we can keep doing it but when it goes to twice a year, its time..... 2020 was the magic year...

Wait, 2020, or 2000? On your unit.

Comment

Working...
                                X