2022 Salty H20 Thread.... Let's go! Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
    It’s tough right now, only a few areas are holding crab, I’m a commercial crabber out of Matagorda and our production is off about 30%, salinity levels over here are dangerously high, most of the crab right now are about in 3ft of water, with the exception of the creeks and rivers

Okay, thanks for the info. That makes sense. I see crab trap lines near shore lines, and mine were all separated on purpose but in 4-5’ of sand bottom,

But while fishing And floundering I was stepping all over blue crabs. Heck I netted more than my traps caught.

Would Boggy Bayou be a good place in these conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
      Okay, thanks for the info. That makes sense. I see crab trap lines near shore lines, and mine were all separated on purpose but in 4-5’ of sand bottom,

But while fishing And floundering I was stepping all over blue crabs. Heck I netted more than my traps caught.

Would Boggy Bayou be a good place in these conditions?

Give it try! You can only improve

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
        Give it try! You can only improve

True, I’ll Report back After Sunday. Hopefully with a tagged red photo to boot[emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
          Thanks but I don't sell lures, I make em for myself. I have a thread in the DIY forum. Besides those croaker paddle tails are very time consuming. I paint them on the inside with an airbrush. The fish don't care how pretty they are apparently. Lol
          Lol true. But to my wife it matters and if she keeps buying me 15 dollar super spooks I’m not going to stop her

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            Guys I’ve been in a slump and just recently switched gears. I started fishing early - 4am early. Usually done by 730 and back at house for breakfast. I’ve done this for the last week and I’ve hammered the trout
            I can confirm this, 4am to sunrise has been hot for the last two to three weeks at least. I've had a number of days I'm limited out in minutes and get to sit back and watch others catch their's.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
            That’s hard to do when you stay up drinking till midnight.

My wife works nights, so we just drink til sunrise and fish the good hours then sleep in the heat of the day.

West Matty. Front bays out of POC. Typically, I’m always able to pick my traps full of blue crabs. It’s been a bummer this summer. My father thinks high salinity due to lack of rain. Said some guys claimed the creeks/rivers were full of blue crabs

Crabbin has been good for us, but I did notice they're almost all females that we're catching shallow. Good body sizes and smallish claws. Check out the size of that stoney.
            Attached Files

Comment

Guys I’ve been in a slump and just recently switched gears. I started fishing early - 4am early. Usually done by 730 and back at house for breakfast. I’ve done this for the last week and I’ve hammered the trout

That’s my normal summertime routine. I usually fish from about 5 am-9am or so. Evenings can be good too.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                I can confirm this, 4am to sunrise has been hot for the last two to three weeks at least. I've had a number of days I'm limited out in minutes and get to sit back and watch others catch their's.

My wife works nights, so we just drink til sunrise and fish the good hours then sleep in the heat of the day.

Crabbin has been good for us, but I did notice they're almost all females that we're catching shallow. Good body sizes and smallish claws. Check out the size of that stoney.
                One of these days I’m just going to show up around dinner time.

Comment

Doug and I tried fishing yesterday evening and wind had water stained and we had casting practice. Got up this morning early and caught a bunch of trout. No idea how many. Mostly undersized but but at least 8 that were over 17. Doug kept 6 to have family over to eat. Good morning- I fish Ice colored Down South and Doug caught on popping cork and DOA combo
                  When you incriminate you buddy on a public forum

Just messing with you, I am sure this was a 2 day bag.

Comment

I have found DOA shrimp (or the like) or fly rod fly’s can coax lock jawed redfish in shallow water to bite.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                      One of these days I’m just going to show up around dinner time.
                      In a couple months we're gonna do another crab boil and stuff an old camper full of Tannerite and diesel and unload on it. I'll shoot you an invite.

Comment

Well I gave him my limit and a few snapper fillets from the other day. I don’t freeze fish since I fish most days. Don’t keep most days either. If I’m gonna eat ‘em I’ll keep enough for wife and I. I just like pulling on their face
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post

That is a magnum Stoney! Those are rare for me to catch in traps in POC, But down in Port Isabel stone crabs were 90% of the crab in my traps, it was awesome, even catch bonus mangrove snapper some days [emoji28] down there. This year I’ve been surprised 3 times with 11-13” flounder in my traps. The flounder population looks good for the future, I stepped over about 30 one night that were all close or right at legal. I pass those as they don’t really provide much of a fillet at 15”. I want the big thick ones!

Every time I flounder I see a couple stoneys and step on them and put the right claws in my pockets, makes for great crab topping on broiled or stuffed flounder.

I’m going to try my traps shallower this weekend, without burning a bunch of fuel. I’ve had better luck catching crabs on rod and reel soaking bait then in my traps lately.

Comment

Every time I flounder I see a couple stoneys and step on them and put the right claws in my pockets, makes for great crab topping on broiled or stuffed flounder.
                            I catch Blues that way, but I'm afraid to lose a finger with a stoney. LOL... I don't run across them often floundering though just tons of blues. I'd pick stone crab claws as a last meal if I ever had to choose one, love them things.

Comment

Well I gave him my limit and a few snapper fillets from the other day. I don’t freeze fish since I fish most days. Don’t keep most days either. If I’m gonna eat ‘em I’ll keep enough for wife and I. I just like pulling on their face
                              Those are some good looking trout, not so much of a good looking fella. Haha 😂

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                                those are some good looking trout, not so much of a good looking fella. Haha 😂

lol! :d

Comment

Working...
                                X