New scope recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New scope recommendations

My eyes aren’t working like they used to, and in low light situations I am finding it harder to identify animals at the feeder, even through the scope. Some of the areas I hunt are heavily wooded which makes it even harder to see the last 20 or so minutes of shooting light. Looking for a good quality scope that will gather as much light as possible for under $400 or so. I currently have a Leupold on my Thompson Center Encore, and I have been pleased with it. Just looking for suggestions from some of the guys that shoot more than I do.

I would go with a 50mm objective and 30mm main tube to drawn in as much light as possible. Europtic has a special right now on Vortex scopes. Let me look it up for you.

Comment

Tons of magnification.

Comment

I'm sure someone will come along with a great solution but imo a $400 scope isn't going to be a game changer if your sight is getting that bad.

Can you see through the scope well enough to aim?

I'd try to put as much money possible towards a really nice pair of binoculars if you can. Identify with binos then shoot

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
          High magnification with that quality of glass is going to achieve opposite results of what he wants

Comment

I had issues with Vortex scope in low light situations.

Comment

There many great reviews on the vortex scopes. His budget is the main factor.

Let's just recommend a scope for his budget instead of recommending something different.

Even if you can see with good binoculars, you still have to see the target thru the scope, which he has said is an issue for him.

I do a ton of research before making purchases. More often then not, I get paralysis by analysis and its not really necessary.

1. He wants a new scope
              2. He can spend a maximum of $400

What fits that budget?

Comment

Just a little over but a hell of deal and scope SWFA SS 3-15x42 demo under $500.

Comment

I guess what Im wondering, is can I find a decent upgrade to what I have for teh price I am willing to spend. Here is what I have now.

Explore the very best in riflescopes. Leupold delivers legendary performance and dependability hunters and shooters expect from a premium riflescope. Leupold riflescopes are guaranteed for life.

It does amazing for every situation except the last 15-20 minutes of shooting light. Even in dawn light I can make everything out because my eyes are adjusted to low light. Its the transition in the other direction as my eyes are trying to adjust to losing light.

Here is something I found, and was wondering if upgrading to a similar model would be worth the extra expense, or if the difference would even be noticeable.

Explore the very best in riflescopes. Leupold delivers legendary performance and dependability hunters and shooters expect from a premium riflescope. Leupold riflescopes are guaranteed for life.

Comment

Is your scope a vx 2 or vari x ii?

I might be interested in it if you're trying to expand the budget any.

Comment

The problem is optical quality is easy in the day. My pst gen 2 rivaled some higher end scopes in the day. But at dusk or dawn the gen 2 struggles...

I would go the lowest mag you can find with the best glass.

Comment

It's going to be tough to beat a Leupold for low light clarity. Take a look at the Leupold VX-3i line and look for something with a 50mm objective and a 30mm tube.

Comment

I have a vx-3i 2.5-8x36 i'm considering listing here. It does well in low light especially at only 100 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                            My eyes aren’t working like they used to, and in low light situations I am finding it harder to identify animals at the feeder, even through the scope. Some of the areas I hunt are heavily wooded which makes it even harder to see the last 20 or so minutes of shooting light. Looking for a good quality scope that will gather as much light as possible for under $400 or so. I currently have a Leupold on my Thompson Center Encore, and I have been pleased with it. Just looking for suggestions from some of the guys that shoot more than I do.

Look for a Meopta Meostar used if you can. You will probably have to up your budget by a $300 but it’s well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get you a vortex enough said

Comment

Working...
                              X