Feeder timer or motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder timer or motor?

I have a Judge feeder that is about 6 or 7 years old and recently it has started to "stick" when it is supposed to run. I can go out and press the test button and it does nothing. If I use a stick to manually rotate the feeder plate then run the test again, the spinner plate will throw corn. Once that happens, it seems to spin at the regular speed and throw corn about the same as in the past. The battery shows a full charge but, interestingly, reports 6V even though the battery is 12v as is the motor. It has been this way a very long time. It is a "foreverlast" timer that replaced my second failed "the timer".

Before I shovel out corn and dig in there, what's the most likely culprit in your opinion?

Corn husk or string from corn sack might be up in the funnel that u can’t see. When u move the plate around with a stick it might b moving that husk or string around just enough that it unplugs it temporarily. That’s been my experience a couple of times. If that ain’t it, my second guess is that your motor is going out.

Comment

First try it with a good 12v battery then a little oil on your motor shaft.

Comment

Thanks guys. I’ll have to dig out corn first…

Comment

Check any wiring you can too. I had a new feeder that would spin perfect ,then not spin. i would mess with it & it would work for a bit again.Talked to the manufacturer & he said I will send you a new motor. When I got ready to take it apart I found a spot that the wiring was uninsulated. It would hit the metal side when the feeder would spin next time & then when I messed with it would spin. After a few spins it would vibrate enough to make contact again. I put in new motor & no more issues for 7 years now.

Comment

If I was going to empty a Judge feeder again I would take the bottom plate off park a wheel barrow under it or other large wheeled container and then remove the spinner plate.

Comment

Put a volt meter on the motot circuit and try it and see if its getting current at startup on test. And true 12 volt and a little squirt of oil is too easy.
              Last edited by Walker; 05-22-2022, 10:13 AM.

Comment

90% time it’s the battery, volt meter on battery is where I would start

Comment

Could be faulty windings or bad bearings. Try oil like another person suggested. I'd start with a rust cutter like WD40 to start then if it helps add some light oil.

Comment

I’d take a new motor, battery, timer and solar panel. That way it’s fixed when I walk away and won’t have to mess with it for another 3-5 years.

Comment

Definitely sounds like an issue with the motor. It could need replacing, or you might be able to fix it with some WD40.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                        I’d take a new motor, battery, timer and solar panel. That way it’s fixed when I walk away and won’t have to mess with it for another 3-5 years.
                        This is usually how I attack them.

Also, double check the screw or Allen screw that holds the spinner plate to the shaft. I’ve seen those come loose just enough that they would cause issues

Comment

Working...
                        X