How cold is it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How cold is it

I got a notice that I had a package delivered yesterday. I am one of those that have to go to a community box up on the county road. So I get bundled, go out and warm up the truck. Drive to the automatic gate in the house tract and get it to open. Then drive the half mile to the ranch entrance gate and get out to open the combination lock on the front gate. It was a solid block of ice. After beating on the lock for a while I got the numbers to roll but the lock would still not open and by then I was frozen so I went back to the house and made hot coffee. I will take some hot water with me when I get out to go get the mail today. Not looking forward to breaking ice for water and feeding the livestock today.

The cold motivates you to get things done quick I've learned. It's -5 here right now. I'm just glad I didn't get a flat tire on my way to work this morning. I would have looked like pit crew changing that sucker.

Comment

Today should be a good day for getting the water to the livestock. We are supposed to get into the mid-thirties by the middle of the afternoon. The ice in the troughs was probably an inch thick yesterday. Might be closer to three inches today. I use a rock bar but might take the ten-pound sledge hammer to get things started today. Those locks can be a pain. A little propane torch with the push button sparker is the way to go. Forget the hot water. You'll get your hands wet and cold almost immediately.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Glad I read this. My wife just informed me we had a perscription arrive in our mailbox yeasterday. Was going to walk over there and thought I'd open like normal. Now I'll be bringing a hammer and small tourch.

Comment

Cold weather makes lots of Texans lose their minds. It’s embarrassing honestly. Folks up north laugh at how we react to it. As a Texan, I don’t care what northerners think. That being said, they ain’t wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Cold weather makes lots of Texans lose their minds. It’s embarrassing honestly. Folks up north laugh at how we react to it. As a Texan, I don’t care what northerners think. That being said, they ain’t wrong.
              Shhh! We don’t want our employers finding out we really could get to the office when there’s an inch of snow on the ground.

Comment

It’s cold…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bugleboy View Post
                  Shhh! We don’t want our employers finding out we really could get to the office when there’s an inch of snow on the ground.

This guy gets it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've worked in Washington state, Kansas City and about 30 miles north of Boston, Massachusetts. They have the equipment to handle the snow. It seems like every guy with a 4X4 pickup has a snow plow and there are dozens of state and county trucks plowing and spreading salt on all the roads. Last year we got 16" of snow north of Boston and by noon every major road had been cleared and I drove my 2WD to work. I never saw any ice or freezing rain there. That's way worse than snow. We're not equipped for snow in Texas, let alone the ice.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks and sounds like some of y'all are having some serious weather. It got to 25 last night and this morning, we have a little bit of ice, but it's not really any form of a problem, other than there are some places the power is out and there are some roads shut down. I would like to go get some work done, but I am afraid will drive 40 miles to find out there is no power. Yesterday afternoon, there was power out, in a lot of that area. Then my wife told me this morning, they closed multiple roads in that area. Don't think it's worth driving over there to find out, at this point. It was up to 28 degrees an hour ago. I was hoping the sun was going to come out and warm things up.

Comment

Originally posted by bugleboy View Post
                        Yep, schools closed, can’t get to work, I hope we all survive this blizzard.

Comment

**** cold!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                            I've worked in Washington state, Kansas City and about 30 miles north of Boston, Massachusetts. They have the equipment to handle the snow. It seems like every guy with a 4X4 pickup has a snow plow and there are dozens of state and county trucks plowing and spreading salt on all the roads. Last year we got 16" of snow north of Boston and by noon every major road had been cleared and I drove my 2WD to work. I never saw any ice or freezing rain there. That's way worse than snow. We're not equipped for snow in Texas, let alone the ice.

You not wrong, but our cars don't turn into a rust ball after 5 years ether.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post

Huge difference down here
                              My sister lived in New York, and when I was visiting we got a 12-15 inch snow and I was excited the kids and sister would be home
                              All day, nope all school and roads open , even the drive way was plowed,

Comment

Working...
                              X