No announcement yet.

Who makes their own bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man that makes my mouth water. Great job.

Comment

did'nt know it was that easy

Comment

I got a slab ready to smoke . About 8 lbs worth .

Comment

Finished up a small batch . Right at 12 lbs . Maple and black pepper. This is off of one of my pigs we raised .

Comment

Comment

Looks great.
              I’ve got 12 pounds in the cure as I type.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                Looks great.
                I’ve got 12 pounds in the cure as I type.

I’m going to start another batch I’m trading for a bunch of beef .

Comment

Hey Strummer, your picture above made me think of this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	289432858_5634262743265098_1879534394899877348_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	24686829

I've been making my own bacon for the last several months. Where and how much are the bellies you're purchasing? The last belly I bought from HEB was $3.79/lb. Still considerably cheaper than even the cheap bacon.
                  Last edited by Michael; 06-30-2022, 06:02 PM.
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Hey Strummer, your picture above made me think of this!

[ATTACH]1093743[/ATTACH]

I've been making my own bacon for the last several months. Where and how much are the bellies you're purchasing? The last belly I bought from HEB was $3.79/lb. Still considerably cheaper than even the cheap bacon.

That’s awesome, got to save it . The bellies I have now are from a pig we raised . I got about 50 to 60 lbs of belly of of her . Hanging weight was 586 lbs .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                      That’s awesome, got to save it . The bellies I have now are from a pig we raised . I got about 50 to 60 lbs of belly of of her . Hanging weight was 586 lbs .
                      Ah, now I remember reading that!
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Ah, now I remember reading that!

When I do buy them I get them from Brookshire brothers in ganado . They will order them by them for me . Been a year or two since I bought any .

Comment

This thread got me to thinking that I wanted to make my own bacon so I did.
                          It turned out great. Far better than store bought bacon but I want more flavor!

Comment

Bacon and Egg sandwich gone for breakfast now thinking BLT for lunch.... I gotta build me a smoker. I like jerky too.

Comment

I have made my own bacon for years. I have used both tenderquik and plain sea salt. Either way works well. You should use the coarse ground sea salt to prevent the end product for being overly salty.

Comment

I also use Hickory wood to smoke the bacon. I prefer the taste.

Comment

Working...
                                X