2022 Thermal and Night Vision thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedYote View Post
    You’re arguing with 2 sponsors that deal in night hunting at the same time in 2 different threads about how much more you know than they do, lol
    I am not arguing with 2 sponsors. Thanks though

I am offering my opinion from my field experiences. I go hunting alot more then most and have seen thru more scopes then most.

More then Jason? No!!!

I killed 250-350 pigs a year I bet and can only speak from my experience and friends experiences who use scopes of all levels. Mostly 4,000 dollars and up

Also, keep in mind. Some people have to sell a product. To people of all money levels. The majority of hunters want the best budget option, so companies cater to who makes them the most money. There are ALOT more people looking to spend $2500-4000 then there are looking to spend $6-8k.

BY NO MEAN AM I SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT OUR SPONSORS as they are awesome and do a great job

No one will ever tell me a red light or cheap NV will kill as many pigs as a thermal. Just like a scanner helps kill more pigs then a better thermal scope to shoot with
    Last edited by gingib; 05-25-2022, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

I am offering my opinion from my field experiences. I go hunting alot more then most and have seen thru more scopes then most.

More then Jason? No!!!

I killed 250-350 pigs a year I bet and can only speak from my experience and friends experiences who use scopes of all levels. Mostly 4,000 dollars and up

Also, keep in mind. Some people have to sell a product. To people of all money levels. The majority of hunters want the best budget option, so companies cater to who makes them the most money. There are ALOT more people looking to spend $2500-4000 then there are looking to spend $6-8k.

BY NO MEAN AM I SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT OUR SPONSORS as they are awesome and do a great job

No one will ever tell me a red light or cheap NV will kill as many pigs as a thermal. Just like a scanner helps kill more pigs then a better thermal scope to shoot with
      You already responded to that post nearly 3 weeks ago but now a second arugument, lol

Let me guess your spotting scope is $399 but your rifle scope is $2399

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

More then Jason? No!!!

Are there situations where an extra scope that is used as a handheld would be very benificial? Yes. Are there situations where a dedicated handheld would be very benificial? Yes. It is alll about the conditions that are most common that you hunt in to sway which one is best for you.

Also there are features in models like the InfiRay zoom that has an optical zoom that is very helpful to a guy like me that is not offered in a scope curreently.

Agreed that as a general statement you can kill more hogs with a thermal than you can with a light or digital NV. However there are situations that you wont. If there is a guy out there that just wants to shoot racoons off the feeder that is 75 yards from his house there would be nothing wrong with buying a $500 Sightmark Wraith digital NV or even a feeder light. Or if a guy primarily hunts out of a blind that only gets one shot in a very clear and established shooting lane there is nothing wrong with using a light or digital NV. Is thermal a better/cooler option? Sure but if it is not in someones budget or they just dont feel like spending the extra money then stick with the cheaper option. I would bet the farm that there are still more hogs killed with digital NV or lights than thermal solely because the amount of lights and NV are exponentially more than thermal. Same thing can be said about 223/556 vs any other caliber. More have been killed with 223/556 just because there are more of them.

Lastly, I think all of us are talking past eachother. Fact of the matter is the conditions and styles of hunting vary greatly across our great state of which changes what equipment is best for your situation.

Comment

I recieved my Iray Zoom ZH38 thermal scanner from Outdoor Legacy yesterday. Great people to deal with, I can’t wait to put it to work!

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
            I recieved my Iray Zoom ZH38 thermal scanner from Outdoor Legacy yesterday. Great people to deal with, I can’t wait to put it to work!
            I absouletly love mine. The optical zoom is awesome. I use the 1.6x more than I thought I would for detection and then 3.2x for ID and good video.

Comment

Just ordered a AGM Rattler TS35 from Jason. Hope to drop some hogs this weekend with it.

Comment

Anyone got any input on a Super Hogster vs Super Yoter? I am trying to decide between the 2. Is the difference in the Yoter's resolution really going to outweigh the wider field of view that the Hogster has? I'm a newbie, this is my first thermal scope.

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy D View Post
                  Anyone got any input on a Super Hogster vs Super Yoter? I am trying to decide between the 2. Is the difference in the Yoter's resolution really going to outweigh the wider field of view that the Hogster has? I'm a newbie, this is my first thermal scope.
                  What's your hunting style going to be and for what critters?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                    I absouletly love mine. The optical zoom is awesome. I use the 1.6x more than I thought I would for detection and then 3.2x for ID and good video.
                    That’s really good to hear! I hope to never need it but the five year five day repair or replacement, was the deciding factor for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy D View Post
                      Whats your average shot distance? Also I thought the super hogster was a 2.9x and the yoter was a 2x meaning the yoter not only has more resolution but a wider field of view because it has less magnification.

I think the price difference between them is $600, I think that is money well spent to the yoter to get 640.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                        That’s really good to hear! I hope to never need it but the five year five day repair or replacement, was the deciding factor for me.
                        You and me both. The more I use the unit the more I like it. I think Pulsars 640 units have a better image quality but the warranty, the battery life, the free extra battery and of course the most important thing is that optical zoom.

It was funny when this scope came out, a few years ago I emailed Jason saying that digital zoom is worhtless and they really need to figure out optical zoom. When this unit came out I felt obligated to buy it lol. I can't wait for it to be available in a scope.

Comment

Anyone had any luck lately? I went out Friday night calling from 1030-230am and dindt see anything other than a racoon and a deer. Man it was hot......... I was sweating until midnight almost.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                            Anyone had any luck lately? I went out Friday night calling from 1030-230am and dindt see anything other than a racoon and a deer. Man it was hot......... I was sweating until midnight almost.
                            A friend and I killed 8-10 hogs with thermals up near Cleveland Saturday night. I wasn't terribly impressed with his thermal stuff. It was mostly 320 stuff, and, in the heat, the contrast was pretty bad. I would have been better off with my PVS-14 and an IR laser.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                              A friend and I killed 8-10 hogs with thermals up near Cleveland Saturday night. I wasn't terribly impressed with his thermal stuff. It was mostly 320 stuff, and, in the heat, the contrast was pretty bad. I would have been better off with my PVS-14 and an IR laser.
                              Hot and humid nights are less than optimal for thermal for sure.

Comment

For anyone looking for a Hogster R35 I have one up for sale in the classifieds. It has been a good unit for me, mostly used as a scanner and sometimes as a backup. I am selling it to upgrade into a unit with LRF and internal recording.

Comment

Working...
                                X