Thoughts On Bullet Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I tried this thread before but it went on a rabbit trail. So ....

Here is my question put another way. I'm trying to set up my rifles (I understand that some are redundant as far as capability).

I have: a 257 Weatherby mag set up w/ 120 grain, Nosler Partitions
    a 30-30 Marlin set up with 160 grain Hornady
    My dads 30-06 that I am planning on setting up with 180 grain Nosler Partitions
    a 300 Win Mag. Do I go with 180 or 200 grain Nosler Partitions? I understand, shoot both, yada, yada, yada, but I'm asking is a 180 grain to close / similar to the 30-06, which would push me to the 200 grain? Or not?

Thoughts?

If I had a .300 Win I would probably shoot 150 grain bullets in the ‘06. I have a .300 WSM and I shoot 140 grain Sierra GKs in my .280 Rem.

Comment

Depends really on what you're shooting. I've shot deer in Texas with 150 gr. for the 300 mag with solid results. I slow it down to around 2900, 72 gr of 4831.

Comment

165's in the 06, 180's in the 300. Your fine on the other 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Not questioning, but can you explain why?

Comment

What twist rates are the 06 and 300WM?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I always try to go for heavy projectiles for the caliber first off. Then if I work on the best accuracy I can.

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                Not questioning, but can you explain why?
                We're not shooting wooly mammoths and in my experience those weights work and shoot good. Heavy weights have lesser trajectories and that's what we shoot 300 wm's for. Otherwise the 06 is all you need.

Comment

I agree with Walker. Shoot something like a 165gr in the -06(also my personal choice). I like the 165gr Sierra gameking HPBT. Get that slightly higher velocity and a better trajectory on it. Don’t think there is much of anything in North America that would appreciate getting smacked with a 165gr projectile at ~2900fps.

Use the 300wm for those heavier bullets. It’s what it’s made for. It will sling a 200gr at the same speed as the -06 will push a 165.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    This right here. 165s seem to work real good in 30.06. Unless you're going after something really big you don't need 200gr in the 300 and may get a little benefit from more velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
                      This right here. 165s seem to work real good in 30.06. Unless you're going after something really big you don't need 200gr in the 300 and may get a little benefit from more velocity.

This ^^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I try to get my hunting bullets to 3000fps or faster if possible. I can’t explain it but there seems to be something magic about 1 shot drops when getting a bullet over 3000fps.

.308 - 150 grain will usually get there
                        .30-06 - 165-168 grain will usually get there
                        300 WM - 180-85 will usually get there.

^^^^These are all talking about factory ammo. Those can easily be bumped up with hand loads.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          I try to get my hunting bullets to 3000fps or faster if possible. I can’t explain it but there seems to be something magic about 1 shot drops when getting a bullet over 3000fps.

.308 - 150 grain will usually get there
                          .30-06 - 165-168 grain will usually get there
                          300 WM - 180-85 will usually get there.

^^^^These are all talking about factory ammo. Those can easily be bumped up with hand loads.

What .308 or .30-06 factory ammo is throwing those bullets at 3k fps?

The 150 out of a .308 is 2800 or so, same with the 06’ and the 165 grain

My 180 grain noslers in my .300 win are 2960 fps…but has no problem dumping game with one shot

Comment

I am by no means an expert. What I have heard from some very smart people when it comes to accuracy is to do some research and match the bullet weight to the twist rate of your barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                              What .308 or .30-06 factory ammo is throwing those bullets at 3k fps?

The 150 out of a .308 is 2800 or so, same with the 06’ and the 165 grain

My 180 grain noslers in my .300 win are 2960 fps…but has no problem dumping game with one shot

I can only go by personal experience with my 308. It shoots Hornady Superformance 150 SST an average of 3007fps. It also shoots my hand loaded 175 Bergers at 2803fps. I’ve shot 168ABLR as high as 2960.

24” R700 300 Win Mag shoots 180 hand loads over 3000fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X