No announcement yet.

Warning gas eating bug fire hazard!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy chit makes me not want to eat corn..... That beetle scene in Mummy or whichever movie it was comes to mind...

Comment

Whats gunna happen to the plastic tanks on everyones cars and trucks?

Comment

I'm glad I saw this.

Comment

That’s Crazy

Comment

I've never heard of such. That's crazy! I wonder if ethanol-free gas is safe from them??

Description, life cycle, ecological significance and pest status, and monitoring and damage prevention.

Comment

It’s definitely time to go back to true gasoline, F ethanol
              I wonder if the epa gives me a pass when they bore into some and we have a leak or spill

Comment

Sum beech, that is not good. I kept waiting for the punch line, but I guess it isnt coming. Gonna check all my jugs this afternoon.

Comment

I contacted the county extension agent. They plan to get the word out via news media.

Comment

This world gets crazier every day. You would think the gas would kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      I've never heard of such. That's crazy! I wonder if ethanol-free gas is safe from them??

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/profiles...e1608073218339
                      I dunno... they ate mom's welcome matt and a bottle of bar and chain oil. Pretty sure no ethanol in those.
                      Last edited by GarGuy; 04-27-2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                        Whats gunna happen to the plastic tanks on everyones cars and trucks?
                        And lawn mowers, and boats, etc

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          I dunno... they at mom's welcome Matt and a bottle of bar and chain oil. Pretty sure no ethanol in those.
                          Wow. I was hoping to learn that they couldn't survive very far north, but what I just read says they've been found as far north as Pennsylvania. They'll be at my house too before long, I guess.

Comment

Almost beyond belief! How in the hell does gas not kill these things? Crazy

Comment

Steve this may need to be ordered

I have camphor borers targeting my gas tanks at my dock. Also got into the fuel line for my boat. Never heard of them but the local coop told me what they

Comment

Yet another consequence of the ethanol boondoggle!

They are strongly attracted to vapors given off by gasoline, because of the high ethanol content of modern formulations. Ethanol is commonly released by stressed and dying trees and serves as a powerful attractant for insects, such as the camphor shot borer, that attack stressed trees. This has resulted in an alternative common name for the species, gasoline beetles, for their habit of boring into gasoline tanks and hoses by mistake. Mysterious, BB-sized holes began appearing in plastic gasoline containers and fuel lines of small engines shortly after the discovery of camphor shot borers in Louisiana. Close inspection revealed that many of these holes were plugged by the dead bodies of the female beetles. Such incidents create fire and environmental hazards because of leakage of fuel, often only discovered during fuel transfers. At least one case of near stranding in the Gulf of Mexico was reported from Florida after beetles bored holes through marine fuel lines

Comment

Working...
                                X