Fletching Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fletching Questions

I seem to be having trouble making Blazers stick to my wraps. If I mount a Blazer straight to the shaft, there seems to be no issues. There are no issues with feathers either mounting directly to the shaft or on a wrap.

Question for the masses:

Are you supposed to clean the base of a Blazer before glueing? (I was under the impression that there is some sort of activator on the Blazer from the factory, so cleaning prior to was not recommended).

I run a right helical clamp, with a pretty good offset on the Bitz, but there appears to be really good contact on both sides and for the length.

Wraps: Onestringer
    Glue: Gold Tip Tip Grip

Clean vane glue edge and clean wrap with a Qtip dipped in acetone or something similar that does not attack the plastics. Switch glue, I have good luck with the G5 Blu Glu.

Comment

Super Glue Gel. No more problems

Comment

You may have to push down and hold pressure on the clamp against the arrow and let the glue set. I was having a little trouble and that fixed my issue. I use Goat Tuff glue, thinking of trying Gorilla instant glue, heard it works great too.

Comment

I use the gorilla glue that comes with a brush. It has worked great for me and I use blazers with a wrap and right helical like you. Also as mentioned, add some pressure to the clamp when you put the vane on the wrap. It definitely helps.

Comment

I hate when fletchings don’t stick so I have my little system. I rough up the wrap where the canes with go with a scotch brite pad. Then I rub that area with a paper towel with some 90% alcohol. If using fletchtite platinum I don’t clean the blazer base and just glue. Use a thin bead of glue. If using a super glue I will run a cotton swab with alcohol over the vane base. Has worked well for me. I try not to touch the arrow or fletch with my fingers after cleaning to avoid skin oils. May be excessive but stuff sticks!

Comment

I’m fletching helical blazers on Onestringer wraps now. I found when I put the blazer in the clamp I leave the base about 1/16” proud. Then when I put it on the arrow, the middle gets pushed towards the clamp more that the ends due to the helical twisting around the shaft.

Make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Forgot to add, I use an Arizona ez fletch mini for mine. It gives max helical that I have seen in the short vanes. I do try to apply a little extra pressure at first to make sure there is good contact. Has worked for me.

Comment

Fletching Questions

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  I put the blazer in the clamp I leave the base about 1/16” proud. Then when I put it on the arrow, the middle gets pushed towards the clamp more that the ends due to the helical twisting around the shaft.

Make sense?

X2

Comment

I always wipe the glue surface on the vane with acetone before applying glue. I also have settled on Gorilla glue blue cap and have had no issues. I think if you use acetone on the wrap it might remove the dye on the wrap just be careful.

Comment

Once I wrap the arrows, I wash them with warm water and Dawn. I never have issues with them sticking. This has worked with Blazer and Onestringer wraps

Comment

Originally posted by Hillbilly Rockstar View Post
                        I seem to be having trouble making Blazers stick to my wraps. If I mount a Blazer straight to the shaft, there seems to be no issues.
                        Seems like it’s a wrap issue then. In addition to swiping the vane base with a Q-tip soaked in acetone, I’d put some acetone on a cloth and make a quick swipe of the wrap too.

Comment

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll try all of this out and see if it helps.

Comment

I also put a drop of glue on the front of the vane and one on the rear, I like to use the Blu Glu cause I can see what kind of mess I am making. This past weekend I re done some arrows and used Gun Scrubber sprayed on a Qtip for cleaning and it worked just fine.

Last edited by Radar; 01-10-2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Fletching Questions

I’ve wrapped hundreds of arrows using Onestringer wraps, Blazers and CE glue. I never clean the wraps nor do I do anything to the base of the vane. Blazers come primed from the factory. I put 8-9 drops of glue spaced equally along the vane edge then run a toothpick down the base to lightly spread the glue out. With glue less is more imo so be careful not to get too much down as this can cause issues as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X