Reliability Newer Diesels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliability Newer Diesels

Within the next few months I will be in the market for a newer diesel. 3/4 ton 4x4. Will be most likely a 2010-2016. Ford 6.7 and Dodge 4th gens. If I could find the right deal on a duramax I would not overlook that also.

I am wondering is there any major issues that I need to be on the lookout with these year model trucks? Which is going to be less problematic with more miles.

More than likely will be buying around 80-110k miles. Those seem to be in my price range.

I know I could go older cummins and for the most part be in good shape. But am looking to have a bigger back seat and something newer.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a 2012 Dodge 2500 megacab with the 6.7. It currently has 80k miles. About 55k all the EGR crap when out so I deleted it. At about 20k miles the AC went out which was replaced under warranty. Other than those issues I’ve been pleased with my pickup

Comment

If you go with a ford 6.7, try to find a 2013+ as the 11-12 can experience turbo failures around 150-200k miles. With the 13+ you’ll also get a 100hp increase over the previous years.

The build quality has remained solid from 2011+

With the 4th gens, they are all pretty solid. Once again, I’d try to find a 2014+ as they have a much heavier built front end, higher quality interior, and front axle disconnect (no rotation of the axle shafts/front driveshaft which creates drag and wear).

With either one, you should always prioritize finding CLEAN diesel fuel. One contaminated fill up can cost $10k+ as you have to replace the entire fuel system.

That being said, I own a dealership specializing in diesel trucks and will be more than glad to help you track down a good one when your ready.

Comment

Ive just heard too many issues with the fords...

Comment

I bought a 15 F250 with 72k last summer. In less than 6 moths the DEF heater went out. Not covered under the BS warranty they sold me (and woulda been about over 1k to fix it) so I put the truck on a weight loss program. It has run like a top ever since.

Love the truck!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

New dodge a little over 43,000

Comment

Thanks guys these are the answers Im looking for. Which years to stay away from and why. When I get ready I will definitely PM you MattG.

Comment

2016 6.7. 57k and never had an issue

Comment

Originally posted by taylormade820 View Post
                  Ive just heard too many issues with the fords...
                  Such as.......?

I keep hearing all the Liberals on TV telling me the Earth is going to devour humanity with "Climate Change" but they can't give any examples either....

Sorry, I just dislike blanket statements on a certain product that have no basis or examples, or any info for that matter. Now, had you said the Ford 6.0 Diesel is a POS with head studs, intercooler, etc....issues, I'd have known what you were talking about. However, the 6.7 has really been a great diesel and not too many issues.

Comment

I personally have a 2015 ford f250, my dad and my best friend both have 2012's...same trucks. We have all had the same issues and it all goes back to the DEF systems. I'm running mine until the warranty dies and then I'm deleting it. We have fords at work too for our work trucks, only issues we have had with them are DEF issues as well.

I do know there are some fuel pump issues but ford/chevy/dodge all use the same pump. Along with I belive an intercooler pipe ( I could be wrong) that can blow due to higher boost pressures and the pipe being plastic.

All in all, there are aftermarket parts to fix all this. Any newer diesel deleted will run great. They all have there own little issues.

Comment

I have a 2015 Ram that has been reliable. Have about 55k miles, no real heavy towing, couple horses, tractor or a boat.

Have read quite a bit about DEF system issues in the 80k mile range outside of the emissions warranty I’ve been mentally prepared for.

Comment

FIL has a 2014 6.7 ford, got it deleted at 112k miles, 138k his turbo went out. Other than that he hasnt had any issues

Comment

1995, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019.......all the Ford Powerstrokes I’ve owned. All were F250, except for the 19 I just bought and it’s an F350. I say this with absolutely no exaggeration what so ever......I’ve never had any issues out of any of them except for replacing batteries on a few and the 2006 had an issue with the cable that operated the sliding back glass. The Ford Scorpion 6.7 is as reliable as the sunrise. If it is out of warranty (Powestroke has a 100K engine warranty) go ahead and delete it. The two best trucks were the 2008 and the 2012 that were fully deleted. New pipe. Spartan tuner, etc.... I’m not knocking Chevy or Dodge. I’ve just had excellent luck with Ford diesels. I prolly would have owned a Duramax at some point along the way if it had not been for the square fender wells and the big def tank/box hanging down under the passenger side door.

Comment

Haven’t had a single DEF or EGR issue on my 7.3 in 328,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              Haven’t had a single DEF or EGR issue on my 7.3 in 328,000 miles.

I doubt you ever will.

Comment

Working...
                              X