Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your deer camp have that ours don't?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ours has a Javelina that likes to sneak into the shed and sleep in the hay when we leave to go hunting lol

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
      There is still some algae growth, we just act like men when in touches us jk/jk

Edit: Being that we allow ours to overflow and fill into a smaller trough the animals can get to, I'm not sure how long the Chlorine tablets would keep and the last thing we're trying to do is add more jobs to keep up with.
      Well that’s unfortunate y’all have to “ACT” the part of men...

Comment

I have heard that you can add goldfish or koi to those windmill pools and they will keep them clean. People do it with big horse troughs. Not sure how many it would take for a large cistern though it may be easy to toss some chlorine tabs in every time you are there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
          I have heard that you can add goldfish or koi to those windmill pools and they will keep them clean. People do it with big horse troughs. Not sure how many it would take for a large cistern though it may be easy to toss some chlorine tabs in every time you are there.
          Putting a few pieces of silver and/or copper in the water will also keep the algae from growing.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
            Well that’s unfortunate y’all have to “ACT” the part of men...
            Ha! Well played!

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
              Nice!

We have a big cistern, but it leaks. Anyone tried sealing cracks with success?
              Rancher just fixed our windmill and sealed some cracks in the cistern with a blue epoxy type substance. I am waiting for it to fill up. It has a couple feet in it now.

Its a little unnerving that he had to wrap a wire cable around the thing to presumably hold it all together but we'll see how it holds up. Hahaha

Comment

Ha! Well played!
                Serious note, you’re right. Most of these are going to have a little algae. Either way they’re awesome to have come April - September or October.

Comment

All primitive, we enjoy the simple things like sitting around the fire fishing and just listening to nature. ; )

Comment

We have a 20’x30’ covered patio attached to our trailer. We spend most of the time hanging out on the porch while there. It faces south so we get a good breeze in the summer and it’s protected from the cold north wind in the winter.

Comment

Another nice item is a deep freezer. Nice to be able to keep a decent bit of meat/food out there and make a quick trip just by wingin' it on what ever is frozen.

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                      Serious note, you’re right. Most of these are going to have a little algae. Either way they’re awesome to have come April - September or October.
                      I may have to try out the copper/silver idea that Shane mentioned. I don't pass by the windmill on every trip and also try to keep driving to a minimum when hunting, so tablets every trip aren't an easy option.

Comment

Another nice item is a deep freezer. Nice to be able to keep a decent bit of meat/food out there and make a quick trip just by wingin' it on what ever is frozen.

I may have to try out the copper/silver idea that Shane mentioned. I don't pass by the windmill on every trip and also try to keep driving to a minimum when hunting, so tablets every trip aren't an easy option.
                        I used to keep a silver dollar in my dogs' water trough. Water stayed clean and clear. Pioneers used to keep silver in their water barrels for the same reason. Water lines are copper for a reason....

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                          Those sistern “pools” are awesome. This one is on a friend’s place near Lampasas. Great for cooling off after a dove hunt. Even this time of year the water is nut-shrinking cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          That's what I'm talkin bout! Thanks!

Comment

We started out with a trailer, a generator and a windmill with a holding tank like pictured above. We have never swam in it but the temptation is there. Very simple and more roughing it...

14 years ago we got electricity and built a barndo cabin. It is 30x40 inside with 2 bedrooms, a full bathroom and big open space as living area and kitchen (small counter w/ sink, fridge and stove). The 40' side has 10 extra feet of slab and an overhang and the 30' side has a 20' overhang with gravel. So slab is 40x40 and covered area is 60x40. HUGE improvement.

We have satelite and tv to watch college football,etc. We have 2 window units, it doesn't get cold but gets it below 90 when it is 110 outside. We have a smoker and a brick and grate grill under the 20' covered area for cooking. The 20' overhang also has a couple of winches and pulleys to gut, skin and hang animals. Again, huge improvement.

About 10 years ago we replaced windmill with a submersible pump for consistent water. One too many times paying to replace leathers and not having water was enough to make the switch. Constant water is a plus. The negative is sulfer smelling water since the cabins water no longer comes from the holding tank. We do still have the windmill for aesthetic purposes.

Also about 10 years ago we added a 40' shipping container for storage. It really helped keep the cabin area cleaner.

About 5 years we were able to add ~150 acres that goes down to the Nueces River. It isn't constant water but it is nice when there is water for cooling off. Very similar to the San Saba pics above.

Since the family has grown (kids, etc.), I'm working on the next phase of the cabin. We want to add on another 2 bedrooms and a full bathroom to avoid people sleeping on the couch and the morning bathroom line. Hopefully we get this done in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                              They will multiply. I put 8 goldfish from walmart in a big water trough a few years ago. I went by there one day, and there were so many I couldn't keep count...it was round 50. I had to put some cinder blocks in there so they could hide from the birds, as they thinned them out some. There's only around 20-25 in there now. They keep it very clean.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                                Every time I see those windmill tanks I think of this song.

Max Stalling The Pila Song - YouTube
                                Wow, what a way to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X