BBQ question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ question

I'm started smoking meats again because I can't seem to get my husband out here to do it.

I can't remember how to keep the heat down. I have 1 small log in the box, everything closed including the fire box and smoke pipe but I can't get the temp below 240-250. When the log turns to coals, it will get hotter.

Any suggestions?

Try venting the smoke pipe, without opening the firebox vent. Sometimes that'll let heat escape a little faster. There is a perfect ratio of air-in/air-out that will hold any degree you want. You just have to find it.

Comment

curtintex is correct. It's also an art, one that I can't perfect so I continue to use my traeger and turn a dial.

Comment

Ok, thanks y'all!

Comment

Once a few logs burn down to coals it should be easier to control and maintain your heat. Be careful of choking it down to much, you want a clean fire and not lots of thick white smoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a hard time getting mine to run consistently any lower than that. If my intake is cracked and pipe wide open, I run 250. I think some outs just don't flow enough to run that way low.

Comment

I think you're right Mikey. I think that's my problem too.

Comment

Whatever you do, make small adjustments. To the vents, your wood/fuel, etc. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy with widely fluctuating temps.

Comment

I have to leave my stack and fire box wide open to stay at 250°.

Comment

I sometimes, use a spray bottle...…..

Comment

Maybe too many air cracks in places
                      Try folding aluminum foil over air gaps to seal better .

Comment

Not sure what the temps are where your at but when it's above 95 here it's definitely hard to control my temps. I'm not smoking anything today and the temp gage on my pit shows 115. It's 100 outside. It's hard to keep sticks burning and not go over 225.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't forget the pics when it's done!

Comment

You're getting too much air somewhere......however there is nothing wrong with cooking at those temps. Up to 275 is not an issue. As was said it's 110 in there with no fire. Why even try when it's this dang hot?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you able to open the door to your fire box? That will help keep a clean fire as well as let some of the heat escape before it hits the cooking chamber.

Comment

Working...
                              X