No announcement yet.

Living A Healthy Lifestyle (2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I call to you, Lord , come quickly to me; hear me when I call to you. May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice. Set a guard over my mouth, Lord ; keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not let my heart be drawn to what is evil so that I take part in wicked deeds along with those who are evildoers; do not let me eat their delicacies. But my eyes are fixed on you, Sovereign Lord ; in you I take refugeā€”do not give me over to death.
    Psalm 141:1-4, 8 NIV

Comment

hey guys. I need some advice. work is getting crazy and I no longer have the luxury of taking an 1.5 hour lunch to get in my work out(Strength training by way of stronglifts 5x5) What are some good workouts to look into for some good cardio work/HIIT that I can fit into a 30minute lunch? Mornings and evenings are out due to family reasons school/family time other wise I would just move my workouts to one of those time spots. Also, if possible, I would like to be able to maintain as much strength as possible if that makes anysense. in other words I would like to keep my muscle mass but burn some fat so when I can start lifting heavy again I don't have to start all over. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
        hey guys. I need some advice. work is getting crazy and I no longer have the luxury of taking an 1.5 hour lunch to get in my work out(Strength training by way of stronglifts 5x5) What are some good workouts to look into for some good cardio work/HIIT that I can fit into a 30minute lunch? Mornings and evenings are out due to family reasons school/family time other wise I would just move my workouts to one of those time spots. Also, if possible, I would like to be able to maintain as much strength as possible if that makes anysense. in other words I would like to keep my muscle mass but burn some fat so when I can start lifting heavy again I don't have to start all over. thanks
        Circuit training with weights and/or body weight exercises are good. You can do the same lifts you do on your 5x5 workouts, but just do lighter weights and more reps (15-25 reps per exercise) with little to no rest between. Rather than doing all your sets of one exercise before moving to the next exercise like you do with 5x5, plan out a circuit of all your exercises. Then go through the circuit from one exercise to the next with no rest. Complete 1 circuit, rest 1 minute, do another circuit. Depending on how many exercises you have in your circuit, you might go through 2-4 times. I like to get at least 30 sets in. If I have 10 exercises, then that's 3 rounds. If I have 8 exercises, then 4 rounds, etc....

30 minutes doesn't give you a lot of time to warm up and then workout, so you may not have time for 30+ sets. Some is better than none though.

HIIT routines on the row machine, air bike, treadmill, or burpees is a great quick cardio workout. I an app called Tabata Timer on my phone for that. You can set the number of sets and times you want to do. I like to go full blast as hard as I can possibly go for 30 seconds, then rest 1:30. Do that 8 times. It takes 16 minutes. If you go all out during your eight 30-second work periods, you will be laying on the floor in a puddle of sweat at the end.

Yesterday I did a leg/back/biceps circuit workout like I described above, and then I followed it up with a 16-minute HIIT on the row machine. I was WIPED out by the 4th round in the HIIT, but I kept hammering through until I finished all 8. I was a little sweaty at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Circuit training with weights and/or body weight exercises are good. You can do the same lifts you do on your 5x5 workouts, but just do lighter weights and more reps (15-25 reps per exercise) with little to no rest between. Rather than doing all your sets of one exercise before moving to the next exercise like you do with 5x5, plan out a circuit of all your exercises. Then go through the circuit from one exercise to the next with no rest. Complete 1 circuit, rest 1 minute, do another circuit. Depending on how many exercises you have in your circuit, you might go through 2-4 times. I like to get at least 30 sets in. If I have 10 exercises, then that's 3 rounds. If I have 8 exercises, then 4 rounds, etc....

30 minutes doesn't give you a lot of time to warm up and then workout, so you may not have time for 30+ sets. Some is better than none though.

HIIT routines on the row machine, air bike, treadmill, or burpees is a great quick cardio workout. I an app called Tabata Timer on my phone for that. You can set the number of sets and times you want to do. I like to go full blast as hard as I can possibly go for 30 seconds, then rest 1:30. Do that 8 times. It takes 16 minutes. If you go all out during your eight 30-second work periods, you will be laying on the floor in a puddle of sweat at the end.

Yesterday I did a leg/back/biceps circuit workout like I described above, and then I followed it up with a 16-minute HIIT on the row machine. I was WIPED out by the 4th round in the HIIT, but I kept hammering through until I finished all 8. I was a little sweaty at the end.

Awesome! Sounds like a great workout. I am going to have to put pen to paper and get something lined out. Thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I also use the JEFit app to program my workouts, and then I use it during my workouts to keep track of each set and everything. It's a great tool. It allows users to have friends on the app/website, and then you can share workout routines with each other. It will let users share their workout routines with friends (or with the public).

If you want to get that app, I can share some routines with you on there. That's much easier than typing them out here.

Transform your fitness journey with JEFIT - the #1 workout tracking app. Track your workouts, monitor your progress, and achieve your fitness goals with ease. Join millions of users worldwide and experience personalized training plans, detailed exercise database, and community support. Start your journey to a healthier, stronger you today!

My username there is shane2mc. Find me and add me as a friend if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              I also use the JEFit app to program my workouts, and then I use it during my workouts to keep track of each set and everything. It's a great tool. It allows users to have friends on the app/website, and then you can share workout routines with each other. It will let users share their workout routines with friends (or with the public).

If you want to get that app, I can share some routines with you on there. That's much easier than typing them out here.

Transform your fitness journey with JEFIT - the #1 workout tracking app. Track your workouts, monitor your progress, and achieve your fitness goals with ease. Join millions of users worldwide and experience personalized training plans, detailed exercise database, and community support. Start your journey to a healthier, stronger you today!

My username there is shane2mc. Find me and add me as a friend if you like.

Great thanks. I will get it on my lunch break. I need something for my workout tomorrow lol

Comment

Great thanks. I will get it on my lunch break. I need something for my workout tomorrow lol

There are gazillions of workouts on the app already too. You could workout for years just using the ones that are on there. I have been programming my own so I can customize to what my body is telling me I need to do/not do. It works great either way. More trouble to customize your own, as it takes a few minutes to set them up. But once I have them done I can reuse them any time with no effort.

Comment

I think it's time for me to change my program. I've been doing a full body workout 3 times a week since November and have pretty much plateued. I was looking at the 5x5 Stronglifts. Anybody do these or have any opinions on it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
                    I think it's time for me to change my program. I've been doing a full body workout 3 times a week since November and have pretty much plateued. I was looking at the 5x5 Stronglifts. Anybody do these or have any opinions on it?

I do these. I enjoy them. It is a good start to gaining strength. I am bench pressing, squatting, deadlifting more than I ever have. I am starting to reach a point of failure in the sets but you just back off 15% and hit it again next workout until you get back to where you failed. I was able to go past my first fail point but I don't know how far I can get past it. My schedule has made me alter my workouts for the moment. I plan on getting back to it once things slow down.

Comment

I had never really lifted in my life until November. I dropped 14 pounds January thru October and when I started the full body workout and doing te treadmill after the workout in November I dropped 21 pounds. I also keep a food log. I think that helped as much as anything.

My weight has leveled out and I'm not getting any stronger. I think I need more rest between workouts. I was thinking the 5x5 might work. I'm new to this and I'm probably all wrong on my thinking.

Comment

On another note, I've been doing the treadmill 20 to 30 minutes after every workout. Just walking a fast pace and moved up to 10 on incline about 4.2 or so on speed. I've never been able to run any distance. I get winded making a beer run.
                        Yesterday I felt pretty good after my workout and when I got on the treadmill I decided to try running. I ran 1.5 miles at 4.5 and could have went more but was needing to get home. I know it doesn't sound like much but that's a big accomplishment for me.

Comment

On another note, I've been doing the treadmill 20 to 30 minutes after every workout. Just walking a fast pace and moved up to 10 on incline about 4.2 or so on speed. I've never been able to run any distance. I get winded making a beer run.
                          Yesterday I felt pretty good after my workout and when I got on the treadmill I decided to try running. I ran 1.5 miles at 4.5 and could have went more but was needing to get home. I know it doesn't sound like much but that's a big accomplishment for me.

Hey man, progress is progress! If you keep getting better you are doing great

Comment

Heck yeah!

Comment

Last week I missed the gym the last half of the week, but I paddled a few miles in my kayak a couple of days. That counted.

Was back in the gym this morning.

Comment

Find a 9 round fitness close by. It's a great fit for this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X