No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I know why god made this pup so cute! She is the spawn of satan!! Should named her jaws. ok she is just a puppy. At this point I think another child would have been an easier task. Trying real hard to go at this with the reward positive actions for training instead of popping her on the beak. But she hardly has a positive action. Haha yes I am being dramatic!

But lets talk puppy training for a min. Last puppy I had there were not electric collars. Are these a viable option. My friend has one for his gsp and she responds to that beep like nothing else. Never has to give her the shock. Is this something that can be used with training a puppy? And if so would I need one puppy size strength and one for when she gets older?

Issues at hand are all night howling and crying in the kennel. She is good for an hour or so. ( enough time for you to fall asleep) then wakes up to cry and howl LOUDLY for 10 min then gives it a few hours, ( enough time to fall asleep).

Other issue is just being a playful little girl and jumping on my kids. Trying to teach my 4 year old to correctly give her a pop on beak and tell her no instead of running giggling then getting mad after the teeth have been applied to her tender tasty ankles.

Comment

Man I sure love this thread

Comment

Originally posted by jared_bays View Post
        We feed this to Mickey, the 15 week old JRT.

And this to our 10 year old Miniature Pinscher. Its the same formula as the puppy food, just a little lower in fat and protein.
        This is some goof stuff. Just be cautious as it is not uncommon for it to give dogs diarrhea and nasty gas. I had to take my pup off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
          Cool!

That makes four Catahoula’s with Cajun names. (That I know of.)

Gumbo - TUCO

NOLA - Encinal

Boudin - Steve_243

Jenna - Dirtymike

My baby boy's name is Boo Ray. we named him after a really good cajun food place down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post

Ok I know why god made this pup so cute! She is the spawn of satan!! Should named her jaws. ok she is just a puppy. At this point I think another child would have been an easier task. Trying real hard to go at this with the reward positive actions for training instead of popping her on the beak. But she hardly has a positive action. Haha yes I am being dramatic!

But lets talk puppy training for a min. Last puppy I had there were not electric collars. Are these a viable option. My friend has one for his gsp and she responds to that beep like nothing else. Never has to give her the shock. Is this something that can be used with training a puppy? And if so would I need one puppy size strength and one for when she gets older?

Issues at hand are all night howling and crying in the kennel. She is good for an hour or so. ( enough time for you to fall asleep) then wakes up to cry and howl LOUDLY for 10 min then gives it a few hours, ( enough time to fall asleep).

Other issue is just being a playful little girl and jumping on my kids. Trying to teach my 4 year old to correctly give her a pop on beak and tell her no instead of running giggling then getting mad after the teeth have been applied to her tender tasty ankles.
            My pup is an almighty trial as well Mike. I think all of us with new pups can attest to that!

What you have to take into account with a puppy is that when you confine them for 30 minutes, it’s like a 30 year prison sentence to them. Putting your pup in the kennel when she is full of energy is a hard thing for a young dog to take.

I have learned to use the kennel at certain times, & I always put him in the kennel to sleep in overnight. I usually have to let him out about 3 am. to go do his business then it’s back in the kennel until 5:00 am. At 5:30 am. I take him on a 3 mile walk, and then put him on his morning mock trail with his breakfast at the trails end. Then he goes back in his kennel and he is out like a light for the rest of the morning.

I try not to put my pup in the kennel until after I have worn him out. This way he associates the kennel with rest or nap time, not jail time. When I put him in the kennel and he doesn’t want to go, I give him a treat so he associates the kennel with good, not bad. I have never had him raise Cain about wanting to get out of the kennel.

When I have to discipline my pup, I don’t smack him on the muzzle. I think when a pup is being a little rowdy and you discipline them in that manner they will often think you are playing more roughly, and it will make them play and bite more aggressively. When my pup needs to be corrected, I get his attention with a light swat the on the hind end with my ball cap. It doesn’t hurt them a bit, but it does startle them; and they will stop what they are doing.

As for the shock collar; I believe you can get your dog to do whatever you want them to without the use of electricity. You just have to take the time to work with them. Everyone wants their dog to follow commands and do what they are told. Well, that takes work. It doesn’t just come naturally. But some folks become frustrated because the dog doesn’t follow their commands right off the bat. They quickly become impatient because they want results NOW, so they go to the shock collar thinking it will speed up the process. And maybe that is the best avenue for some; but I think you can train your dog to do what you want them to do without it.
            Last edited by TUCO; 07-09-2014, 04:42 PM.

Comment

When is a good time to start blood trailing? Just got my gsp. She is 7 weeks this week

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post

When is a good time to start blood trailing?

Just got my gsp.

She is 7 weeks this week
                That is one cute looking dog Jason!

I started working with my pup as soon as I got him at 8 weeks.

Do you have a deer hide in the freezer, or know someone that does?

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                  That is one cute looking dog Jason!

I started working with my pup as soon as I got him at 8 weeks.

Do you have a deer hide in the freezer, or know someone that does?

Thanks bud. I have a couple of axis hides

Comment

I agree with you on most of it. She is worn out as much as I can wear her out in the morning. Do these things actually get worn out? the evening she is worn out and usually in the kennel with door open or at my feet piled up on my blanket. Popping her on the beak seems to work well for me. Not hurting her but it gets her attention an she don't like it. She stops the biting/chewing. I am not sure on shock collar either. I think she just needs time. But man when she starts howling at 2 am I sure wish I got give her a static charge of shut the heck up.

One thing I did with my pups that worked 15 years ago was peanut butter. Not to stop barking but to start basic behavior training. Started her with it last night and it worked well. Take a bit of peanut butter on your finger and let her smell it. She will try and get it instantly so I put my finger over her head an behind her. Her reaction is to sit an right before she does I say sit and then reward her with licking the peanut butter off my finger. When she bites she gets the finger taken away. She started realizing quick if she is calm an being gentle she gets te treats. She bites down and it's gone. Plus it takes her a long time to lick it off and the whole time I am telling we how good she is and petting her. See how her memory works tonight. Pretty sure I will have more scars before the night is over.

By all means there is a lot of sarcasm in my post. She ain't that bad. And it is fun. She has adapted to our little family better than I expected. But with that said my wife sent me a text letting me know she is sure Jenna was smoking crack today before she got home.

Comment

Originally posted by JANSLEY817 View Post
                      This is some goof stuff. Just be cautious as it is not uncommon for it to give dogs diarrhea and nasty gas. I had to take my pup off of it.
                      I feel ya on the gas deal. Holy cow, I had no idea something that smelled so terrible could come out of such a small dog.

Comment

Sent mine to mans best friend. He will be there two weeks for obedience and leash training. I hope to get him back on blood tracking ASAP. Before I sent him to MBF I had my "pet deer"(he's free range, but thinks he's part of the family) walk through tall grass while I dropped small amounts of blood on the trail he was walking. I used very little blood because I wanted my dog to pick up on the deer smell. He did very well. When the blood ran out he still followed the path the deer had walked 30 minutes earlier. Had some venison at the end of the trail for him.

Comment

I agree with you on most of it. She is worn out as much as I can wear her out in the morning. Do these things actually get worn out? the evening she is worn out and usually in the kennel with door open or at my feet piled up on my blanket. Popping her on the beak seems to work well for me. Not hurting her but it gets her attention an she don't like it. She stops the biting/chewing. I am not sure on shock collar either. I think she just needs time. But man when she starts howling at 2 am I sure wish I got give her a static charge of shut the heck up.

One thing I did with my pups that worked 15 years ago was peanut butter. Not to stop barking but to start basic behavior training. Started her with it last night and it worked well. Take a bit of peanut butter on your finger and let her smell it. She will try and get it instantly so I put my finger over her head an behind her. Her reaction is to sit an right before she does I say sit and then reward her with licking the peanut butter off my finger. When she bites she gets the finger taken away. She started realizing quick if she is calm an being gentle she gets te treats. She bites down and it's gone. Plus it takes her a long time to lick it off and the whole time I am telling we how good she is and petting her. See how her memory works tonight. Pretty sure I will have more scars before the night is over.

By all means there is a lot of sarcasm in my post. She ain't that bad. And it is fun. She has adapted to our little family better than I expected. But with that said my wife sent me a text letting me know she is sure Jenna was smoking crack today before she got home.

The description of your pup, and your experiences with her makes me laugh.

When they get a little older they don’t get any easier to deal with, they just get more stamina…..

And there is nothing for certain when it comes to working with puppies/dogs because they all have different personalities/temperaments. I am just relaying what I have experienced. With the Catahoula I have now, if you swat him on the muzzle, he thinks you are raising the level of play, so he comes back at you with a vengeance. As far as learning obedience commands, using treats is the way to go I believe.

The pup I have now picks up on things very quickly, and often times he tries to manipulate the situation if it is not to his liking. He really wants to please, but he tests the limits set for him as he gets older. Just like a teenager, he pushes the envelope to see what he can get away with.

And I still have battle scars from when I would roughhouse with my pup a little too much the first few weeks I had him. He tore my forearms up with those sharp little teeth.

I'm pretty sure that not one of us would trade their pup for another. No matter how mischievous they have been.....

Comment

Daisy had a bunch of shots today and is very sore. She yelped when I picked her up. I missed our evening walk/run tonight.

I hear ya'll about the attitude, sharp teeth, independence. Any clues on how to get one to quit chasing the cat? She just wants to play with the cat but cat thinks it's life or death. =)

Comment

Chew get your cat a kennel, my daughters weenie dog never like his kennel. Would pee on himself as soon as you would show him one. ( rescue dog) anyhow now that Jenna has come in the house the dude LOVES his kennel. He knows he is safe in there. It's funny cause he hated it for so long now uses it for a place to protect his rear while he can defend the front.

Tuco I was hoping you would say she would grow out of it. and settle down.

Have any of y'all ever seen a dog tackle or chest bump? She will wait till boudin is not looking. Then come running full speed jump and slam her chest into him. It's funny to watch but rather violent as the little weenie dog gets rolled and has had his breath knocked out of him. Never seen a dog do this before. If I see her getting ready to do it I have to let the poor dude know now cause I feel bad for him.

Antler you lucky to have a willing wild deer to cooperate with your deer tracking. That is awesome! You think he or she will stick around when gets older?

Comment

Chew get your cat a kennel, my daughters weenie dog never like his kennel. Would pee on himself as soon as you would show him one. ( rescue dog) anyhow now that Jenna has come in the house the dude LOVES his kennel. He knows he is safe in there. It's funny cause he hated it for so long now uses it for a place to protect his rear while he can defend the front.

Tuco I was hoping you would say she would grow out of it. and settle down.

Have any of y'all ever seen a dog tackle or chest bump? She will wait till boudin is not looking. Then come running full speed jump and slam her chest into him. It's funny to watch but rather violent as the little weenie dog gets rolled and has had his breath knocked out of him. Never seen a dog do this before. If I see her getting ready to do it I have to let the poor dude know now cause I feel bad for him.

Antler you lucky to have a willing wild deer to cooperate with your deer tracking. That is awesome! You think he or she will stick around when gets older?
                                I have a boxer that used to do the chest/shoulder bump with me. He would get about a ten yard run and then jump to me and turn sideways hitting me about chest high on my right arm with his left shoulder. Crazy dog. I have been working on him not jumping at all because I am worried it will catch up to him in a year or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X